iPad-Fi
Jan 18, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #571 of 623
The only thing that would make me sell my current iPad and buy a new one would be a 128GB drive...

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #572 of 623
Does anyone know I can control a "bassy" head phone via EQ while listening to Sirius streaming to my iPad? I am interested in the Denon AH-D1100 headphones for their closed design and portability but I am a bit worried having never heard them yet but the word is they are very bass intensive.  I mainly listen to Classic Rock, Classical (Baroque mostly) and talk radio (NPR) and am not a bass head by any means.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE my iPad and have made it the center of my "entertainment delivery" platform so I am always looking for ways to optimize it for my use.  I need closed headphones as my wife apparently enjoys my presence while she watches her TV shows but I am not into her shows at all.  I think a closed headphone would fit the bill perfectly.

I have tried to research EQ'ing on an iPad but it is unclear how I can achieve that while using my Sirius app.

Thanks..

Tom

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #573 of 623
Listen first - I bet you will love the D1100 as they are.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #574 of 623

The only thing that would make me sell my current iPad and buy a new one would be a 128GB drive...

I had planned to wait until the third generation to update, but some of the rumored changes make the second generation enticing. The SD slot would be a nice addition, as would the high resolution screen. If ther's any way of transferring my data plan to the ipad2 then I'll give the upgrade a long, hard look. To be sure, though, my ipad generation 1 will go to some impoverished family member. It would be hard for me to want to sell a first generation apple product.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #575 of 623

Quote:

I am with you there...

but a USB port so I can avoid having to hook my dac/amp up with the Camera connection kit would also be something that would have me looking at an upgrade...

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #576 of 623
The (micro) USB port may be for AC charging only, as it was put in to comply with new EU universal charging standards but hopefully I am wrong. If Apple does allow full USB interoperability it will likely have the same voltage restrictions as the Camera Connection Kit does IMO. An SD cardslot would be quite nice for extra content capacity though, but again only if Apple allows it to be used that way. For me the big ones are the doubling of the RAM from 256MB to 512MB for better multitasking, and the addition of a Facetime camera for video conferencing with my severely hard of hearing mother. I have already sold off my 1G iPad, as I wasn't using it that much but have saved my accessories for the most part in anticipation of the next generation.

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #577 of 623
If it has an SD card slot, my money would be bet on it only being a way for you to transfer pictures from a digital camera onto the device, whether for storage or editing (where's Aperture for iPad eh?) rather than a way of increasing storage.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #579 of 623

A

I took your advice and ordered the Denon and added a FiiO E7 portable DAC with iPod connecter that works with the iPad. I will put this gear to the test on Sunday as I fly out to SF from Philly!

Well, hopefully the weather has improved for you out here by then! Be sure to let us know how they work out for travel... I am interested in them since they fold flat. Not to jack the iPad thread...

Chris

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #580 of 623
If Apple really does double pixel density on the iPad 2, that would be a decisive advantage over the batch of Android 3.0 tablets that are readying for release. Most of those are targeting resolutions in the 1280*720 ballpark, which is about iPad 1 pixel density. Still, a screen with that sort of resolution so far beyond anything that's currently in that marketspace that I'd be surprised if Apple does pull it off while meeting pricing and volume targets. It'd also make the screens on all their notebooks look like crap.

As far as the other rumors, the A-series SoC updates (dual core Cortex A9 CPU, dual core SGX543 GPU) make a lot of sense. nVidia's Tegra 2 is the reference platform for Android 3.0, and an A-series spec bump of that magnitude is a necessity if iOS's hardware is going to keep pace. With any luck, Apple gets their ducks in a row and springs for 1GB of RAM too. Infineon to Qualcomm baseband switch also makes sense. Infineon's baseband has taken a lot of blame for poor reception since the original iPhone and Qualcomm makes a CDMA/GSM/UMTS baseband chip that would consolidate Verizon and ATT models.

Still holding out hope for a 7" iPad with polymer back, but looks like Jobs doesn't want to go there.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #581 of 623

If Apple really does double pixel density on the iPad 2, that would be a decisive advantage over the batch of Android 3.0 tablets that are readying for release. Most of those are targeting resolutions in the 1280*720 ballpark, which is about iPad 1 pixel density. Still, a screen with that sort of resolution so far beyond anything that's currently in that marketspace that I'd be surprised if Apple does pull it off while meeting pricing and volume targets. It'd also make the screens on all their notebooks look like crap.

As far as the other rumors, the A-series SoC updates (dual core Cortex A9 CPU, dual core SGX543 GPU) make a lot of sense. nVidia's Tegra 2 is the reference platform for Android 3.0, and an A-series spec bump of that magnitude is a necessity if iOS's hardware is going to keep pace. With any luck, Apple gets their ducks in a row and springs for 1GB of RAM too. Infineon to Qualcomm baseband switch also makes sense. Infineon's baseband has taken a lot of blame for poor reception since the original iPhone and Qualcomm makes a CDMA/GSM/UMTS baseband chip that would consolidate Verizon and ATT models.

Still holding out hope for a 7" iPad with polymer back, but looks like Jobs doesn't want to go there.

Good point, The price is going to limit some of these dream items... They are going to want to stick with a price point. And let's face it, Apple is going to only put out a few upgrades in each version so we keep coming back for more!

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #582 of 623
That would be great if the processor and RAM took the kind of leap marvin described, dual core Qualcom and 1GB RAM but I think we may have to wait for the iPad 3 for those, the higher rez screen as well. I would expect that the USB port, Verizon compatibility, 512k RAM and a front-facing camera will be enough upgrades for this spring, along with a choice of sizes perhaps.

Quote:

Good point, The price is going to limit some of these dream items... They are going to want to stick with a price point. And let's face it, Apple is going to only put out a few upgrades in each version so we keep coming back for more!

X2, That's the name of the game for Apple: walking a fine line of staying ahead of the competition yet behind their target market's ultimate desires 
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #583 of 623

Quote:
That would be great if the processor and RAM took the kind of leap marvin described, dual core Qualcom and 1GB RAM but I think we may have to wait for the iPad 3 for those, the higher rez screen as well. I would expect that the USB port, Verizon compatibility, 512k RAM and a front-facing camera will be enough upgrades for this spring, along with a choice of sizes perhaps.

Quote:

X2, That's the name of the game for Apple: walking a fine line of staying ahead of the competition yet behind their target market's ultimate desires 
tongue.gif

they wont change the size, or at least not go smaller at all. too many apple execs have already said that anything smaller is a waste of time.

i just cant believe that they sold 14 million of the damn things last year!!

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #584 of 623
Quote:

Apple's going to be hurting if they don't seriously spec bump the hardware platform. The Motorola Atrix (Android 2.2 phone) and Xoom (Android 3.0 tablet) are coming out this quarter and both will sport nVidia's Tegra 2 and 1GB of RAM. It's also a pretty safe bet that all high end Android phones and tablets will be sporting similar processing and graphics horsepower by the end of 2011. If Apple insists on soldiering on with the A4 for another year, iOS products are going to hobbling along with less than half the hardware performance of high end Android devices. As well as iOS runs, it can't even come close to closing that sort of performance gap.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #585 of 623
Do you guys really care about a camera on the iPad? I could careless personally.  I would prefer a higher resolution screen and a card expansion slot for additional memory in the next gen device.  I am not a power user by any means so it doesn't take much to make me happy as I absolutely love my iPad in current form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back