ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Sep 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #17 of 532
Just to chime in...

My iPhone 4s with iOS7 now works exactly the same with my Dragonfly/CCK/cheap unpowered hub as my iPad 3 always has :)

Using iTunes Home Sharing off my Windows Server, 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k and 96k are all played at their native bitrate on the Dragonfly. The Dragonfly will only handle up 96k; 176.4k and 192k are both downsampled to 96k in real time (I imagine iTunes handles this part) for playback.

Interesting that the most significant new feature of iOS7 for me, has gone unmentioned in any of the articles I've read! I was running iOS6 jailbroken on the iPhone, hoping for an update for the Cameraconnector app that never materialised. How ironic that the one piece of functionality I hoped would be enabled by jailbreaking has actually been delivered by Apple!

Graham

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #18 of 532
is there anyway i can get the functionality of the CCK on my 3GS without IOS 7??

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #20 of 532
I'm imagining them dac manufacturers who paid pretty steep licenses to get the digital feed would be really pissed now heh

The CCK dongle is still sizeable.  The Apple-approved devices can have really short cables to connect them.   But if someone is willing to live with a little extra length, the cost goes way down.  Example:  a Fiio E7K runs $90 or so, and either the 30-pin CCK or the Lightning-to-USB adapter costs $30 from Apple.  The Apple-approved MFi devices typically cost upwards of $400.

DISCLAIMER:  Haven't checked the E07K myself for compatibility on iOS7. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #21 of 532
is there anyway i can get the functionality of the CCK on my 3GS without IOS 7??

Yes, but you'll need to get an Apple-approved DAC/amp which is expensive.  Right now, it is actually cheaper to start over and get a new iPod Touch 5th gen and Lightning-to-USB adapter, as that plus a decent non-Apple-approved DAC/amp like the microStreamer will probably run you less than the Apple-approved DAC/amp alone.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #22 of 532
+1 on the iPod Touch, but the iPhone 5c is pretty cheap on contract too and it has the better A6 chip if you can persuade your parents to get you one.
I'm not sure if Apple will still update the iPod Touch line this year (with A6) as they announced a new colour a few days ago.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #23 of 532
so let me understand this correctly. You can plug in your camera connection kit adaptor to your 30 pin on an iphones 4s or Ipad 3 using IOS7 and plug in a USB to mini USB cable to plug into a DAC like a Fiio E17 for instance and get 24/96 quality???

So can you plug camera connection kit into iphone 5 lightning connector and do the same??

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #24 of 532
There are currently no reports of the specific combination of iPhone 5 + Lightning CCK +E17 working, as there aren't enough people who have tried it yet. If Apple has decided to enable iPad features for iPhone and iPod Touch, then the usb dacs that have worked with the iPads would PROBABLY work too.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 532
There are currently no reports of the specific combination of iPhone 5 + Lightning CCK +E17 working, as there aren't enough people who have tried it yet. If Apple has decided to enable iPad features for iPhone and iPod Touch, then the usb dacs that have worked with the iPads would PROBABLY work too.

Would the lightning micro USB adaptor work as well? In place of the CCK? Would that make sense? That would reduce the form factor if its possible

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #26 of 532
  Yes, but you'll need to get an Apple-approved DAC/amp which is expensive.  Right now, it is actually cheaper to start over and get a new iPod Touch 5th gen and Lightning-to-USB adapter, as that plus a decent non-Apple-approved DAC/amp like the microStreamer will probably run you less than the Apple-approved DAC/amp alone.

Devices like the HifiM8, aren't just more expensive due to apple licensing.  Many are also superior in quality to something like the Fiio and the Microstreamer.  But certainly, this new development reduces the barrier to entry for hi res portable playback.  I wish Android handset manufacturers would follow suit, but way too much fragmentation.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #27 of 532
  so let me understand this correctly. You can plug in your camera connection kit adaptor to your 30 pin on an iphones 4s or Ipad 3 using IOS7 and plug in a USB to mini USB cable to plug into a DAC like a Fiio E17 for instance and get 24/96 quality???

So can you plug camera connection kit into iphone 5 lightning connector and do the same??

On DAC/amps that work:  Some require a powered hub, and some don't.  The Fiio E17 requires a powered USB hub inserted after the adapter but before the DAC/amp, for example, or a USB hub that somehow reduces the power draw (I have an el-cheapo random hub from Fry's that works like this).  The microStreamer does not. 

On 24/96:  Apple's stock Music player only plays hi-rez via iTunes sharing.  You can't load the files onto the device as iTunes won't let you -- says they "won't play on this device." 

On iOS7 and this feature:   iOS7 apparently enabled this capability on small devices like the iPod Touch and iPhone.  In iOS 6 and earlier, inserting the adapter would bring up the message "This accessory is not supported by iPhone."  The iPad has had the DAC/amp capability through the CCK for a while now, going back at least to iOS 5, and maybe even earlier. 

As for the iPhone 5 and this capability, I will see if I can try this tomorrow (we are getting a new 5s delivered to the house then). 

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #28 of 532

Devices like the HifiM8, aren't just more expensive due to apple licensing.  Many are also superior in quality to something like the Fiio and the Microstreamer.  But certainly, this new development reduces the barrier to entry for hi res portable playback.  I wish Android handset manufacturers would follow suit, but way too much fragmentation.

No argument there.  I've got the M8 on preorder, and I may do some comparisons.  But I can tell you that the new capability will make for some really nice portable rigs.  I was walking around the house with the iPhone 4, microStreamer, and Fiio E12 in my pocket yesterday feeding ESW9s.  The sound of that rig is awesome for the size and weight. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #30 of 532
I have an iPhone 4 that I updated to iOS7 yesterday.  I also have an ODAC.

Tonight, I picked up this CCK locally.  I hooked it all up (iP4 > CCK > ODAC > amp).. and, unfortunately, my iP4 flashed the dreaded, "this device uses too much power" error.  I found a small (unpowered) Belkin hub I had around the house and tossed that into the chain (iP4 > CCK > unpowered hub > ODAC > amp).. result?

It worked flawlessly.

I tested playback with multiple audio players/apps (Soundcloud, MOG, web streaming via chrome, etc.).. it all worked w/o a hitch.  I did not test for hi-res playback yet, though.  Amazingly, I now have USB audio output on both my DAPs/phones: my iPhone 4 (running iOS7) & my Galaxy S3 (running TouchWiz).  

gym-dance.gif
LwOoH46.gif

I've got this (cheaper) CCK on the way, as well (so I can return the exorbitantly priced CCK I picked up today)... I'll report back if it works.  Pair it with a small two port USB hub (like this or this), and you've got a pretty sleek mobile solution!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back