iPad iPhone bit-perfect DLNA/UPnP wi-fi streaming 24bit or DSD files / high storage capacity / portability
Apr 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #79 of 249
Major UPDATE!

I've the best unpowered USB HUB that works with iPad/CCK.
It's a slim cable with USB male (to connect iPad/CCK) to 2x USB female connectors, so to use a USB DAC and a USB charger at the same time.
The advantage is that it's like a cable, small and flexible, and any portable USB charger works (so no more data and power check requirements), but there's more...
If the iPad is able to feed a USB DAC the USB charger isn't even necessary: for example Audioquest Dragonfly is reported working without USB charger.

Thanks to whodiini for suggesting this USB HUB cable.
The US eBay link is http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-90-degree-angled-male-to-2-female-extension-data-hub-rainbow-color-cable-/110855033353?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item19cf799209 .
If you are in eBay Italy just search "prolunga USB HUB" and you'll find plenty.
Since there are a few similar models just check which USB connector type is in each side to avoid connectors issues!!!
The following picture shows the connectors I use in each side.

I'll update my current setup picture and OT in the following days.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #81 of 249
Thanks for the links, but I'm not sure the iPad specific USB hub cable will works since in the normal USB Hub cable the male USB connector must be plugged to iPad/CCK direction and the 2 female USB ports are versus USB DACs and USB charger.
The directions of data and power may have different results based on devices at each end of the USB Hub.
I doubt too that it could be avoided the Camera Connection Kit using that iPad dedicated cable, if so it'll be useless giving the target of this thread based on extractiong USB audio from iPad with a CCK.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #82 of 249
Quote:
Can you use FLAC Player to play files NOT stored on the iPad via wifi?

Quote:
Hi joefonebone

Yes......I have WD Mybooklive where I store my flac files

I have FLAC player and inside the app isn't avaiable a way to wi-fi stream FLACs to iPad from a DLNA/UPnP server.
Could you explain your setup to make FLAC player app works via wi-fi streaming?
Thanks

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #84 of 249
For me 8player is still the best app to make an iPad a wi-fi DLNA/UPnP renderer, it can plays FLACs but I'm still not sure they're bit-perfect.
I've no more an external USB DAC that shows bit/freq received and 8player was updated a few times since last test I've conducted (ambiguos results), when contacted the developer answers positively my request to check that issue.
So, will somebody please can try the newest 8player with high res FLACs and check with a USB DAC the bit/freq effectively received?

Thanks

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #85 of 249
For me 8player is still the best app to make an iPad a wi-fi DLNA/UPnP renderer, it can plays FLACs but I'm still not sure they're bit-perfect.
I've no more an external USB DAC that shows bit/freq received and 8player was updated a few times since last test I've conducted (ambiguos results), when contacted the developer answers positively my request to check that issue.
So, will somebody please can try the newest 8player with high res FLACs and check with a USB DAC the bit/freq effectively received?

Thanks

Can't help with your question but thank for turning me on to 8player!

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #88 of 249
Since I've received questions why some USB dacs won't work, I've detailed more Point 2) regarding two problems to solve (driverless and USB port to provide power to pass iPad power check 20mV MAX) with examples.

More:
Lately I've experimented with power connections and directions, they do matter where the USB charger is attached.
The previous following config with a USB male to USB male cable to connect the USB Tekkeon charger to the USB cable hub will not last long as much as the next config below.

The new following config use an Y split USB cable (one end power only > USB charger) which last longer, maybe this way the USB charger gives power only to the USB DAC, while the previous config gives power to Hub and iPad too. Dunno for sure but the results are different, so check where you put the charger!

OT picture updated.

What a mess to remember how many things to check and do it in the right way!

May 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #90 of 249
Quick updates - also posted on http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad/690

(1) The Matrix USB-SPDIF (24/96) coax out WORKS with the following set up: iPad mini > CCK > Matrix USB-SPDIF. No additional power is needed, although it also works with a powered hub or the UNITECH Y-cable. I cant really tell if the iPad mini charges (or even discharges slower) when connected to power through the CCK. Any thoughts?

(2) The Peachtree Audio t1 (24/96) coax out WORKS with the following set up: iPad mini > CCK > Powered Hub (or Unitech Y-cable) > Peachtree t1.

I should also mention that the support people at Matrix (US division) and Peachtree were super helpful.

Thraex - thanks again for leading the charge on this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back