iPad-Fi
Aug 10, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #481 of 623
I have used the Zagg product on my iPhone and iPods. It is finicky to put on, but very effective. Let me first address installation.

It seems very difficult to get all the bubble out. However, the product appears to shrink as it "dries". The bubbles disappear. What you are left with is a very smooth surface with an interesting feel after it is finished.

There is no doubt that it provides incredible protection. Apparently, it is made from the same product as is used to protect the leading edge of helicopter blades. Obviously, this is based on what I read in the marketing materials.

I haven't added it to my iPad. Currently, I am relying on the standard Apple case for protection. I doubt the iPad would fit into the case with the Zagg skin installed.

If someone wasn't going to use a tight-fitting case, I would recommend consideration of the Zagg product.

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #482 of 623
Granted, the screen protector was more relevant before capacitative touch screens and devices in general got a big slab of hard glass on top of the screen. Don't know about the iPad; with the iPhone 4 I'm more concerned about shock from dropping instead of scratches.

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #483 of 623
I don't use screen protectors with my iPod touch and now my iPad. The touch doesn't even have a case and it's been dropped, kicked and even thrown mild distances. The screen has been next to keys and coins, been laid flat on rough surfaces and smooth ones. There are 4 small scratches that you have to really peer at to see on the front after two years of hard (and when I say hard, I mean to say that the back is bend from a drop onto steps) use.

I see no reason to use a screen protector on top of glass unless you plan on dropping the thing onto concrete; it simply doesn't get hurt otherwise.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #485 of 623
Oh gosh, they're expensive.  When I asked, they charge about $60 to apply a protector on.

All, unless you want to reduce glare or don't trust yourself, you really don't need a screen protector.  I used to have them on my iPhone and took it off.  6 months later, still scratchless.

So I didn't bother putting one on my iPad (but use a protective case). 

There are plenty of videos online that demonstrate the amazing resistance of these screens by using nails and other metals to try to scratch them. 

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #486 of 623
i personally dont use a screen protector either but some people at work were talking about the zagg stuff when we were distributing all the Evo's we got in.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #488 of 623
I skipped the screen protector on my Otterbox Defender case as I always have the hard cover on when mine is in a bag etc.

So far I have the Apple Case, the travel case from in case I think that holds the blue tooth keyboard and some Krave case that is a padded carrying case. I like the Otterbox far better that all the others and it is nice that it can slide into the travel case to make it easy to carry everything.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #489 of 623
bought a otterbox defender and got it in yesterday. It was $50 at amazon. Really like it but my sm3 iems plug does not fit in it with the case on the ipad. It adds some weight to it but it doesnt bother me, i am a man afterall.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #491 of 623
i tried the matte films. while i like the smoothness of it it was harder to do some gestures and it seemed to stay dirtier all the time. I took it off and went bareback. I tried once again to install the film that came with the otterbox but there were some specks that I wasnt happy with and took it off.

Quote:
I don't use a screen protector on anything I have and have been lucky I guess but I am thinking about a stand for the iPad.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #492 of 623
I use a BoxWave anti-glare screen protector. Having been a PDA user long before there were smartphones, I've tried and used many different screen protectors. There might be nothing tougher than ZAGG's InvisibleShield, but it has a grippy texture, and is not anti-glare. The BoxWave is thinner than the ZAGG, but also far smoother (fingers actually glide across it easier than on a bare screen, in my opinion), and is easily the best anti-glare protector I've used.

The BoxWave is also much easier to install than the ZAGG, requiring no liquids or sprays. Dust is easily removed with Scotch tape during the installation process. With all the practice I had from years of applying these things (only on much smaller screens previously), the installation ended up so clean you'd be hard pressed to know there was anything at all on my screen--except for the fact that there's virtually no glare.

The BoxWave anti-glare protector is also easy to clean. I use KlearScreen spray (also called iKlear), and its accompanying cloth. (I also use the pre-moistened KlearScreen wipes, with a mini KlearScreen cloth to buff, when I'm on the go.). By the way, if you're not familiar with KlearScreen (again, also called iKlear), it contains no alcohol, and restores your screens (including laptop screens) to as close to when your devices were brand new better than any other cleaning solution I've tried. (It does not remove scratches, however.)

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #493 of 623
Bought a powersupply (or whatever the name of the co was) protector.  Nightmare of an install, decided I don't want to mess with it and have been perfectly happy w/o a protector since.  Glare is a nonissue as I don't actively seek out sunny spots to use the thing.  Really wish I didn't listen to the paranoid folks' "oh no mine got scratched!" rhetoric early on though, would have saved me 40 bucks.  A faintly visible mark when you're at exactly x degree angle to the ipad is not even close to being an issue.  Smudges on the ipad can be cleaned off easily w/o any cleaning equipment, and 99% of the time you can't see it when it's turned on anyway.

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #495 of 623

Thanks jude for the iKlear suggestion I will pick some up was cautious about a cleaner. Anyone try the Griffin iPad stand?

I did pick up the Griffin A-Frame, if that's the one you're referring to. Great, solid stand. I did, however, end up returning it. It is quite heavy, and I was looking for something to carry around.

I just ended up picking up the official Apple iPad case, and use that as a stand. However, the Apple case as a stand is, for me, limited to simply propping up the iPad as a screen. It's not sturdy enough as a stand to allow for screen handling (poking, swiping, etc.) without some amount of caution or bracing. The A-Frame, on the other hand, props the iPad up sturdily enough (in either orientation) that it feels like you could practically push your finger through your screen before it toppled over.

The A-Frame is a great stand if what you're looking for is mostly a stand for your desk that you would only occasionally need to tote around (it does fold quite flat). For that kind of need, it would probably be my first choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back