iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
Apr 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #61 of 454
Quote:

I'd either want to stream music to it from a server (because of the limited storage space on the device)

Are you aware of a way to serve it lossless files without transcoding them to a compressed format? I have the Simplify app on my iPad, but my understanding is that it transcodes to a lossy format.

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #63 of 454
Apr 29, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #64 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rogue Amoeba | Airfoil Speakers Touch: Receive audio from Airfoil on your iPhone & iPod Touch
there ya go. It's what I use

I have this program and use it to stream to my Airport Express. I also have the app on my iPhone and iPad. However, my main problem with it is that you can't control the music (via logmein) from your iPad while it is playing. This means you have to go to the computer and start playing music after the app is opened.

When Apple adds multitasking, I can use logmein to control the source and play it back on my iPad at the same time...then it will become more useful for the iPad.

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #65 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. I can't imagine having an iPad purely as a music server-- I'd either want to stream music to it from a server (because of the limited storage space on the device)

Oh, it's not that limited, to the point of uselessness. I have 220+ albums in ALAC that take up 64GB, so lets say you add your favorite most-listened-to 150 albums, that still leaves you 20 GB for movies, photos, and apps. Plus it's very easy to sink up with iTunes and add or delete albums. (not that your streaming solution is not better)

The camera kit comes with a SD reader, so i wonder if eventually this will allow a way to add media.

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #66 of 454
I got my Camera kit today and did a few tests. I have it hooked via USB to a Headroom Desktop Portable amp with built in DAC (which has a mini-usb digital in). As expected, no problem with playback from the iPod app.

Just for fun, I tested with both my iPhone 3GS and my iMod. No dice -- unsupported accessory message on both. It will be interesting to see if they decide to support it on the upcoming iPhone 4G.

Then I went back to my iPad and tried the Pandora app -- worked (too bad the bit rate isn't higher). In Safari, I opened a 64kbps AAC+ stream from Radio Swiss Classic -- that also worked. 64kbps AAC+ is not bad quality for streaming audio. Very listenable.

YouTube worked, too.

I'll do some more testing. It looks like there is a way to stream FLACs to it -- though I'm not sure if it's bit-perfect. I used to test this by playing back DTS FLACs to my surround sound receiver -- if it decodes it means it's bit perfect.

muski

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #67 of 454
Well looks like everyone's amp/dac (TTVJ, Pico, D4, Predator) suddenly appreciate in value.

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #68 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you aware of a way to serve it lossless files without transcoding them to a compressed format? I have the Simplify app on my iPad, but my understanding is that it transcodes to a lossy format.

I'm waiting until I can use it wirelessly to control another Mac's shared iTunes library; that way I can have it controlling my Mac Mini or an old G4 laptop, hardwired bit-perfect into my audio system with virtually unlimited storage.

The only time I want my iPad "tethered" is when it's charging. It would be the ultimate "couch surfing" device, with web browsing/e-mail, comics/e-books, and Netflix/Hulu literally at my fingertips, what more could I want this for; maybe the car.

This way I can just get the 16/32gb version and be
smile.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #69 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm waiting until I can use it wirelessly to control another Mac's shared iTunes library; that way I can have it controlling my Mac Mini or an old G4 laptop, hardwired bit-perfect into my audio system with virtually unlimited storage.

The only time I want my iPad "tethered" is when it's charging. It would be the ultimate "couch surfing" device, with web browsing/e-mail, comics/e-books, and Netflix/Hulu literally at my fingertips, what more could I want this for; maybe the car.

This way I can just get the 16/32gb version and be
smile.gif

thats exactly what i want! i want to be able to sit in bed with my ipad and listen to the music from my macbook pro playing through my dac into my amp...

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #70 of 454
Quote:

thats exactly what i want! i want to be able to sit in bed with my ipad and listen to the music from my macbook pro playing through my dac into my amp...

I don't have a mac, but this is the way I use it for my PC and/or airport express setups. Logmein controls the PC in the other room and I have airfoil push music to my airport express. Keep in mind that airfoil will also allow you to stream to separate sources. So you could be playing the same song on your iPhone, iPad, airport express, and computer.

Also, if you just use iTunes, you can control it with the "remote" software app that is for the iPhone.

Quote:

Oh, it's not that limited, to the point of uselessness.

I don't think it is useless, but I would not buy one for that specific purpose. I use mine all the time, but if it was tethered, it would lose some of the actual purpose I bought it for. That being said, the camera kit is cheap enough that you could buy it and use it for those specific times you want to have it tethered. It is actually just a nice bonus feature...I would love to have it for my iPhone, too.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #73 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noumenon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, it's not that limited, to the point of uselessness. I have 220+ albums in ALAC that take up 64GB, so lets say you add your favorite most-listened-to 150 albums, that still leaves you 20 GB for movies, photos, and apps. Plus it's very easy to sink up with iTunes and add or delete albums. (not that your streaming solution is not better)

The camera kit comes with a SD reader, so i wonder if eventually this will allow a way to add media.

While I agree that 64gb is a good chunk, it's just not quite enough to be a "server". I'll certainly be using my iPad for bedside listening as well as in other more portable applications
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #74 of 454
Can someone please test if applying a EQ setting like Bass booster will distort the music to no end like when using HP out or LOD? Im hoping that it will provide a cleaner improvement seeing as a high quality DAC should be able to work with it better.

cheers

Lint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back