iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
Jul 30, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #241 of 454
Quote:
I have a 64gb iPad with 3G, the connection kit, headphonia usb dac cable, and a mustang.  It all seems to work, but the sound is very lifeless compared with my macbook pro, headphonia usb dac cable, and mustang.  I am using JH16 Pros.

Something is definitely not right about the sound.  It may be that the DAC cable draws power out of the computer but can't do it with the iPad.  That could be why the iPad can't charge an iPhone with the kit either.

Quote:
The DAC is definitely not the weakest link.  Surprisingly, the headphonia DAC cable is the best portable DAC I've used.

I think the headphonia DAC cable relies on USB power to provide the best quality sound.  The iPad does not provide enough power using the connection kit... it's enough to support SD cards and camera connections but not enough to power any device. 

Quote:
The uDAC worked flawlessly with the camera kit. Totally automatic, as you said. Only drawback is that it does drain the battery faster than not using it.

This is confusing, because the uDac would have the same 5W/1amp USB power requirement as the Headphonia cable. The iPad charging issue is different, it needs 10W/2amp to charge quickly but will charge directly from some newer Macs, it just takes longer. I think.

Anyways it may not be the output power of the iPad/camera kit that is the problem with the DAC cable since the uDac works.

confused.gif

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #242 of 454

Quote:

Not all USB DAC are supported.  Which DAC are you using?  The DAC must not default to 96Khz like the DACport for instance, which requires a software flash and a powered USB hub to use.  Most DAC's that are limited to 16/48 should work, but some draw too much power and you'll get an alert on the iPad screen.

I have tried the uDAC, iBasso D4, D10 and Pico DAC and they all work.

really?? your D10 worked? mine doesnt I get the error message. I have a solution to these issues though...more later. Idont think the dac has to be limited either; just be able to auto switch sample rates to the incoming signal.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #243 of 454

really?? your D10 worked? mine doesnt I get the error message. I have a solution to these issues though...more later. Idont think the dac has to be limited either; just be able to auto switch sample rates to the incoming signal.

Sometimes I got an error with the D10. Always if the D10 charge switch was on, sometimes even when the charge switch is off. Usually the problem had to do with whether I plugged it in with the volume knob turned in the off position or not. I only tried it that one time and haven't used the D10 since testing it, preferring the D4 for USB.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #244 of 454
What about the new NuForce uDac2, will it also work with the iPad?

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #245 of 454

Quote:
What about the new NuForce uDac2, will it also work with the iPad?

Unfortunately no, the iPad doesn't work with most 24/96 DACs.  Even the DACport didn't work with iPad until they offered software to flash it so it would default to 48khz instead of 96Khz, and then it still needs to be connected to a powered USB hub.  The uDAC is almost cheap enough that you could get both, a 24/96 model for computer and a 16/48 model for iPad.

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #246 of 454
Well, I have the Icon Mobile since before so I plan to use it with my iPad. Perhaps its a better combination as it has its own battery and hence doesn't drain the iPad. Have you tried the icon mobile with your iPad? I can't do it myself as I have big problems in getting a camera connection kit. Living in Sweden (no official iPad launch) might be a part of the problem....

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #247 of 454

Quote:
Unfortunately no, the iPad doesn't work with most 24/96 DACs.  

That's bad news for me- I preordered the new hifiman portable and its a 24bit player

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #248 of 454

That's bad news for me- I preordered the new hifiman portable and its a 24bit player

HiFiMan USB is 16/48 or less, so you are okay. It's 192k via coax.

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #249 of 454
I just got my camera connection kit and apparently my (legacy) MobilePre is an old model that is not class compliant.

Anyone found a good unit to use with the iPad that does both DAC and ADC? I know I can buy a newer MobilePre for $99 but there have to be better options in this price range.

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #251 of 454
Nice job, deserves its own thread so it can get updated and doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #252 of 454
Nice, that's helpful. To make it more clear, my MobilePre has a blue and silver case whereas I believe the new models which do work are black and silver.

HarmonicDog (maker of the app Multitrack DAW) has a list here of other units which have been tested, at the bottom of the first post (top section is iPhone stuff): http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6&sid=5328158b2e21c13c8a46007063edae94

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #253 of 454

Quote:

Just an attempt to compile a list what has been confirmed to work and what does not.  It would be great it people could add to the list as they try additional DACs!

Thanks,

-john

Confirmed works
- Nuforce uDAC [Skylab, Headphoneaddict, uofmtiger, torcik]
- DacMagic [uofmtiger]
- Xitel Pro Hifi-Link [deadie]
- Predator [jc9394]
- iBasso D4 [Headphoneaddict]
- iBasso D1 [trickywombat]
- Pico DAC [Headphoneaddict, warp08]
- Micro II usb/digital [kredmore]
- Headroom Total BitHead [qin]
- Headroom Desktop Portable amp w/DAC [muski]
- TTVJ Portable w/DAC [grawk]
- TTVJ Slim DAC/Amp [gopack87]
- Fiio E7 [Jack-Micca, feiao]
- C&C F1U USB DAC/Amp [phytonix]
- Meier Corda Symphony DAC/Amp [Noumenon]

Issues(?):
- iBasso D10 [qusp - doesn't work; HeadphoneAddict - works]
- Headphonia USB DAC (works but seems "lifeless") [utdeep]
- DACport (works after flash update) [HeadphoneAddict]

Doesn't work
- MobilePre (legacy) [porieux]
- iQube V2 portable [Skylab]
- Yulong D100 home DAC [Skylab]

If I recall correctly, the D10 would not work with the charge switch in the "on" position, and it had problems sometimes with drawing too much power, but not always.  

I don't recall if the solution was to turn it on before plugging it in, because the turning on the power switch would cause the "too much power" alert to come on; or if it had to be off when you plugged it in and then you'd turn the power on.  One of those methods worked for me, if I recall.  I'll have to try the D10 again when I get back home in a few days.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #254 of 454

Quote:
If I recall correctly, the D10 would not work with the charge switch in the "on" position, and it had problems sometimes with drawing too much power, but not always.  

I don't recall if the solution was to turn it on before plugging it in, because the turning on the power switch would cause the "too much power" alert to come on; or if it had to be off when you plugged it in and then you'd turn the power on.  One of those methods worked for me, if I recall.  I'll have to try the D10 again when I get back home in a few days.

If you could figure it the specifics, it would be good to see if Qusp can reproduce the working configuration so we can rule out potential hw or firmware differences.

Based on the need for the DAC having to *start* out 16 bit for things to work, there are also possibly other variables that may be difficult to replicate.  For example, perhaps he used it with another source that wasn't 16 bit and the DAC defaults to the mode last used.

Thanks,

-john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back