ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Jun 2, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #436 of 532
Good info ~ Thanks so much for the reply.

Is this behavior standard for CCK?
Is the iPhone just controlling the volume of the amp in the Microstreamer or is there actual attenuating going on on the level of the line out?
My apologies as I don't have anything compatible to test with here so I appreciate the info greatly.

I think the gain change on the headphone out is digital only, so lower gain than max means fewer bits are being used. It is a 24-bit device, so it is not a problem if it works this way; the limit in the dynamic range is the amp section for most portable DAC/amps.

You could ask in the microStreamer thread to be sure as the designer often answers directly about such things.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #437 of 532
Thanks so much for the info guys.
Microstreamer looks my top choice for next portable amp.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #438 of 532

To make things simple, dac from centrance, Sony n teac incorporated chips to do away with CCK. For awhile I had almost given up trying to hook up a portable rig with iPhone without carrying massive cables.. till I found these adapter.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #439 of 532

Would an iPhone 6+ with ios8 connected via CCK to a Chord Hugo be as good as AK240 (RWAK240) for SQ and user interface? Trying to decide on a portable solution and yes I know that ios8 comes out tomorrow Sept 17 so no one could comment on that yet but based on current experience with ios7? If the AK240 solution is clearly superior then no need to order a 64 gB phone...

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #440 of 532
The user interface when using a iphone with an external DAC and a CCK is really more a function of the app that one is using for playback than IOS.

I use nPlayer as my app of choice, but there are many apps that can do the job.

As far as SQ that is really more a function of the DAC. The phone is just a transport (think bit bucket)

So I think the call is how you feel about the Chord Hugo vs. the AK240.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #443 of 532

To make things simple, dac from centrance, Sony n teac incorporated chips to do away with CCK. For awhile I had almost given up trying to hook up a portable rig with iPhone without carrying massive cables.. till I found these adapter.

What adapter is that?

Btw iPhone 5s w/ios8 and dragonfly dac = no go :'(

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #444 of 532
arrghh!!! just got my new iPhone 6 and CCK .. tried connecting it to my RSA PREDATOR and got the dreaded power message.  this cable looks perfect looking for a small solution can anyone link another small cable that works? is it just for bypass or do i still actually have to power the cable as well? thinking of getting a portable power pack to power the hub if thats the case. maybe energizer ?

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #445 of 532
arrghh!!! just got my new iPhone 6 and CCK .. tried connecting it to my RSA PREDATOR and got the dreaded power message.  this cable looks perfect looking for a small solution can anyone link another small cable that works? is it just for bypass or do i still actually have to power the cable as well? thinking of getting a portable power pack to power the hub if thats the case. maybe energizer ?

I use CCK to my M8 LX via usb tipe B, after upgrade to ios 8 its sometime say not enough power, but sometimes work just by restart my ipod touch 5g. Never happen before when used ios 7. Maybe its ios 8 bug/problem?
I suggest to restart your apple device.
If its not work try shorter usb cable. I cut my USB A to USB B its not show power problm

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #446 of 532
I use CCK to my M8 LX via usb tipe B, after upgrade to ios 8 its sometime say not enough power, but sometimes work just by restart my ipod touch 5g. Never happen before when used ios 7. Maybe its ios 8 bug/problem?
I suggest to restart your apple device.
If its not work try shorter usb cable. I cut my USB A to USB B its not show power problm

thanks for this.. i have a really short belkin cord that isn't working but i saw a little earlier that just head type connectors may do the trick... ill try that next 

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #449 of 532
Wow. Nice Mod.

------------------------------------------------

I dont use CCK for my Hifi-M8 (I use a Venturecraft lightning 7N), but I have all the bits and pieces for CCK.

Not as nice and small as yours.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #450 of 532
Great thread.  Thanks for all the helpful posts!

So I have an iPad mini.  I purchased the CCK.  Works great with the mini connected to my Woo WA7 (used as a DAC and as an amp) via a 1 meter USB A to B cable.  Then I try to connect the mini via the CCK and USB to my Beresford Caiman DAC > Woo (as an amp only) and the dreaded "power" message pops up.  I tried restarting the mini and no joy.  So I think I may need the powered hub to get this combo to work.  

What powered USB hub that's small and doesn't require an AC connection is recommended for this job?  

Thanks for any help!

HS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back