Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Dec 8, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #796 of 867
Yeah basically it's just as important as the cable to your IEM and I'd even say it seems to have even more impact. The interesting thing is that you can tweak the signature a bit with interconnect just like with IEM cables.
Honestly had it not been 29$ I probably wouldn't have purchased a pricey interconnect and I would have been so wrong! I have rarely stacked but I am glad for the CV5 as well, such a bargain at half price during BF...

Same here. Don't think I'd pay $100+ for an interconnect but at $29 (or even $49) well worth it. Plus, Alo packaged the SXC22 similar to the Cv5: cable is nicely 'double' boxed and in the same type of fabric bag. With that type of presentation their original pricing makes more sense. Suspect I'll be buying more of their gear in the future regardless of price.

Dec 9, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #797 of 867
Oh man I'm so glad I bought it at the same time as my CV5 then, hahaha! Though I actually don't know how it sounds like when using another interconnect, but I trust you guys lol. And yeah for sure I'm happy I decided to get it at this price. I really doubt I'd find anything better especially at the price I paid, and be able to change out the tubes too!

I got my cable last Friday (it's a Penon GS849) and I'm sad to report it sounded terrible with the CV5 (6832). It's almost like the Penon GS849 cable is quite similar to 6832 that it drowned out a lot of things. It was really weird, it sounded muddy but not really? The drums sounded so weird too, including any sounds that's percussion-like. Sounded very artificial, not the good kind. I also listen to Electronic music so it's not like I am averse to them btw.

Anyway, stock cable (CA Andromeda S) with 6832 CV5 was loads better. The cable by itself plugged directly into the source is quite nice though. It really improved everything from clarity (from lows, mids to highs), the impactful bass and it even smoothed out the treble while not losing any detail. My ears hurt the least with this current set up as well. Which makes me wonder if I should try out the 6111 tube with this cable, as I miss the separation/layering/airiness (not saying it's non-existent, just not enough for me) I could get with the CV5 + stock cable. The 6111 was really piercing for me, but it might work with this cable?

But yes, overall I actually ended up preferring this at the moment. It's the most versatile so far and it suits a lot of music genres as I seriously listen to a lot of different kinds. Truthfully, even if I am a lot more selective with genres, this still sounds the best for now. I am thinking though that this just isn't the right cable to use if I wanted to use it with the CV5. I want to try out another one (maybe Penon Leo) but I think I should wait til next year, or at least next month. I've spent way too much at too short amount of a time, LOL. The exchange rate from USD to CAD is ridiculous right now. TwT;

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #798 of 867
Do you guys think it's worth using the iFi iematch with the ALO Continental V5 and CA Andromeda? So far I like the V5 a lot with the Sony EX1000, Sennheiser 6XX and 5XX. It also sounds good with Andromeda but I can hear the hiss even when music is playing. I have never used the iematch and have read mixed reviews. Hopefully someone has experience with the iematch+Andromeda+V5!

Dec 16, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #799 of 867
Not with Andromeda, but I have been pleased with ieMatch. If you notice hiss, then it definitely helps.

Dec 16, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #801 of 867
Why not with andromeda? You don’t like how the iematch changes the sound of andromeda?

Thanks!

That's not what I mean. I don't have Andromeda. With my U12, I do notice hiss with CV5 and using ieMatch helps. I think any sensitive IEM will benefit from it.

Dec 16, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #803 of 867
Just wanted to update that using the Penon GS849 cable + Alo CV5 (6111 tube) was a good match. Surprisingly what I was hoping for. The airiness is back and there's some punch to the bass. Also around 20% improvement with clarity.

Again, I would like to order the Penon Leo cable next year and match it with the 6832 tube - it might be an even better match! :D Though I'm kind of thinking if I should get a DAP instead...

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #804 of 867
The tube is kinda cheap relative to the amp price. It definitely worth the price even just for playing around. :wink:

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #805 of 867
Yes for sure! The amp is worth it and especially the tubes. I actually want to send them different ones to get mounted but that'll be a while from now.

However, my SXC 22 compact right angle mini to mini cable kinda died. :frowning2: So I can't use my CV5 (it's my only interconnect cable) for a while it looks like ahhh I'm really sad, just when I'm enjoying it so much too! The sound doesn't come out of the right earpiece anymore, just the left. (Yes, I've tried plugging it directly to the source and it's fine.) I've already contacted them to see if there's anything they can do for me. I hope I don't have to send it back 'cos the shipping price from Canada is fairly high especially since this is only $29 and it has a box.

EDIT : It might actually be my CV5 that's having problems so I've already contacted them and I'll be mailing both the cable and the CV5 together just in case. >_<;

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #806 of 867
So I had sourced a 6BF7 (big fatty) tube on eBay and got it mounted by ALO on PCB... received it today and... oh my now this is what I was looking for : rich and full sound, warm and organic and tubey... this is the most different of the three tube I have : stock 6111 (more neutral / reference and solid state sounding tube), 6832 (lively and punchy but still not too coloured).

Tube rolling is quite fun, now if I only could source a Mullard... but right now happy with the 6BF7, best match to my taste...

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #807 of 867
Thank you for your impressions ! Anything to report noisefloor-wise ?

... As for sound, I currently enjoy the 6BF7 the most right now with Ether 2. But 6111 has advantage in that it has spacious and holographic soundstage that wasn't as apparent in either 6832 and 6BF7. 6832 is a fun one, warmer, bassier, impactful. 6BF7 is a sweet one, still warm, smooth but not as much impact though, bass is more linear. :)

It'll be interesting to have your take on the bass once you clock in more listening time.

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #808 of 867
@jeffri : do you mainly use the Cv5 with your Onkyo DP-CMX1 ? (Sorry if the answer is not too far back in the thread, I've got some catching up to do ^^)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #809 of 867
So I had sourced a 6BF7 (big fatty) tube on eBay and got it mounted by ALO on PCB... received it today and... oh my now this is what I was looking for : rich and full sound, warm and organic and tubey... this is the most different of the three tube I have : stock 6111 (more neutral / reference and solid state sounding tube), 6832 (lively and punchy but still not too coloured).

Tube rolling is quite fun, now if I only could source a Mullard... but right now happy with the 6BF7, best match to my taste...

Is the 6BF7 a green version or gold version?
I remembered there were 2 versions on ALO.
Never have the chance to use it yet with CV5 or CDM.
Maybe, I will open them up and test them.
Still using GE 6021 all these time.

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #810 of 867
Is the 6BF7 a green version or gold version?
I remembered there were 2 versions on ALO.
Never have the chance to use it yet with CV5 or CDM.
Maybe, I will open them up and test them.
Still using GE 6021 all these time.

Not sure as it wasn’t sold by ALO itself it’s out of stock on their website, they advised I look on eBay and send it their way for mounting on PCB, the markings are not green but orange and it’s one built by Raytheon.

Not heard of GE6021 isn’t it a variant of 6111? Or the famous Mullard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back