ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Sep 20, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #31 of 532
VERY VERY important news this CKK-> USB compatibility up to 24/96 with iOS7 !  

Does this mean that with iOS7, we do NOT need anymore the  iDevice version of the M8 and we can use the M8-LX  instead with our iPhone ?

I am very interested because I could swap my M8 on back order for a LX version in order to be able to also use it with my AK100 DAP !

Someone even mentioned it working with the  KERO LOD  !   could someone give me a link to the  KERO LOD  so that I can see what it is ?

thanks

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #33 of 532
  VERY VERY important news this CKK-> USB compatibility up to 24/96 with iOS7 !  

Does this mean that with iOS7, we do NOT need anymore the  iDevice version of the M8 and we can use the M8-LX  instead with our iPhone ?

I am very interested because I could swap my M8 on back order for a LX version in order to be able to also use it with my AK100 DAP !

Someone even mentioned it working with the  KERO LOD  !   could someone give me a link to the  KERO LOD  so that I can see what it is ?

thanks

Only for now since Apple has broken unintended functionality with updates in the past.  This also screws over their MFI partners a bit so I wouldn't be surprised if they did something to change this.  You run the risk of losing your ability to use the M8 at all with your iDevice if Apple changes this.

I also like a single tiny cable solution with proper MFI support than having a dock in between, or worse, a dock plus a hub, plus a cable, etc. when trying to be mobile.  But that is personal preference.  This is great news for people wanting digital out of their iDevices without putting down tons of money for a new device.

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #34 of 532
This should be a permanent change for apple. They are listing the new camera/lightnig cables as being compatible with both iPads and both iPhone models. It is this camera compatibility functionality tha allows dacs to be connected.

I'll be picking up the camera connection cable today and patiently waiting for the release of the leckerton 760.

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #36 of 532
They are separate cables. They have a camera cable and a SD card cable. I dont know if apple used to make the standard cck square adapter with lightning connector but looks like only cables now.

Local stores may have older stock if one was ever made. I'll find out later this afternoon. I like the cable idea better though- less bulky more flexibility. Plus I don't want my iPhone tied to a stack, as I'll still be using it to surf, type emails, etc, while listening to music. A longer cable will help make it easier to do all that at the same time.

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #37 of 532
They are separate cables. They have a camera cable and a SD card cable. I dont know if apple used to make the standard cck square adapter with lightning connector but looks like only cables now.

Local stores may have older stock if one was ever made. I'll find out later this afternoon. I like the cable idea better though- less bulky more flexibility. Plus I don't want my iPhone tied to a stack, as I'll still be using it to surf, type emails, etc, while listening to music. A longer cable will help make it easier to do all that at the same time.

And can someone show me what is the " KERO LOD " ? 

thanks

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #39 of 532
So it sounds like if 24/96 is still locked to streaming in iOS7 then there's no hope of an improved codec in the 5S. Oh well.

Sir, What do you mean by " ...sounds like if 24/96 is still locked to streaming in iOS7 " ?

For me this iOS7 news is a VERY Good news if i can really play WITHOUT ANY DOWN-SAMPLING my 24/96 files stored in my Phone/iPod on a " NON Apple approuved " external DAC ! Even of it is not PERFECT, IMO this is à big Stéphan forward !
What else do you want ?

Question is: besides the bulky CKK , Will the nice Apple lighting-to-USB câble also works to extract 24/96 from an iDevice under iOS7 ??

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #40 of 532
Sir, What do you mean by " ...sounds like if 24/96 is still locked to streaming in iOS7 " ?

For me this iOS7 news is a VERY Good news if i can really play WITHOUT ANY DOWN-SAMPLING my 24/96 files stored in my Phone/iPod by à " NON Apple approuved " external DAC ! Even of it is not PERFECT, IMO this is à big Stéphan forward !
What else do you want ?

Question is: besides the bulky CKK , Will the nice Apple lighting-to-USB câble also works to extract 24/96 from an iDevice under iOS7 ??

Going off of this post:

On DAC/amps that work:  Some require a powered hub, and some don't.  The Fiio E17 requires a powered USB hub inserted after the adapter but before the DAC/amp, for example, or a USB hub that somehow reduces the power draw (I have an el-cheapo random hub from Fry's that works like this).  The microStreamer does not. 

On 24/96:  Apple's stock Music player only plays hi-rez via iTunes sharing.  You can't load the files onto the device as iTunes won't let you -- says they "won't play on this device." 

On iOS7 and this feature:   iOS7 apparently enabled this capability on small devices like the iPod Touch and iPhone.  In iOS 6 and earlier, inserting the adapter would bring up the message "This accessory is not supported by iPhone."  The iPad has had the DAC/amp capability through the CCK for a while now, going back at least to iOS 5, and maybe even earlier. 

As for the iPhone 5 and this capability, I will see if I can try this tomorrow (we are getting a new 5s delivered to the house then). 

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #41 of 532
AH !!! What is " iTune sharing" ??

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #45 of 532
AH !!! What is " iTune sharing" ??

Run iTunes on a computer on your local WiFi and use the Sharing portion of the Music app to connect to music library on the computer. 

By the way, I have played 24/96 files locally (but not using Apple's stock Music app) on an iPad mini through the Lightning-to-USB connector and then to the microStreamer and gotten 96kHz playback to work.  I've also gotten the Fiio E17 to play back these files at 96kHz, but I needed a USB hub to do it.  The method I used employed the Seagate Wireless Plus, a $200 wireless hard drive which allows you to download files to its own Seagate Media app on the iPad.  The main roadblock right now seems to be getting the 24/96 files to the iDevice in the first place, and next to find an audio app that can "see" these files and play them at their native sampling rate. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back