Introducing XIaudio (Eleven Audio) Broadway and Broadway S.
Oct 14, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #106 of 139
Finally got Foobar sorted. Had to go into the windows driver and tell it what sample rates the DAC supported. Quick impressions are pretty good but I want to do some side by side. I feel like I am picking up more detail / clarity that I haven't really noticed before though it may be in my head. Im not sure if the Broadway will show up today now after looking at tracking but hey fingers crossed.

I have a pair of Diana TC's that I am using for testing currently. I pretty much sold all my collection and down to only the TC's now. I had the Topping D90SE paired with the mini before. My whole goal is pairing down and getting the ultimate setup as recommended per the headphones or so I tell myself.

Oct 14, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #107 of 139
Finally got Foobar sorted. Had to go into the windows driver and tell it what sample rates the DAC supported. Quick impressions are pretty good but I want to do some side by side. I feel like I am picking up more detail / clarity that I haven't really noticed before though it may be in my head. Im not sure if the Broadway will show up today now after looking at tracking but hey fingers crossed.

I have a pair of Diana TC's that I am using for testing currently. I pretty much sold all my collection and down to only the TC's now. I had the Topping D90SE paired with the mini before. My whole goal is pairing down and getting the ultimate setup as recommended per the headphones or so I tell myself.
So youre connected directly to your PC via USB right? Ive never tried a Topping DAC but if its reminiscent of my Matrix then Im sure its a nice combo. Ive been using a WiiM Mini in place of a streamer for now.
My other DAC is the Matrix Element M which is a great DAC/streamer solution.

I was eying the iFi Zen Stream but the alleged issues with it since release (and I believe it considering their track record with software) has me using the much cheaper WiiM Mini.

How do you like the Diana TC and what headphones did you own? Im currently comparing my Diana Phi to my new Final D8K Pro which Im really happy with. I cant seem to find the will to sell off my Diana still but Ill admit that the Final is a more recommendable pair of cans.

Ive been using my Broadway for almost 2 years now and Ive never even considered selling it.

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #108 of 139
Correct, Using win 10 PC as source however I am planning to upgrade to Win11 tomorrow since it is able to run with out a specific driver. When I head to work I just need to pop by Microcenter to grab another SSD.
I absolutely love my Diana TC's and basicly sold everything else. Ive got a pair of 6xx for slumming it at work. Ive had a not a ton of headphones I kinda jumped head first into the high ends but ive had M50s, 6xx, LCD-X 2020 versions, LCD-2C, LCD-5 and the Diana TC. I really want to get a set of HD800 or HD800s but im not sure when that's going to happen.

Back to the K Dac, Im a bit shocked and amazed how much of a difference its made. Right now its K Dac into the GS-X Mini to the TC's. I had bought the LCD-5 and Diana TC both at the same time and had planned to keep the one I wanted though I felt they were both amazing and could have gone either way depending on the genre of music I was listing to. End of the day I noticed I always reached for the TC's over the 5s but I always missed the way drums sounded on them. I feel like with the K Dac and GS-X Mini I am hearing a lot more of what I missed from the LCD-5 in the TC. Again I dont have a ton of time on the K Dac but I plan to get more.

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #109 of 139
Anyone able to give me a part number for the power adapter for the Broadway? Mine arrived today and came with a third-party adapter that is 2 feet long and a wall wart. I'm sure it will work but I prefer one that's longer and original from the manufacturer. Figured Id see if some one had the part number before I order a 24v 1A adapter.

Oct 17, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #110 of 139
Mines came with a generic supply too.
I don’t think there’s an official XI Audio one available but honestly since it’s battery filtered it shouldn’t make a difference.

I actually like to unplug it from the supply when I listen so I’m running just on batteries.

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #111 of 139
So Ive been using my K DAC almost exclusively rather than my Matrix Element M for almost 2 months.
DACs are hard to review/give impressions on; especially in my case where Ive had limited exposure to a lot of DACs.
Im mostly coming from being used to the sound of the Sabre found in the Matrix since it was my daily for over 2 years straight.

Right off the bat, the only disappointing thing about the DAC is the build. While not terrible, my Matrix feels much more robust and Hi-Fi quality. The K DAC is too light and moves around easily plugging cables. The chassis on the Broadway feels nicer so I presumed the matching DAC would be of the same build and heft.

Besides the the Matrix, the iFi Diablo (Burr Brown) has been my 2nd DAC I've used the longest. Now, normally when Im unimpressed I question why I would use one device over a better component for example; I only use the Diablo when I don't want to sit at my desk like on weekend mornings when Id rather listen to music in bed. The Matrix is a more resolving and overall "better" DAC to my ears and through my set up with my Broadway vs the integrated DAC/amp of the Diablo; so I normally gravitate toward the desktop set up when I really want to hear my headphones (Arya SE, Diana Phi and my new Final D8k Pro) to a higher potential.

So that's where the XI K DAC has me. I could sell my Matrix and not really miss it besides the nostalgia of it being my first higher end intro to DACs. It sounds as detailed as the ASR approved Matrix but with a warmer or fuller sound. Its really hard to describe since DACs in theory shouldn't have a sound yet anyone who's tried various ones could probably tell you they hear a difference between the degrees of detail or holographic presentation they can provide to your music.

Theres something very "organic" sounding about the K DAC. Now, its not a true NOS since Soekris doesn't apparently venture there unlike some of the more sought after R2Rs like Holo so the various filters can contribute to different sounds. I normally stick to the linear filter which to my ears has a brighter, cleaner sound and closer to what my brain is accustomed to with the Matrix. The opposite filter closest to NOS is the soft filter. The soft filter has notable decrease in upper treble and upper mids and lows vs the linear filter but still provides enough detail to where something like the ESS chip Matrix isn't going to be missed IME.

Now, its also difficult to judge exactly how much of the sound of the K DAC could be further improved since Im frankly using the very affordable but convenient WiiM Mini Streamer with an iFi power supply and previously was connected directly to my MacBook via USB. Cant say the Streamer helped immensely but its nice not being tethered down. The streamer in the Matrix is optimized and is perhaps providing a cleaner, more direct signal rather than the freebie toslink I have connected between the WiiM and the K DAC.
But the K DAC still holds it own even with perhaps a more limited signal via the WiiM so it only has me curious about what a better streamer would provide for it.

I feel like I've typed a lot without really saying much so my TLDR; the K DAC is a detailed, smooth and "musical" R2R offering by XI Audio. Im sure we've all read that in countless reviews but my real point is that it sounds better to me versus the perfect measurements of the Matrix which is still a great DAC. Besides the build quality (mostly just how light weight it is) I cant really find a reason to prefer my Matrix DAC over it despite what the measurement crowd would say. Im sure the fact that its the matching DAC to the Broadway (which I really like) helps in finding that "synergy" rather than mixing and matching via trial and error. My Arya Stealth, Diana Phi and Final D8KP sound pretty amazing and I couldn't be more content with what I hear coming from this set up when I already know that theres even better systems out there.

I think the price could be lower or if the chassis were more robust then I can see this DAC as a great option for those who want to try a good R2R without going over the $2k mark. Perhaps like the Broadway though it will be over looked by non Abyss Diana owners when IME its a great choice for many planars which so far for me have been quite a few like Arya SE, DCA Aeon 2 Noire, Audeze LCD-2CB and XC, Sundara, Final D8KP and I think I even tried the Campfire Cascades (not a planar).

I would recommend checking it out. I think the Matrix will go for sale soon and this will be my daily for at least a couple of years.
NOS Dacs are very famous for this so for those who say all DACs should sound the same show them one of those. Their technology is nothing new (some would even say crude) but there is nothing more natural than a good NOS DAC. I’ve had several DACs from Sonnet and Metrum and that richness is ever present and just as detailed. For me and my tastes (I already like warm headphones and speakers) it doesn’t make much sense but for those who really need to add an extra layer of thickness to their sound there’s no comparison.

Mines came with a generic supply too.
I don’t think there’s an official XI Audio one available but honestly since it’s battery filtered it shouldn’t make a difference.

I actually like to unplug it from the supply when I listen so I’m running just on batteries.

I’ve noticed a slight change for the better when running straight on batteries myself. Even though the circuitry is supposed to just use the batteries even if the charger is just sitting there it adds a certain roughness to the sound that you don’t get when running straight off the batteries directly. It’s a more refined and a touch smoother sounding imo.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #112 of 139
so quick update I ended up contacting Abyss and they pointed me into the direction of the correct power adapter. I went ahead and purchased the correct power adapter and we are good to go again. While I was at it, I went ahead and threw in new Panasonic 18650 batteries to cover both my power basis. Mine had LG batteries before which i'm sure were fine. Interesting enough with the old power adapter if I killed the batteries and then tried to plug it in I had to wait for a while to use it again. If I tryed to use it immediately it ran for 10 or so seconds and would turn off. With the new adapter and dead batteries I can plug it in and go straight back to using it while its charging.
The old adapter just says 24v / 1A. the new new Mean Well adapter shows 24v / 1.67a.

Nov 21, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #114 of 139
From speaking to Abyss they said it will run them but it still doesent have enough power to get the full potential. Abyss recommends the Formula as the pairing with the 1266. I know I ran the 1266 on my GS X Mini and it sounded stellar. I cant imagine what it would sound like on the Formula.

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #116 of 139
I read some where that the Broadway was designed with Diana Phi, HE1000 and HD800 in mind.
I currently use it for my Final D8KP and Arya SE and sounds great too.

I’ve used it with my Diana V2 (sold) I still have my Diana Phi but those cans seem like they can use even more current.
They sound bass limp or that’s just their sound.

Overall the Broadway seems to be an underrated, compact amplifier that’s probably overlooked due to the marketing focusing on Diana.

I can only imagine how good the Forumula S must sound.

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #118 of 139
Anyone have an issue with their power switch on the back of their Broadway sticking preventing the amp from being turned off? I usually have to flip it down multiple times before it turns the amp off.

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #120 of 139
nope. mine is just 1 click and it turns off completely.
I kind of want to replace it with a push button style because it’s getting annoying. I end up using power cycles on my batteries because the amp can’t shut off and I just let it drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back