Introducing the STAX SRM-T8000 - Head-Fi TV
Jul 3, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #121 of 247
Following my write up, I did some research on other electrostatic amps. Most of the amps recommended on the web sits around the same price point of the Stax T8K. Perhaps this was the rationale for Stax to pick this price point. Due to the size, the performance and the limited options on the market, I am seriously reconsidering this amp, hmmmmm. A friend of mine uses his Stax unit with a transformer, perhaps I will do the same. Now I sit pondering what to do....
Did you even care about the performances ? If you need a good amp with factory warranty and works then the T8k for sure

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #122 of 247
Did you even care about the performances ? If you need a good amp with factory warranty and works then the T8k for sure

Agree. I sent an email to the US distributor to request a price. Thought I would just wait to purchase when I return the US. My guess, the US price would be marked up considerably like all Japanese audio gear. I have not received a return email yet, we will see.

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #123 of 247
They were already in production back in late April when we made a visit to the Stax office :-

[Getting burnt in/tested]
P4280012.jpg
P4280013.jpg

P4280015.jpg
P4280016.jpg

[Packaged]
P4280017.jpg

No black SRM-T8000s back then.

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #125 of 247
Following my write up, I did some research on other electrostatic amps. Most of the amps recommended on the web sits around the same price point of the Stax T8K. Perhaps this was the rationale for Stax to pick this price point. Due to the size, the performance and the limited options on the market, I am seriously reconsidering this amp, hmmmmm. A friend of mine uses his Stax unit with a transformer, perhaps I will do the same. Now I sit pondering what to do....

Agree. I sent an email to the US distributor to request a price. Thought I would just wait to purchase when I return the US. My guess, the US price would be marked up considerably like all Japanese audio gear. I have not received a return email yet, we will see.

So, here's the thing. The T8000 already costs around $5000 US in Japan. If getting one in the US costs more, you're up in the BHSE range, and that IMHO is a much better amp. My guess is that the T8000 circuit-wise resembles an SRM727 but with overall feedback (the major issue with the 727) and a tube input stage. We should know more in a couple weeks as Kevin Gilmore is getting a T8000 to do a full circuit analysis. If you are into DIY, there are a number of Gilmore designs that are more powerful and better, and if a Gilmore amp doesn't suit your tastes, there's the SRX Plus. Or, if you are willing to solder and drill and tap a few hole but don't want to build something from scratch there's a relatively simple DIY mod of the venerable SRM-T1 which should come close to the T8000 (tube tonality, nearly as much output power) for less than a fifth the price, including a used T1 amp. BTW, the T1 series all had convertible AC voltage built in so if you pick one up in Japan it can be converted to US or European voltage.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #126 of 247
So, here's the thing. The T8000 already costs around $5000 US in Japan. If getting one in the US costs more, you're up in the BHSE range, and that IMHO is a much better amp. My guess is that the T8000 circuit-wise resembles an SRM727 but with overall feedback (the major issue with the 727) and a tube input stage. We should know more in a couple weeks as Kevin Gilmore is getting a T8000 to do a full circuit analysis. If you are into DIY, there are a number of Gilmore designs that are more powerful and better, and if a Gilmore amp doesn't suit your tastes, there's the SRX Plus. Or, if you are willing to solder and drill and tap a few hole but don't want to build something from scratch there's a relatively simple DIY mod of the venerable SRM-T1 which should come close to the T8000 (tube tonality, nearly as much output power) for less than a fifth the price, including a used T1 amp. BTW, the T1 series all had convertible AC voltage built in so if you pick one up in Japan it can be converted to US or European voltage.

I vote for this :)

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #127 of 247
I vote for this :)

I heard the T8000 in Munich and it was a very special listening experience.

At the same show I listened to the Blue Hawai and thought it was a tad too bright for the 009.

Technology is not all that matters. You have to hear how it sounds. And I think Stax this time has done a terrific job. Tone, effortless reproduction of music, smoothness is spot on with 009.

Do you have the same guarantee of achieving this performance with DIY amps? I don't think so.

Do you know if a black version of the T8000 will be available? Any pictures yet?

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #128 of 247
well, some interesting choices to ponder over for sure. In the end, I agree with Simomat. The sound with the T8k in combo with the 009 was special despite how it works.

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #129 of 247

At the same show I listened to the Blue Hawai and thought it was a tad too bright for the 009.

Technology is not all that matters. You have to hear how it sounds. And I think Stax this time has done a terrific job. Tone, effortless reproduction of music, smoothness is spot on with 009.

Do you have the same guarantee of achieving this performance with DIY amps? I don't think so.

Do you know if a black version of the T8000 will be available? Any pictures yet?

That is good that you got to have heard it

It is not about technology alone, it is about technical and how it was engineered, designed. Amplification is an ancient technology by itself, but the design and the components are both improving drastically. Not sure how your BHSE was auditioned, I didn't try it yet, but there were possibility to role tubes, and Interconnect cables to improve upon. My Carbon and GG are not bright with 009, it is just right, and I use all silver wires everywhere possible. T8k maybe Stax current production best of amplifier yet, but there is always improvements to be made upon.

Even before T8000 came, Kevin Gilmore designs were the very top, and especially the revamped T2, which is held in very top of the top regard from Stax enthusiasts. Now, even if T8000 is an improved from Stax T2, which I doubt, just from financial stand point, don't you think Kevin Gilmore can make it better ? But let's just say this, form and functions, KG amps are not just big and bulky for nothing, it is big because everything that was put into it despite how compact people would like to make it out to be. Yet, there is also Super Symetry to be made from the newest designs with the uses of true dual power supply separately if needed and wanted or have the meant to do so. Once everything is done right, ofcourse tone, effortless reproduction of music, smoothness are all there.

Yes, I do guarantee of this, KG DIY amps are well known from people who have made it, who knows their stuff (engineer standpoint and technical stand point). It is fact

I have no doubt that STax can design the best of the best for their amplifier, but to mass produce it would be another matter entirely, and they tried, it was called Stax T2, but due to how much Stax cut down upon it due to financial matters, it had overheat issues, and almost cost Stax the company. They given Kevin Gilmore the rights to clone and improve upon, and we have KG T2, which is currently still the best amp for Stax. So, yes, Stax can design the best of the best for their own headphones, why not ? Will T8k be it ? Doubt it. But I will stop speculating for now, and be waiting on confirmations about T8k designs

Probably they will release it

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #130 of 247
That is good that you got to have heard it

It is not about technology alone, it is about technical and how it was engineered, designed. Amplification is an ancient technology by itself, but the design and the components are both improving drastically. Not sure how your BHSE was auditioned, I didn't try it yet, but there were possibility to role tubes, and Interconnect cables to improve upon. My Carbon and GG are not bright with 009, it is just right, and I use all silver wires everywhere possible. T8k maybe Stax current production best of amplifier yet, but there is always improvements to be made upon.

Even before T8000 came, Kevin Gilmore designs were the very top, and especially the revamped T2, which is held in very top of the top regard from Stax enthusiasts. Now, even if T8000 is an improved from Stax T2, which I doubt, just from financial stand point, don't you think Kevin Gilmore can make it better ? But let's just say this, form and functions, KG amps are not just big and bulky for nothing, it is big because everything that was put into it despite how compact people would like to make it out to be. Yet, there is also Super Symetry to be made from the newest designs with the uses of true dual power supply separately if needed and wanted or have the meant to do so. Once everything is done right, ofcourse tone, effortless reproduction of music, smoothness are all there.

Yes, I do guarantee of this, KG DIY amps are well known from people who have made it, who knows their stuff (engineer standpoint and technical stand point). It is fact

I have no doubt that STax can design the best of the best for their amplifier, but to mass produce it would be another matter entirely, and they tried, it was called Stax T2, but due to how much Stax cut down upon it due to financial matters, it had overheat issues, and almost cost Stax the company. They given Kevin Gilmore the rights to clone and improve upon, and we have KG T2, which is currently still the best amp for Stax. So, yes, Stax can design the best of the best for their own headphones, why not ? Will T8k be it ? Doubt it. But I will stop speculating for now, and be waiting on confirmations about T8k designs

Probably they will release it
I can only wish I had your gear, ear and experience to fully understand and appreciate what you are saying - especially the thing with not sounding bright, "just right". I will be able to hear the T8000 in Europe, but doubt I could even get close to a Carbon or BHSE without buying one. I also believe you have to listen a lot to some particular gear to become adjusted to the It's sound and that is not even possible with the T8000. And I am not even convinced that I would appreciate the sound you hear in the Carbon or BHSE. I am sure I would think I sounds fantastic, but I already think my present gear sounds fantastic, which would mean two different fantastic. I am afraid about that "sounding bright" part. I like the transparency the bright bring to the table, but too bright destroys the musical experience for me. That is why I chose 007 rather than 009. One thing that makes me question that I would appreciate the sound you are calling "just right" is the need for silver cables. My experience with silver cables is not good, either I don't hear any difference, or they are making the sound brighter - if there is increased transparency, it's costing too much in the form of brightness (and money).

I am afraid that if I got an BHSE to my 007 mk2 I would get some more transparency, but also more brightness. And if I upgrade the headphones to 009 I would get even more brightness with some increase in transparency. But would I like it? I am not convinced I would :)

I wish I could build an audiophile simulator that could learn from my taste in sound and let me compare that with a serious audiophile's "just right" sound. One can only wish :)

But I am intrigued, and have been thinking about getting a Carbon or BHSE, or T8000. Only time will tell :)

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #131 of 247
Well, I like all the details I could possibly get from my gears, and my experiences with silver wires were that it would bring more details to the high frequencies and if the gears (DAC, amp, headphones) are not capable of handling them, it will be bright and harsh. Not with Stax 009 and KG amps, but more likely Dynamic systems. It is also in the same line with Dynamic drivers technical stand points in comparison to ElectroStatic. Utopia is the only Headphones that I found to be very close to 009 performances in treble performances when it is properly paired

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #132 of 247

I can only wish I had your gear, ear and experience to fully understand and appreciate what you are saying - especially the thing with not sounding bright, "just right". I will be able to hear the T8000 in Europe, but doubt I could even get close to a Carbon or BHSE without buying one. I also believe you have to listen a lot to some particular gear to become adjusted to the It's sound and that is not even possible with the T8000. And I am not even convinced that I would appreciate the sound you hear in the Carbon or BHSE. I am sure I would think I sounds fantastic, but I already think my present gear sounds fantastic, which would mean two different fantastic. I am afraid about that "sounding bright" part. I like the transparency the bright bring to the table, but too bright destroys the musical experience for me. That is why I chose 007 rather than 009. One thing that makes me question that I would appreciate the sound you are calling "just right" is the need for silver cables. My experience with silver cables is not good, either I don't hear any difference, or they are making the sound brighter - if there is increased transparency, it's costing too much in the form of brightness (and money).

I am afraid that if I got an BHSE to my 007 mk2 I would get some more transparency, but also more brightness. And if I upgrade the headphones to 009 I would get even more brightness with some increase in transparency. But would I like it? I am not convinced I would :)

I wish I could build an audiophile simulator that could learn from my taste in sound and let me compare that with a serious audiophile's "just right" sound. One can only wish :)

But I am intrigued, and have been thinking about getting a Carbon or BHSE, or T8000. Only time will tell :)

Well, technically, the BHSE and Carbon are much more powerful than the T8000, which has about the same output power as a 727, so the former two should be just loafing at normal listening levels, which may give them a sense of solidity and ease compared to the T8000. Also the additional current capacity may give them additional bass punch in comparison.

Still, there is still a fair amount of subjectivity involved, particularly as regards tonal balance. For example, some consider the 009 on the bright side and the 007 Mk II neutral, while others feel the 009 is neutral, and the 007 Mk II on the dark side. Many consider the BHSE neutral, but some consider it on the cool and analytical side, which can be alleviated with "warm-sounding" NOS Mullards. The KGST is considered warmer than the BHSE. The T1 is generally considered on the dark side with the 007, although modifying it with current source loads alleviates this to a great extent. My guess is that the modified version is going to be close, tonally, to the T8000, but that's just a guess as I have never heard the T8000. The big advantage of the modified T1 of course, is that it costs less than a fifth of the T8000, the disadvantage is that it is DIY only. I consider my SRX Plus with 007 Mk II pretty neutral, but according to others the SRX Plus is on the warm side, and the BHSE with 007 Mk II is considered a very synergistic, neutral combo. Ultimately, it's an individual matter.

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #133 of 247
Well, technically, the BHSE and Carbon are much more powerful than the T8000, which has about the same output power as a 727, so the former two should be just loafing at normal listening levels, which may give them a sense of solidity and ease compared to the T8000. Also the additional current capacity may give them additional bass punch in comparison.

Still, there is still a fair amount of subjectivity involved, particularly as regards tonal balance. For example, some consider the 009 on the bright side and the 007 Mk II neutral, while others feel the 009 is neutral, and the 007 Mk II on the dark side. Many consider the BHSE neutral, but some consider it on the cool and analytical side, which can be alleviated with "warm-sounding" NOS Mullards. The KGST is considered warmer than the BHSE. The T1 is generally considered on the dark side with the 007, although modifying it with current source loads alleviates this to a great extent. My guess is that the modified version is going to be close, tonally, to the T8000, but that's just a guess as I have never heard the T8000. The big advantage of the modified T1 of course, is that it costs less than a fifth of the T8000, the disadvantage is that it is DIY only. I consider my SRX Plus with 007 Mk II pretty neutral, but according to others the SRX Plus is on the warm side, and the BHSE with 007 Mk II is considered a very synergistic, neutral combo. Ultimately, it's an individual matter.
Lucky you, all of you, who can swing a soldering iron and know your way around electronics!

Thanks for these warm/cold descriptions. It might be a big help to me one day, when I am ready to pull the trigger.

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #134 of 247

I would add the 007 (2016 and later) well driven is a great HP. But the 009 is still ahead.It is more transparent but that can be 'controlled' by careful DAC choice or tube rolling the BHSE for example. I tube rolled my DAC to get it perfect. But that is not the whole story, far from it. The soundstage and depth on the 009 is superior, less 'head stage'. And layering and ability to handle huge amounts of information in busy sections of music without loosing anything. It dig deep as well, less bass bump and more linear bass and more texture. It is also faster, it sounds more alive and real, less held back if you get my drift. There is just more there and tons of plankton, micro detail as well. Interested to hear the HE-1 to understand how far Stats can go, if indeed it is better?

So, on the 009 it is more than the treble thing IMO. It takes some thought and work, but the rewards are there for those who stick with it.

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #135 of 247
I would add the 007 (2016 and later) well driven is a great HP. But the 009 is still ahead.It is more transparent but that can be 'controlled' by careful DAC choice or tube rolling the BHSE for example. I tube rolled my DAC to get it perfect. But that is not the whole story, far from it. The soundstage and depth on the 009 is superior, less 'head stage'. And layering and ability to handle huge amounts of information in busy sections of music without loosing anything. It dig deep as well, less bass bump and more linear bass and more texture. It is also faster, it sounds more alive and real, less held back if you get my drift. There is just more there and tons of plankton, micro detail as well. Interested to hear the HE-1 to understand how far Stats can go, if indeed it is better?

So, on the 009 it is more than the treble thing IMO. It takes some thought and work, but the rewards are there for those who stick with it.
Agree, and I totally love my 009 :D o0o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back