ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Sep 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #61 of 532
My iPhone 5 (iOS7) is connected to a Seagate Wireless Plus that is in my car's armrest (about 1 foot from the phone) and to the audio equipment by way of the lightning to USB Camera Adapter (aka CCK). I've tried three different FLAC apps so far on 24/96 files with the following results:

8Player - no problems other than the occational very brief stutter (maybe once every other song) - I've read that it does not downsample
AcePlayer - no stuttering, but it stops playing when the phone auto-locks (2 minutes) - I've read that it does downsample
MoliPlayer - no stuttering, but it stops playing when I unlock the phone after it auto-locks
Mconnect - stopped working after iOS7 update
Remote File Browser Pro - seems to work OK

I wish I had a DAC that reported what it is receiving.

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #62 of 532
The older iPhones with the 30-pin dock connector all worked fine with a regular USB cable plugged into my car stereo (MFI). I'm wondering if the iPhone 5/5S will work the same, or whether I will need the Lightning to USB adaptor.

Edit: never mind, they added iPhone 5 to the compatibility list

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #65 of 532

I would perhaps try closing all the background apps on the 5c (which you can do 3 at a time with iOS 7's new app switcher!) and see if that makes a difference. Multitasking works differently on iOS 7 compared to 6 - you can enable/disable backgroud refresh on a per-app basis, for example. I guess the app used to play the music will make a difference too. I'm using iTunes Home Sharing with the stock music app but that's not to say other apps capable of 24/96 will work properly - which app are you using?

Graham

I finally got a chance to try this -- closed all other apps, and then restarted the Music app.   Same result.  Files that are native 44.1kHz play back cleanly at 44.1kHz, files that are native 48kHz play back cleanly at 48kHz, but files that are native 96kHz play only for a few seconds and then the stuttering starts.  This is all with the HRT microStreamer, iPhone 5c, and iTunes Music Sharing using the latest install (11.1) on a Mac.  

Now the good news -- inspired by your success, I tried my Fiio E17 through a hub.  iTunes streaming allows me to listen to 24/96 files without playback issues.  This works on the slower iPhone 4 running iOS7.  Audio is clean and clear.  Hooray!

That means it is a specific incompatibility with iOS7, 96kHz playback, and the HRT microStreamer.  Perhaps it can be fixed with a firmware issue, as HRT were the ones who modified the firmware to make the microStreamer iPad-compatible this past summer.   In any event, since this is a pretty special use case for the iPhone for me, I'm pretty happy I can get compatibility for 44.1kHz an 48kHz playback on the microStreamer, and 96kHz playback on the E17.

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #66 of 532
  I finally got a chance to try this -- closed all other apps, and then restarted the Music app.   Same result.  Files that are native 44.1kHz play back cleanly at 44.1kHz, files that are native 48kHz play back cleanly at 48kHz, but files that are native 96kHz play only for a few seconds and then the stuttering starts.  This is all with the HRT microStreamer, iPhone 5c, and iTunes Music Sharing using the latest install (11.1) on a Mac.  

Now the good news -- inspired by your success, I tried my Fiio E17 through a hub.  iTunes streaming allows me to listen to 24/96 files without playback issues.  This works on the slower iPhone 4 running iOS7.  Audio is clean and clear.  Hooray!

That means it is a specific incompatibility with iOS7, 96kHz playback, and the HRT microStreamer.  Perhaps it can be fixed with a firmware issue, as HRT were the ones who modified the firmware to make the microStreamer iPad-compatible this past summer.   In any event, since this is a pretty special use case for the iPhone for me, I'm pretty happy I can get compatibility for 44.1kHz an 48kHz playback on the microStreamer, and 96kHz playback on the E17.

Have you tried switching the devices around? iPhone 4 to HRT and 5C to E17?

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #67 of 532
hI just though i would post too (my first i think)
i have an iphone 5 with lightning to 30pin and a ipad 30pin to usb CCK pluged it into my cheep £1 usb hub and into my Muse USB to Coax and then to my dac and worked a treat :)
sad i know and not portable by some way but next step lighting to usb and a cheep portable dac to give it a go

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #68 of 532

Have you tried switching the devices around? iPhone 4 to HRT and 5C to E17?

HRT works fine with both iPhone 4 and 5c at 44.1 and 48k.  HRT has issues with both iPhone 4 and 5c at 96k via iTunes streaming).

E17 works fine with iPhone 4 at all sampling rates (44.1 and 48k local, and 96k streaming).  I did not check the 5c but have a strong feeling that it would work just fine.  I don't think the issue is hardware related at this point. 

EDIT:  Got my answer on the HRT microStreamer over at the microStreamer thread.  Turns out that the microStreamer DAC is not compatible with iPhone OS, but iPad with iOS7 works fine.  So it is a specific DAC issue.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647693/sonic-satori-hrt-levels-the-field-with-the-microstreamer/495#post_9830824

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #69 of 532

HRT works fine with both iPhone 4 and 5c at 44.1 and 48k.  HRT has issues with both iPhone 4 and 5c at 96k via iTunes streaming).

E17 works fine with iPhone 4 at all sampling rates (44.1 and 48k local, and 96k streaming).  I did not check the 5c but have a strong feeling that it would work just fine.  I don't think the issue is hardware related at this point. 

EDIT:  Got my answer on the HRT microStreamer over at the microStreamer thread.  Turns out that the microStreamer DAC is not compatible with iPhone OS, but iPad with iOS7 works fine.  So it is a specific DAC issue.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647693/sonic-satori-hrt-levels-the-field-with-the-microstreamer/495#post_9830824

Good news either way. At least you got it to work with 44.1 and 48. Where do you get your high res music from anyways? All I have are regular CDs.

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #70 of 532
Hdtracks.com is where I buy most of my hi-res audio. I too have had success with my iPhone 5 on iOS 7 with a small passive USB hub in between the Lightning to USB cable and various DAC/Amp combos: Fiio e17 up to 96/24, Headamp Pico up to 96/24, RSA Intruder up to 48/16.

While all of these combos sound pretty impressive, the kludge of cabling with the small USB hub needs some work. Time to build myself a custom cable to clean things up. Or I'll continue to use my Apple certified Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo -dB DAC in a bundle with my iPhone and RSA Intruder. Overall a heavier setup to carry around but it powers my HD800 headphones and is cleaner than the cable kludge of this workaround.

I really wonder if Apple will leave this option open in future firmware updates. It must really be making the certified Apple DAC manufacturers angry...

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #71 of 532
I don't know if this was conclusively determined earlier in this thread, I may have missed it, but is the CCK/lightning adapter required for compatibility with portable DAC's? It seems to be that it's just a basic USB adapter, that all you should really need is a short lightning/30-pin from your phone to your DAC, unless there's some special voodoo in the adapter itself? I'd love to get something like an RSA Intruder to output a balanced analog signal from my iPhone's digital out, without having a bunch of extraneous cable hanging out of my pocket

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #72 of 532
I don't know if this was conclusively determined earlier in this thread, I may have missed it, but is the CCK/lightning adapter required for compatibility with portable DAC's? It seems to be that it's just a basic USB adapter, that all you should really need is a short lightning/30-pin from your phone to your DAC, unless there's some special voodoo in the adapter itself? I'd love to get something like an RSA Intruder to output a balanced analog signal from my iPhone's digital out, without having a bunch of extraneous cable hanging out of my pocket

Unfortunately it does require the CCK/Lightning to USB adapter. I've tried the 2 Lightning to miniUSB cables that I have for my Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo -dB but neither of them worked. The CCK/Lightning to USB adapter actually implements the rest of the USB host interface required by non-Apple certified DACs - remember that the CCK was originally designed to allow direct connection via USB with digital cameras. The iDevices never had a full USB host interface on either the 30 pin or Lightning connectors.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #74 of 532
I am pretty sure the Pico is 16/48 max over USB. Or do you just mean 24/96 files play, not that they are being accepted at that rate?

No, the Pico is capable of 96/24 over USB... see the original thread for it here on Head-Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/258967/headamp-pico-portable-amp-w-optional-upsampling-24-96-usb-dac-pre-order-thread

My Pico has always accepted 96/24 source material, and I highly doubt Justin would design it to accept 96/24 and then down sample for playback. It does up sample lower rates to 96/24 so I'm pretty certain that playback is done at 96/24. Unfortunately the Pico has no indicators to tell you what sample rate it's playing, but I'm going to continue with the belief that it does support 96/24 over USB.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #75 of 532
Looking over that thread it was asked a few times if the Pico accepted 24/96, the answer was consistently no. My hat it maxed at 16/48, but internally up samples to 24/96.

One of Justin's replies:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/258967/headamp-pico-portable-amp-w-optional-upsampling-24-96-usb-dac-pre-order-thread/3615#post_8754762

It's not a big deal, just don't want people misled.

(I also happen to own one, on my Mac it maxes at accepting 16/48 in MIDI setup and through Decibel)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back