invested an amp but...
Sep 1, 2010 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

niotio910

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I don't have golden ears like many headfiers in this forum. When I hook my DT770 (250 Ohms) directly to my computer, I can't see any big difference with Edirol (24bit DAC) + GS Solo II setup. The only thing I can see is a bit better sound stage and a bit more warmth. Now I feel that the Solo isn't worth it :frowning2:

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 6
I would imagine the Solo to be a transparent amp, allowing the signal of the source to shine through.

I had a similar "revelation" with my MiniMax CD Player and the Amphora.  The sound signature was identical, with or without the Amphora, this having to do with the level of transparency of the Amphora, not some lack of driving ability on its part.  Again the major difference here was the soundstage, which was much better thrown and organized with the Amphora.

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 6
Welcome to audiophilia nervosa.  We pay high dollars for subtle improvements.  

Quote:
Hi,

I don't have golden ears like many headfiers in this forum. When I hook my DT770 (250 Ohms) directly to my computer, I can't see any big difference with Edirol (24bit DAC) + GS Solo II setup. The only thing I can see is a bit better sound stage and a bit more warmth. Now I feel that the Solo isn't worth it :frowning2:

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, not all amps are created equal. I find most solid state amps to be more similar than different as long as they're not driven into clipping. I prefer tube amps because there's a lot more variety and character in the sound.

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
soooooo... which means I have to live with disappointment? No resolution?

Live with disappointment? Absolutely not...Why would you do that?  I own the DT770 250ohm and unless it's connected to an amp the differences are big. 

Troubleshoot-

What files are you listening to?  mp3, lossless etc...
Are you outputting correctly to said DAC and it is configured properly for the amp it is connected to?
What player are you using?  Foobar, iTunes etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back