"Invasion" of chinese products on ebay (DAC, amp etc)
Mar 18, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #31 of 59
so is this thread trying to evaluate just the chinese items that pop up on ebay, or all chinese audio components in general?
because, when you expand the question out like that, it's pretty clear. the chinese are kicking ***** and taking names.
Audio-Gd, Yuin, HifiMan, Shanling, MHDT Labs, the list goes on.
All very cutting edge, all very well received here in this very forum...

now, for the ebay stuff like HLLY, etc. i think it's probably hit and miss.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #32 of 59
Little Dot, HiFiMAN, Fiio, and Soundamagic are a few of the more prolific and more respected Chinese brands here at Head-fi. The truth is that even the well-known non-Chinese brands have the majority of their components manufactured in China. The difference is more product for your buck, as the marketing is more direct with the Chinese brands. More innovation with less frills is the way I see it. Of course this is a generalization, as there exceptions on both sides of the equation. It's a global economy, and the consumer is winning
smile.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #33 of 59
I don't know about the budget Chinese headphone amps... but in the speaker world, Chinese integrated tube amps are typically praised for their excellent value/bang-for-buck performance.

Like someone said already, there's always good & bad.. there's really no logic in generalizing.

Some of the "good" includes Cayin, Ming-Da, Jolida, PrimaLuna, Audio Space etc.

If these don't look classy to you, I'm not sure we have the same definition of classy.

cayin%20a88t.jpg

Audio%20Space%20Galaxy.JPG

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so is this thread trying to evaluate just the chinese items that pop up on ebay, or all chinese audio components in general?
because, when you expand the question out like that, it's pretty clear. the chinese are kicking ***** and taking names.
Audio-Gd, Yuin, HifiMan, Shanling, MHDT Labs, the list goes on.
All very cutting edge, all very well received here in this very forum...

now, for the ebay stuff like HLLY, etc. i think it's probably hit and miss.

To evaluate the chinese items that pop up on ebay (especially cheap dac and amps)
smily_headphones1.gif

The good audio components from china are a lot
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #35 of 59
Modern design in China is nascent, emerging. There's amazing antiques from the Republican era and before, and there's people doing good work in art, like Beijing's 798 area and some good design shops, but there's a lot of really poor design or lack of design as well.

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those Chinese products with their sheer verity and interesting designs have infused some blood into this hobby which was very boring with bland black box designs of the west, which is still prevalent.

When it comes to amplifiers and DACs the Chinese are clear winners. Its just a matter of time when they start making headphones as well.

A time I look forward to with anticipation,without them head-fi would not be what it is today.

Go team China.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guidostrunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the Arrow 12he is a Chinese product that gets some nice reviews. Of course ,i have not seen one of them on eBay though.

Headstage / Headphonia is a German company.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #40 of 59
Seen some purdy ampage here.
The input switch on my Little Dot MK VII doesn't work, as a result both inputs/outputs. are always active which also shouldn't be the case. Not going to wait weeks for a replacement as the SQ probably isn't affected. It arrived late too. From audiophilechina.com, but these are also sold on eBay

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #41 of 59
Instead of starting this overly broad thread, why don't you do your research here and decide for yourself. Most of the amps and dac discussed in this thread have been reviewed or discussed on head fi .

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by francisdemarte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of starting this overly broad thread, why don't you do your research here and decide for yourself. Most of the amps and dac discussed in this thread have been reviewed or discussed on head fi .

I think that it's an interesting thread, as it shows our consensus attitude towards gear from China, for better or worse. Of course individual component reviews are quite useful as well for making individual component purchasing decisions; both approaches are handy IMO.

It would be interesting to me if a country-by-country comparison was done as well, comparing China to Germany to Japan to the US for example, as far as manufacturing, design, marketing, and technology, and support after the sale was concerned. Obviously there would be differences by manufacturer as well, but a comparison by country could be like an "Olympics" of Hi-Fi equipment and technology around the world, or perhaps more of a showcase like the World's Fairs used to be.

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guidostrunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the Arrow 12he is a Chinese product that gets some nice reviews. Of course ,i have not seen one of them on eBay though.

The Arrow is designed and made in Germany.

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #45 of 59
There is such a glut of Chinese goods (and I use "goods" with reservation) that gear searches are impeded. Much like romance books overflow into everything else in a used bookstore, this stuff even shows up in vintage electronics. They have no scruples at all, even listing Hong Kong as a location, trying to capitalize on that city's formerly deserved reputation as a good town to do business in. <throws up hands>
frown.gif
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back