iPad-Fi
Apr 7, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #91 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that isn't true. The iPad has a totally different processor. The only thing it shares with the touch is the operating system, which is scheduled to be updated very soon. They're announcing new iPods soon and the word is that they will include the new processor and a completely new os designed for the new chip.

The ipads battery is twice the size of a touches battery and has four times the charge.

false, iphone 3gs uses the A8 processor and the ipad uses the A4. they are essentially the same processor. the A4 is an A8 processor with much of its IO removed.

Deconstructing the iPad's A4 Chip: It's Still a Giant iPhone - Apple a4 teardown - Gizmodo
The A4 and the A8: secrets of the iPad's brain
iPad's A4 processor uncovered | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com

that isnt the word, the word is that the OS was built on A8 tech so it moves seamlessly to the A4 as it's the same architecture. why would a company completely rewrite an OS to accommodate a chip? they wouldnt. especially not a powerhouse like apple. chip manufactures build stuff for them that can be used as painlessly as possible. the chip may be new but it isn't "totally different".

also, to those with the wifi problems apple has released a "fix"
Apple confirms iPad issues with dual-band WiFi routers, offers fix (sort of) -- Engadget

and really, to each there own. i think this is a useless gadget and is all hype. if you love yours then love it. i dont appreciate the spreading of misinformation though.

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #92 of 623
I remember comparisons drawn between different phones when I bought my Palm Pre last year in June. For all its merits, I heard the same broken record response from every corner of the internet. It was no longer the iPhone itself that made the iPhone the platform to covet... there were things the Pre did better, like multitasking and a much better notification system. It had a hardware keyboard for everyone that hated the idea of being limited to a touch screen keyboard (which I did at that time).

The deal breaker for the iPhone toting masses was the app store. It was third party support for the device in the form of accessories, add-ons, and applications. The iPhone had a huge lead on any competition -- Android, WebOS, etc. That is what they'd have to go up to go on another platform. And let's be honest-- it might make more sense to go the route of another platform, and you'll find devices there that have USB and SD slots and such. I'm sure there will be great solutions based on other operating systems, though I'm not holding my breath on any OS that wasn't designed for touch screens.

(hell, if Palm were making a tablet-- and maybe they will if they can survive and begin growing again-- I'd consider buying it because that's how much I like their OS and interface, and they're finally getting around to having a solid SDK that can do more than just HTML, CSS and javascript.)

So yes. The iPad isn't the be-all, end all. It's not as terrible as some people would like you to think, it just is what it is-- and they either don't care for Apple or they wanted something more (usually when I get annoyed with Apple it's when they don't give me what I want, heh.) The "ecosystem" will make it popular, but I think there will be other solid tablets too, and those will make more sense for some users.

I wish MS would make their stuff work with other platforms. I'd have tried a Zune by now if they'd work with a Mac at all.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #94 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
false, iphone 3gs uses the A8 processor and the ipad uses the A4. they are essentially the same processor.

I see you are right on that, but in functional terms the iPhone and iPad are two different animals. I have both, and the iPad is much more responsive and faster. The software must be optimized differently. I bet the next iPhone os update is going to be a doozy. The 3G iPhone must not b even close to taking advantage of the processor.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #95 of 623
due to the small form factor of the phones you have to squeeze in a pretty small battery. because of that they had to down clock the processor to get any sort battery life. with time comes better battery technology and OS tweaks which is how the 3gs was able to bump the clock speed a bit. so it's not all that surprising to get that kind of battery life on the ipad or have it run nicely with proprietary hardware and only allowing one task to run at a time.

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #96 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with time comes better battery technology and OS tweaks which is how the 3gs was able to bump the clock speed a bit.

The difference was really that Apple went with a more modern processor architecture with the 3GS (ARM Cortex A8, PowerVR SGX) compared to the Original/3G (ARM11, PowerVR MBX). Modern processors tend to have nice things like low power states, increased integration, etc. that greatly reduce power consumption, especially under low processor loads.

Quote:

I see you are right on that, but in functional terms the iPhone and iPad are two different animals. I have both, and the iPad is much more responsive and faster. The software must be optimized differently. I bet the next iPhone os update is going to be a doozy. The 3G iPhone must not b even close to taking advantage of the processor.

The iPad's CPU has a 66% higher clock speed and effectively runs the same software. That's enough to make the iPad very snappy in places where the iPhone was just adequate.

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #97 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
691404701.jpg

tongue.gif

Biggest laugh I've had on head-fi EVER!,,,,

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #98 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i really dont get it
frown.gif
it doesnt multitask! how is this useful at all!?

i want to understand, really I do - can anyone enlighten me?

It will come July my friend

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #99 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mere fact that it doesn't have a keyboard limits its capacity for creativity, I would think. It is obviously intended as a one-way device--the internet talks to you, but you're not particularly meant to talk back.

It's a content delivery device. Not much more.

Which is fine, maybe. I often think that everyone posting online, definitely including myself, could stand to do more reading, less writing.

New invention called blue tooth wireless keyboard for those creative types

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #100 of 623
I had one for a few days and took it back...too heavy, rape prices in the app store, didnt actually do anything useful - I already roll with a MBP 17 and an HP elitebook 17 - the itunes OS is too weak to replace my rigs, screen annoying to eread off of - and my 64gb touch plays music fine...I did get some strange looks when I took it back. Safari is an unholy abomination as well...how can people use that as their main browser...firefox + adplus for life.

Audio quality was good, but my ears arent golden so ill let my betters here decide on where it ranks.

btw I could type pretty fast on the glass - I was very impressed by my typing speed. no tactile feedback is wierd tho...COMPUTER? COMPUTER LOCATE CAPTAIN KIRK!

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #101 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by twylight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had one for a few days and took it back...too heavy, rape prices in the app store, didnt actually do anything useful

Why exactly did you buy it in the first place if you didn't have some kind of intended use in mind? Just for the hell of buying it? I honestly don't get it. One would think there is sufficient information available out there to help you decide whether this would be a useful device to you or not prior to buying one. It sounds like could have easily determined that your wants and needs were met via your Touch and other computer rigs.

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #102 of 623
Last time I checked I can do what I want without checking in with you first...I run IT for a very large energy company and wanted to check the thing out. I was very impressed by the touchscreen/hardware aspect of it and massively unimpressed with the itunes/software/functionality of it.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #104 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by twylight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last time I checked I can do what I want without checking in with you first...I run IT for a very large energy company and wanted to check the thing out. I was very impressed by the touchscreen/hardware aspect of it and massively unimpressed with the itunes/software/functionality of it.

It's your right to buy gear willy nilly. But then you go make a point about "I returned it" like it's some huge failure-- honestly you could have saved yourself the trouble. It'd be one thing if an expectation wasn't met-- like you didn't like the sound quality, or something else didn't perform as expected. But to say "It doesn't do anything useful"-- that's something, IMO, you could figure out without the hassle of buying and returning. But hey... if you like the hassle of returning stuff you don't care for, more power to you
wink.gif
This thing is in high enough demand that I'm sure your returned item went right back out the door.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #105 of 623
Quote:

You've forgotten that the iPad has image, sound and movie libraries built in. You don't have to hook up a laptop. The media files are right at your fingertips. No fiddling with file formats and sizes. It all works. When you want to give your presentation, you plug in the VGA adapter and your iPad is driving the projector, with the controls on your ipads screen and the show without the controls on the projector.

It's the same with page layout in pages. You can even export your documents to the file format of ms word or PowerPoint.

I don't know how a laptop would be any better than an iPad if there's no Internet access. If anything, a 3G iPad would be a lot better than a laptop, because you would get Internet access just about anywhere.

I have not forgotten anything, I prefer carrying Toshiba M700 with the extra battery, extra hdd with 500 GB music library in the cd drive slot, several usb , firewire, SD card slot , PCMCIA slot. Only a lighter slate with basic i/o would justify getting rid of Toshiba for its weight. Ipad with its mediocre software and absence of any i/o, pen input etc, won't cut it for me. It is a beautifully designed and very expensive picture frame.

Without internet access every laptop is tons better. With internet access you have a slight chance to save the day with Ipad i.e. remotely hooking to your big machine or public libraries or files you placed on rapidshare or similar.
Ipad is no computer without internet access, and a stationary or laptop computer at hand, not really. 3G would be better but again more expensive machine for a machine that can't do much anyway, why not an usb slot too?

Where are you going to export your keynote presentation if there is no internet to send it as an email attachment etc. ? No way to get the file out on a cheap memory stick. If a need to share a file with somebody I would have to give him the IPod itself ?? This is really supid...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back