iPad-Fi
Jan 9, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #543 of 623
capacitive meaning it detects the body's electricity, rather than its heat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Technologies

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #545 of 623
While they're capacitive, if you... actually heat was the wrong word... if you have dry hands (due to the cold, mostly) then you'll find it sometimes won't register your input since you need something to keep a good level of conductivity between your finger and the screen (i.e. skin oil most of the time). 

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #546 of 623

Quote:
While they're capacitive, if you... actually heat was the wrong word... if you have dry hands (due to the cold, mostly) then you'll find it sometimes won't register your input since you need something to keep a good level of conductivity between your finger and the screen (i.e. skin oil most of the time). 

Not true.  It works fine through thick plastic screen savers.

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #547 of 623
I have a BodyGuardz screen protector on mine. Cold dry hands = couldn't swipe to open the dock. Only happened once or twice though. Conversely when I was wearing some thin gloves that got damp due to the weather the other week, I could use the phone instead of having to take them off as normal.

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #548 of 623
iOS 4.3 offers multitouch gestures for your iPad! :D

4-5 finger swipe up/down to bring up the multi-taskig bar, left/right to switch between apps directly
4-5 finger pinch/spread to enter last used app (I think)/exit to the home screen

iPad 2 to have no Home button?! iPhone 5 to do away with it as well?!

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #550 of 623
It's on Gizmodo and Engadget, but here's a YouTube vid:

Skip to about 3mins in.

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #552 of 623
Nice, slightly buggy with Skype and such but other wise I can see the potential. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #553 of 623

Quote:
theyll definitely be adding those gestures, but they wont take away the home button, it would preclude you from using the phone one handed

Originally Steve Jobs wanted the iPhone to have no physical buttons and while I don't think the iPhone 5 will get rid of the Home button entirely, IMO it would be better suited on the back opposite the camera; accessed by your index finger but not in the way for holding it. You can see from their design choices over the years (going more and more unibody/no visible seams) and moving buttons out of sight that if they had a good method of doing everything the home button does, without actually using the button itself, then it'll work it's way to the product line.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #554 of 623
I'd look forward to a no button Iphone 5 just to see what else they could bring to the table. I doubt this will happen but you never know.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #555 of 623
I wouldn't mind seeing the Home button go away. If there's a good workaround, I'm up for it. My guess is they'd like to increase the screen to cover the entire front of the iPhone. The screen could be a lot bigger without the button and moving the speaker and camera around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back