INTRODUCING......TWag v2!!!
Feb 17, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #91 of 111
I just wanted to drop in and add my $0.02... I've had a TWag V2 cable for my JH13's and also an XLR=>RSA balanced cable to pipe my DLIII into my SR-71B for a few weeks now, and I've been nothing but extremely pleased with the sound quality over the stock JH13 cable. I have NEVER otherwise noticed a difference with cables, but the TWag vs stock JH13 is the lone exception. The sound seems more detailed, vivid, and intimate to me.

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #92 of 111
Thread, by "intimate" do you mean less open?  I'm getting the same impression, very clear, present, but (and I've only just gotten them), they haven't yet opened up yet (with my JH-13s), and I don't expect them to for a while..  

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #93 of 111

Quote:
Thread, by "intimate" do you mean less open?  I'm getting the same impression, very clear, present, but (and I've only just gotten them), they haven't yet opened up yet (with my JH-13s), and I don't expect them to for a while..  

To me, the V2 is definitely the most open and spacious sounding cable out of the 4 cables I've tried (stock, ALO, Twag V1, V2).

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #94 of 111
No, not less open, just more involving... Like I'm closer to the source of the sound. It's a difficult thing to describe, but it's certainly an improvement all around. (Again, I'm comparing to the stock JH13 cable.)

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #95 of 111
were they that way right out of the box?  i'm very optimistic about the v2.   i'm letting them burn in on the laptop playing some hi def radio station continuously.  as
mike from whiplash told me, they just need "noise" to help them during the break-in period...

EDIT (red face and complete embarassment): I just saw on another thread that if the blue and red dots are not aligned right the sound will be muddy (out of phase).  Duh, I had my left (or was it right?) dot facing the wrong way... - Craig/Mike, maybe you should put in a little note with the TWAGs reminding dummies like me how to insert the TWAG into the JH13s  (and maybe, for folks who are dangerous to be around, like me, instructions on how to screw in a light bulb).  Muddiness is gone, and at 20 hours or so, well before the v2s are supposed to shine, they sound great! 

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #96 of 111

Quote:
were they that way right out of the box?  i'm very optimistic about the v2.   i'm letting them burn in on the laptop playing some hi def radio station continuously.  as
mike from whiplash told me, they just need "noise" to help them during the break-in period...

EDIT (red face and complete embarassment): I just saw on another thread that if the blue and red dots are not aligned right the sound will be muddy (out of phase).  Duh, I had my left (or was it right?) dot facing the wrong way... - Craig/Mike, maybe you should put in a little note with the TWAGs reminding dummies like me how to insert the TWAG into the JH13s  (and maybe, for folks who are dangerous to be around, like me, instructions on how to screw in a light bulb).  Muddiness is gone, and at 20 hours or so, well before the v2s are supposed to shine, they sound great! 

That's not burn-in.  As far as the correct way to plug in the JH-1 connector into your IEMs, here is a picture Craig posted a while back on his FB Wall:

If you're burning in thru your computer, the easiest way to do this is thru:  http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php  While playing music helps, it's not nearly as effective as a burn-in program/device.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #97 of 111
Not sure if you mean playing continuously is not burn-in.  

Here is what Mike from TWAG customer service advised me:  "The best way to break the cable in is to just play music 24/7."  As in nonstop. Also, "it doesn't matter what quality music is going through them, as long as there is noise."

No matter, the high definition internet station timed out a few days ago, in any event, so I have been running the V2 through my entire itunes library continuously (I have about 3 days worth of stuff saved).  

Now, I read from the link you sent that it should just play 4-5 hours a day.   Well, at least I don't have the music up too loud.    Hopefully, now that I've "wasted" three days playing continuously off the computer, I've accomplished something.  And if not, then, well, if I listen long enough, the 300 hours will have come and gone.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #98 of 111

Quote:
Not sure if you mean playing continuously is not burn-in.  

Here is what Mike from TWAG customer service advised me:  "The best way to break the cable in is to just play music 24/7."  As in nonstop. Also, "it doesn't matter what quality music is going through them, as long as there is noise."

No matter, the high definition internet station timed out a few days ago, in any event, so I have been running the V2 through my entire itunes library continuously (I have about 3 days worth of stuff saved).  

Now, I read from the link you sent that it should just play 4-5 hours a day.   Well, at least I don't have the music up too loud.    Hopefully, now that I've "wasted" three days playing continuously off the computer, I've accomplished something.  And if not, then, well, if I listen long enough, the 300 hours will have come and gone.

You should, of course, listen to your vendor, they know their stuff best.  You can't go either way and there is nothing wrong with continuous music to burn in a cable.  Headphones are a different matter.  At any rate, different frequency "noises" such as pink and white are more effective in producing those dialectric changes in your cable at the molecular level than random music, but in the end, if it's done long enough, you will achieve your goal.

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #100 of 111
I just finished burning in my new TWag V2 for use with my EM3 Pro and WOW!!!

When I first got it the sound was worse than the stock cable.  The EM3 Pro is a warm, thick, rich sounding custom and the cable made them dark on top of that.  I hooked the Elite -> EM3 Pro up to my Clip+ for burn in, and even after about 80 hours it didn't sound great.  I didn't like the Clip+ with the EM3 Pro anyways, so I figured I would just burn it in with the Clip+ and then switch to one of my other rigs.  Well, after maybe 200 of the 300+ hours of burn in I was amazed at how good my Clip+ sounded with the EM3 Pro.  Seriously, I am pretty shocked and for my next trip I am not going to bring my iPod and amp, but just my clip and RoCoo as sources.  I need more time with what comes down to my new sounding custom, but I am very impressed to say the least....

I was thinking of getting another custom (it's a sickness, really) without a detachable cable, so maybe I should get another cable for the custom manufacturer to use...

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #102 of 111
It is good to my ears!  I have a few friends that have the v1 and they swear by it, and I have read a lot. But it didn't prepare me for the experience I have had with the EM3 Pro when used with the TWag.  It might just be synergy with the EM3 Pro, but I will be getting another custom with a detachable cable so I can try the cable with that custom also.  My bar has been set higher!

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #103 of 111
does it make sense to buy a cable like this if you dont have an equally good lod cable?  i dont know how that works since the lod has an amp in between it and the IEM's

depending the answer to the above question.. which makes more sense if you can only afford one..  higher quality LOD or higher quality headphone cable?

thanks... new to the cable scene....

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #104 of 111

Quote:
does it make sense to buy a cable like this if you dont have an equally good lod cable?  i dont know how that works since the lod has an amp in between it and the IEM's

depending the answer to the above question.. which makes more sense if you can only afford one..  higher quality LOD or higher quality headphone cable?

thanks... new to the cable scene....

The headphone cable should make the bigger difference since it is closer to you. I think in general any difference cables make will be more noticeable in a headphone cable vs the interconnect which is behind the amp.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #105 of 111
what's really amazing, in the end, is that even with the LOD, I'm still running this off of the ipod's DAC.  While the dream would be to use a separate DAC, I'm not ready to walk around with such a bulky set-up as that which ALO will soon be offering (ipod plus headphone amp PLUS dac - way too much).   I can only imagine how good the jh13 plus twag om v.2 plus a great DAC would sound.   Now I'm curious to hear how this all will sound once i get to 300 hours or so on the V.2....

not to sound like a broken record, but the thing that i'm really pleased with with the v.2 (besides its looks) is that it is actually comfortable.  i was worried that it wouldn't be, but the lack of a memory wire is absolutely no problem.  very comfortable to wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back