iPad-Fi
Aug 5, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #436 of 623
here is a list of iPad compatible cydia apps for those interested: http://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key=tHnYEq4SmhIGOgbH9TVgXgA&type=view&gid=0&f=true&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #437 of 623
I think the best part of the iPad is the ergonomics of it. I basically have all the power of my laptop web browsing (Jump app) and watching videos (Air video) but I'm not confined to a desk or having to put it on my lap and sit down like a laptop. I can change positions and move around easily and I can tell it is so much better for my body than a laptop.

I'll agree that it can be awkward in bed. Either you hold it up laying on your back or out it down and prop your head up or lay down flat on your stomach and use it flat in front of you. Only the last one I find comfortable. Holding it up can get tiring on the arm, the laptop wins here as it had the bottom hinge to prop on your chest to hold it up. On your side with neck up I feel is very bad.for my neck.

Also it was definitely awkward before I got the Apple case, which makes a huge difference. Much more easily grippable and the angled feature is very nice.

Btw, seriously if you have a strong network and a fast Windows computer I highly recommend using Jump. Go thru your local area ip, with the port forwarded, use RDP, use 1024x768 res, use HQ fonts and nothing else, play sound thru iPad, make your scroll bar wider with Microsoft Origami, set taskbar to left and auto-hide, use in landscape and lock screen but keep pointer and muse circle on... and it's super super win for web browsing.

I never use Safari or iCab or Atomic now, just Chrome on my laptop through Jump. It is nicer to have a dedicated machine you can use for Jump only as changing settings on the computer could be a pain. That's how I do it and it's soooo wonderful. Jump in this setup is so fast, much faster than Safari on iPad. Scrolling is less smooth but you can get around faster with the wide scroll bar from Origami. For reference, videos through Jump play about half to a third speed than normally, but that's really good for other tasks like browsing.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #438 of 623
So you use the iPad to remotely access something that actually works well... Ok. Like the people at CanJam who use it as a glorified remote... Hmm. This is quite interesting, as I don't understand the logic of having a device that doesn't do what you need it to in the first place. What do you know, I learn something new every day!

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #439 of 623

Quote:
So you use the iPad to remotely access something that actually works well... Ok. Like the people at CanJam who use it as a glorified remote... Hmm. This is quite interesting, as I don't understand the logic of having a device that doesn't do what you need it to in the first place. What do you know, I learn something new every day!

True, but the remote access setup is so awesome that it has a ton of value for me. Not sure why this is reason to bash on the iPad? In fact I think it's a testament to its awesomeness with its versatility and the fact that it draws in developers that make really quality programs like Jump.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #440 of 623

Quote:
 True, but the remote access setup is so awesome that it has a ton of value for me. Not sure why this is reason to bash on the iPad? In fact I think it's a testament to its awesomeness with its versatility and the fact that it draws in developers that make really quality programs like Jump.

I have never used Jump, but I use Logmein on the iPad quite a bit.  I have Logmein software on my laptop, too.  It is about getting to computers in other places while I am on vacation or lounging on the couch.  I also like the versatility.

Quote:
 Like the people at CanJam who use it as a glorified remote 

Yes, it is a fantastic remote for music.  I use it with the Apple Remote software or Airfoil to control music sources on my media computer and that streams to the Airport Express setups I have around the house.  I also use it to control my main system that is hooked up  directly to the media computer.  It is great for controlling it without having to turn on the plasma. I am not sure how this is a downside? 

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #441 of 623
I was stuck on the notion that remote access stuff is mostly for work-related stuff but that sounds like a fantastic idea.  How much of a performance hit is there (on the system being remote-accessed) and are there solutions compatible with Win7?  I have a sub 21in monitor on the side when I don't have my TV turned on, if I can junk that in place of some decent ipad software that would be awesome.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #442 of 623
Well, my Spirit jailbroken iPad 3G with MyWi 4.0 is a great bonus that is saving me $10/day for 5 days on internet for my laptop while I'm on vacation.  Highly recommended.  MyWi has already paid for itself after the first 2 days.

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #443 of 623

Quote:
I was stuck on the notion that remote access stuff is mostly for work-related stuff but that sounds like a fantastic idea.  How much of a performance hit is there (on the system being remote-accessed) and are there solutions compatible with Win7?  I have a sub 21in monitor on the side when I don't have my TV turned on, if I can junk that in place of some decent ipad software that would be awesome.

the performance hit hasn't been too bad from what i've used but then again its hard to tell because im not physically on the machine. for windows 7 you can use any of the RDP(remote desktop protocol) clients. i recommend iTap RDP or for free you can try RDP Lite and it works pretty good too. you will need to enable RDP on your win7 machine first though. instructions can be found online. they also have VNC clients which would require you to install the VNC server on your windows machine which isnt difficult at all and it has the bonus of being the native client for Linux and and Mac OS. i cant recommend any clients though for VNC. i've only used the RDP clients for managing the servers here at work from time to time.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #444 of 623

Quote:

No performance hit that I can tell but I have a very fast i5 machine with an SSD and I mainly web browse. I use Win7 64bit and you can use any RDP client. Personally I love Jump because it has a mouse circle that enables precise mouse movement and clicking, which I find essential for Windows use on the iPad. And the shortcuts are very good, like two finger scrolling, two finger tap for right click, and three finger keyboard open and close. As well the interface is very clean, the only things are the mouse, mouse circle, and a very small transparent bar (only about an inch across and half a cm down) at the top, and sometimes the kb.

Using the 1024x768 res and making the scroll bars thick with Origami (google for good blog guides) are very key for me.

No harm in trying the free clients first though.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #446 of 623
Logmein is great, but there is no audio.  It sounds like Jump beats it on that front.  I have never tried anything other than Logmein, so I can't say if it has anything over Jump. 

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #448 of 623

Quote:
is there NX for ipads? If so that would work great for remote desktoping

Quick google reveals that it's not planned yet.

I'm using Jump for the first time not on my network, at a coffee shop right now and it's significantly slower. I'm not sure if it's the google cloud login method I'm using vs straight ip, or if it's the coffee shop connection. When I'm on the same network at home the performance is really awesome (connected straight via local ip address).

Still usable definitely but slower.

Apparently Microsoft is revamping RDP for Win7 SP1, but I think it's only runnable off a server version of Windows and client works on the Win7 machine or something like that. If I were them and wanted to make an iPad competitor I think a machine designed strictly to use RDP that was super optimized with their new software could be really great. According to MS the new RDP they're using can play videos smoothly, if true that would be incredible.

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #449 of 623

Quote:
Logmein is great, but there is no audio.  It sounds like Jump beats it on that front.  I have never tried anything other than Logmein, so I can't say if it has anything over Jump. 

How do you find the controls on Logmein? You have to rely on tapping to hit accurately right?

I'd try it but these remote apps are pricey.

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #450 of 623

Quote:

Audio is nifty but it's not synced with video, usually a little bit off, I suspect a limitation of the RDP. I use it to watch live webcast interviews and it works well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back