Introducing the VMV D2R High-Resolution Desktop DAC - Now Available on Apos Audio
Sep 7, 2023 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18
Hi all,

We are thrilled to share with everyone the arrival of the VMV D2R High-Resolution Desktop DAC. It features a 24-bit/192kHz DAC and aptX™ technology, so you not only get impeccable sound quality but also low latency. This device comes with multiple input choices including USB, coaxial, and optical ports, adapting seamlessly to your existing set-up. Whether you’re an audiophile with a passion for high-fidelity sound or someone who cherishes a momentary escape into a musical realm, D2R makes it deeply personal and endlessly flexible.

Here's the link to the blog for more info: https://apos.audio/blogs/news/npa-vmv-d2r-dac-vmv-p2-headphone-amp

VMV D2R High-Resolution Desktop DAC.jpg

Apos Audio Free Shipping, Lowest Price Guarantee, Apos 2nd Year Warranty and 45-Day Return Policy on all carried products. Check out Apos Ensembles, Apos Specials, and Apos Certified products. Stay updated on Apos Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/aposaudio https://www.instagram.com/aposaudio/ https://apos.audio/ contact@apos.audio
Nov 23, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 18
A good review:

this one does sound impressive. comparison between this and the other delta sigma dac is quite interesting. It is hard to hear this much difference through youtube sound demo comparison. Sound signature is very smooth and realistic in the production of voice. Wonder how this compares to R2R dacs, which are usually characterized as smooth and timbre-wise realisetic

Nov 24, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 18
I have had the original D2 with the AKM 4499 chipset. Sound was good, with lot of sweetness and body. I just wonder if this new D2R adds something to the performance, or is it just a new design/casing, with a new chip ?

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 18
I have the VMV D2R and VMV P2 stack and can compare to my Burson Conductor Reference SE which is modified with fully bypassed Sparkos 2590 Pro op amps. Using 16 cores silver balanced headphone cable into HiFiMan HE1000 SE headphones. These Sparkos op amps totally transform the Burson and are way better than the V6 Vivids that come with it. And even better than the Sparkos 3602 op amps that I also tried in it. So whatever baseline review that you would read about the Conductor reference, even with the smaller Sparkos 3602 op amps, mine is now a big step up from that.

The VMV D2R is revealing/ demanding of USB cables. I have the Supra Excalibur and the Viborg, they are Type A to Type B so I can't try them into the Burson, which is Type C. I had compared them into my Aune X8 which again uses the Sparkos Pro op amp in the belly gunner position, and sent this to the RCA input of the Burson Reference as the amp. In that setup both USB cables were very close. So I had actually been using the Viborg initially with the VMV D2R DAC. And was using some 1 meter ebay XLR interconnects from that to the VMV P2 amp.

I had also compared the internal amp in the Conductor Reference to the RCA input of the P2 with the Burson set to DAC mode output, and found the VMV amp to be wider and more balanced in frequency response compared to the slightly leaner sounding Burson. So I do like the VMV P2 despite its quirks of limited controls. And it it seems to be ridiculously powerful if you have Susvaras or other demanding headphones.

With the Viborg USB and the ebay interconnect, the D2R had a very pleasant, easy, fully fleshed out sound. Whereas the Modified Burson Reference was slightly more transparent and revealing of reverberant tails. Slightly deeper, but narrower with smaller, more focused individual instruments. I was going to conclude that I liked the Burson/ Sparkos sound better but decided to try the Supra Excaliber USB with the D2R to hear what would happen. And this was a big change. The Supra is more open and see through. And this along with making up a new set of DIY 1 foot XLR cables out of 3 strands I cut apart from Nordost Heimdall bulk wire, The D2R gained back most of the transparency and detail that it needed and kept all of the robust, fleshed out, comfortable, and wide, sound signature.

The D2R isn't cheap and you are paying more for a unique, heavy case, but people that are looking for a less aggressive, more organic sound than a Sabre DAC chip, this VMV DAC is worth a try.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 18
Tried this earlier today on a Holo Bliss and was really impressed. Really good for the price imo. Choosing between this and my Qutest would be a toss up tbh. The D2R sounds more natural/analog, I think possibly more clean and blacker background, whereas the Qutest has more bass heft and excitement. Well worth a listen!

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 18
It is also a matter of connections: The Qutest is (very !) limited, not even having a spdif (not speaking AES) digital entry, no XLR output, no clock, nothing...Just USB and BNC and optical

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 18
My system is getting fairly well dialed in now. In addition to the Burson Conductor Pro SE with bypassed top of the line Sparkos Pro op amps fed hirez files via USB from ASIO Foobar or ASIO Qobuz and exits the amps through a balanced 16 cores pure silver headphone cable into HiFiMan HE1000SE or Ananda Nano, I also now have the VMV D2R DAC and P2 amp stack connected to each other by a 0.3 meter custom XLR of silver plated, air/ Teflon insulated Nordost wire and to the laptop via a Supra Excalibur USB. The sound of the Burson has a slight unknown in that it requires USB Type C and Supra does not make the Excalibur in a Type C. So, I am using an ebay USB cable that does sound much better than the Hosa, StarTech, or generic USBs that I have. But this makes me wonder what might be improved upon if that could also get the Excalibur treatment. This Supra USB cable really is a big step up from the Pro-Audio type Hosa and is better than the also excellent new top of the line $100 Viborg. I have some Viborg brand USB Type C replaceable connectors so I will eventually take the end off of the Supra and or the Viborg cables to see if I can retrofit my own Type C.

The Burson uses 4 socketed op amps for the left and right true balanced I/V stage and Low Pass-output stage of the DAC/ Line Out and is originally equipped with the V6 Vivid discrete op amps. I tried the following op amps and found this order of preference: OPA1656 is the current state of the art I/C audio op amp that is found in many high end DACs but is bettered by any of the discretes. The Vivid V6 is bettered by the Sparkos 3602. And, the Sparkos 2590 Pro is in an entirely different league, especially after bypassing the power rails right at the pins on their board and adding a ground which DIP 8 dual op amp connections lack. These amps are much larger than the others and must be wired in with flying leads. But the performance takes the already highly acclaimed Burson Conductor reference to a higher level of detail, see through transparency, and bass slam.

I have to preface all of this since the Sparkos modified Burson Reference is already getting toward the highest level of sonic performance from the DAC and the amp (but I do have to wonder about if the Conductor 3X reference balanced version might sound even better). Once you get to these near stratospheric levels of performance, preference starts to come down to flavors.

The VMV D2R with its Rohm DAC chip presents a fuller, more fleshed out, more organic sound. Slightly wider. Maybe not quite as distant/ deep. The instruments are bigger in the stage and more well rounded with less space between them. The Conductor 3R SE projects the instruments as each individually smaller and with more space between them and deeper out in front of you. At first, this sounds slightly faster and more transparent but then, is somewhat less "real" in the body. On closer listen you find that the detail and snap of the VMV is still there and it can resolve the last traces of reverb and hall sound all the way out to the immense edge of the HE1000SEs just as well even while the bloom of the fundamentals comfortably commands your attention. The D2R really seems to respond to the difference between CD quality and 24/192 to sound its cleanest.

The amp section of the Burson (the SE is single ended from front to back) is also very close to the VMV P2 when using its line in. Both are no doubt immensely powerful although neither one of my HiFiMans are particularly hard to drive. I haven't spent as much time with the Burson line in so this comparison will have to follow but at this point I am mostly using the P2 even if I choose to listen to the Burson DAC.

Which brings me to the flavors comment. Both DACs have differences. I would say that 50% of the albums I have listened to, which range mostly from classic rock to modern progressive rock, but also include audiophile demo tracks from the Chesky Sampler etc (thanks Qobuz for giving me just about every song in the history of the world in often remastered and hirez, just a click away) will sound all in all slightly more appealing from the more fleshed out and easier on the VMV. The VMV can attempt to tame and make better sense of the ridiculously loud and splashy cymbals on the 24/192 reissue of Heart Mistral Wind for example while filling out the guitar and captivating vocal in the middle while still portraying the wide volume pedal sounds flying at you from every angle. on the other hand I am still compelled to plug into the Burson on lesser studio recordings with a muddier mix to clear things out and cut through with more empty space. I still listen to brilliant compositions and performances even with muddier studio techniques like the first Boston album or the muddy recording but brilliant progressive drums and metal style vocals on the newest Queensryche album I happened to click on while bored one night.

If the Topping DX9 with its rare version quad AKM 4499 DAC chip had a line in, I would be very curious to try that one next. Eventually I should pick something to stick with and let the rest go (I also have a Burson Conductor 3XP, Aune X8, and ifi ZenDac V2. I sent the Aune S9 Pro with its early version wonky volume control back).

Burson Reference with Sparkos ground close.jpg

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 18
I guess I should correct this by saying that compared to a stock Burson Conductor Reference SE which most people that do not mod their equipment will be listening to, the VMV D2R/ P2 stack will sound slightly better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back