Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Feb 25, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #826 of 867
Quick question - I own and love the Continental V2, but have been contemplating upgrading to the v5 for something more truly portable, and also for lower noise for low impedance iems and cans. I wanted to ask anyone who's experienced both whether there's a substantial improvement in sq between the v2 and v5?

Any thoughts gratefully received!
I have the V3 & V5 is truly portable & small, it has an very black background it’s worth buying.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #827 of 867
Quick question - I own and love the Continental V2, but have been contemplating upgrading to the v5 for something more truly portable, and also for lower noise for low impedance iems and cans. I wanted to ask anyone who's experienced both whether there's a substantial improvement in sq between the v2 and v5?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

I haven’t used the V2 but I have the V5 and it hisses with low impedance earphones like CA Andromeda. I use the Iematch with Andromeda but I have used it with other earphones/headphones of around 32ohms and higher and it has s black background with those. The V5 is quite small and it barely gets worn even when using high volume and high gain!

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #828 of 867
I am using the CV5 out of the sp1000cu currently and really like it with the LCD X and Clears. It adds a bit more body to the bass and the sound stage too. It sounds really great with the Solaris I do need to use the iematch with it though or does hiss. I am bringing it to axpona to auditio. Some of the headphones there too.

I didn't test with my LCD 4Z I only had it 5 days before I had to send it for repairs one of the drivers was buzzing. When I get them back I will give it a listen. Unfortunately I think that once my Hugo TT2 comes in the CV5 will be relagated to use when not at home. Or at least when I am not at my desk.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #829 of 867
I haven’t used the V2 but I have the V5 and it hisses with low impedance earphones like CA Andromeda. I use the Iematch with Andromeda but I have used it with other earphones/headphones of around 32ohms and higher and it has s black background with those. The V5 is quite small and it barely gets worn even when using high volume and high gain!

thanks for this!

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #830 of 867
Hi,
I recently bought an Alo cv5 and connect it to my AK SP1000.
One thing am intrigued is when i chose line out from sp1000, and connected to sp1K, I expected volume would be set at max level 150, but it doesn't. So using my Utopia, sp1000 is at around 120, and cv5 at 50% which is fine.
But i guess am using amplification from sp1000 and cv5 the , right?
I would prefer to use only dac from the dap and 100% amplification from cv5.

Am I missing something ?
Thanks for your advise..

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #831 of 867
Hi,
I recently bought an Alo cv5 and connect it to my AK SP1000.
One thing am intrigued is when i chose line out from sp1000, and connected to sp1K, I expected volume would be set at max level 150, but it doesn't. So using my Utopia, sp1000 is at around 120, and cv5 at 50% which is fine.
But i guess am using amplification from sp1000 and cv5 the , right?
I would prefer to use only dac from the dap and 100% amplification from cv5.

Am I missing something ?
Thanks for your advise..
The only A&K dap that supports genuine line-out is the KANN. So I am afraid you cannot have what you want.

Mar 9, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #832 of 867
Hi folks, wonder if anyone has trialled the RHA CL1 with the V5. I know the CL1 is renowned for its hot treble, but it occurs to me a bit of Continental tubey goodness might tame it and make for a good combo?

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #833 of 867
Finally broke down and ordered the black. And extra tubes. Will use with Chord Poly/Mojo and Cascades. Will try as well with my SE846 and Atlas. @KB thanks for answering my questions from a month or so ago. Are there any leather cases still around? Paul

Apr 14, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #834 of 867
The only A&K dap that supports genuine line-out is the KANN. So I am afraid you cannot have what you want.

Yeah... but if the amp stage is flat in the passband, what's the difference? At that point, it's just a matter of setting the level for unity gain.

For the price of admission, the player better be damn flat. And if you believe the frequency response (<0.1dB over the band of interest), it is.

OP: What you're hearing using both amp stages is almost exactly what you would hear using just the Cv5 amp stage.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #836 of 867
Quick question - is there any point whatsoever in owning both the CV5 (which I currently have and love), and the RX IEM version, which I have an opportunity to pick up for a decent price? I do mainly listen with iems, and occasionally the hiss on the CV5 bothers me, but beyond that, I am super happy with it. is the RX simply redundant, or does it offer anything significantly different in terms of tonality, signature etc? Full disclosure, I do flippin' love portable amps!

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #837 of 867
Quick question - is there any point whatsoever in owning both the CV5 (which I currently have and love), and the RX IEM version, which I have an opportunity to pick up for a decent price? I do mainly listen with iems, and occasionally the hiss on the CV5 bothers me, but beyond that, I am super happy with it. is the RX simply redundant, or does it offer anything significantly different in terms of tonality, signature etc? Full disclosure, I do flippin' love portable amps!

I would recomend just picking up the ifi iematch. I think the rx would be a redundancy.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #839 of 867

The CV5 and RX are two completely different portable amps, the former being an hybrid unit using tubes in its signal preamp section, while the latter is a fully solid state one.
I own both and though I was initially of the idea that I could forego the RX while waiting for delivery of the CV5, I had to change my mind soon after a few listening sessions with the two amps.

The amazing news is that if you love the CV5, you will equally enjoy the RX - since the sound signature is the one ALO is well famous for.
But what is even more important is that the RX is in its own league when paired with iems. Although the CV5 comes with a flexible gain selector, in my opinion it's still an ideal amplifier for headphones or less sensible iems - otherwise even at the lower setting the hiss will be around the corner. On the other hand, the RX is a perfect match for highly sensible iems and it will deliver the same or very close pleasant experience that the CV5 can offer with less problematic/peaky headgear.

The bottom line is that I would never part with my beloved RX, which is still my portable amp of choice for particularly sensible iems.
I would easily recommend that you go on and also add the RX to your arsenal... it will surely come handy and pay you back with a great hiss free sound, whenever needed! You wouldn't regret it!

Cheers,
Marco

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #840 of 867
The CV5 and RX are two completely different portable amps, the former being an hybrid unit using tubes in its signal preamp section, while the latter is a fully solid state one.
I own both and though I was initially of the idea that I could forego the RX while waiting for delivery of the CV5, I had to change my mind soon after a few listening sessions with the two amps.

The amazing news is that if you love the CV5, you will equally enjoy the RX - since the sound signature is the one ALO is well famous for.
But what is even more important is that the RX is in its own league when paired with iems. Although the CV5 comes with a flexible gain selector, in my opinion it's still an ideal amplifier for headphones or less sensible iems - otherwise even at the lower setting the hiss will be around the corner. On the other hand, the RX is a perfect match for highly sensible iems and it will deliver the same or very close pleasant experience that the CV5 can offer with less problematic/peaky headgear.

The bottom line is that I would never part with my beloved RX, which is still my portable amp of choice for particularly sensible iems.
I would easily recommend that you go on and also add the RX to your arsenal... it will surely come handy and pay you back with a great hiss free sound, whenever needed! You wouldn't regret it!

Cheers,
Marco

Thanks Marco for your passionate argument for the RX! I would be very tempted based on this, but have just managed to source myself an amp I've been wanting to try for absolutely ages, the Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo...! Really looking forward to testing it against the CV5. My fear is that it will lead one way, and one way only... Vorzuge for portable, CDM for home. This hobby. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back