Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Oct 2, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #436 of 867
Sorry that you missed it, but on this very thread over 5 days ago Ken Ball posted the following:

"Hey Guys,

I will leave the pre order price in place for another 24 - 48 hours and then move it to the regular price. FYI please be warned.

Thank you

ken"

So I'd consider that fair warning. 

And having both the CDM and CV5 I would argue that the CV5 is well worth the $799 price. Awesome stuff from Mr. Ball and Mr. Rossi. 

Cheers 

I own a Alo RX myself and I would certainly never argue the quality and the price point of any of their products.

However, since when posts on a forum hosted by a third-party website should replace or be in contrast with the official information advertised on the company's website?

I don't argue the quality of the Alo products, it's truly impossible, but I feel they could probably review their communications strategy a little bit or at east make sure that the 'informal' notices passed over to their customers on the forums be consistent with the information published on their official website, which should remain - I believe - the only authoritative place any potential customer should refer to.

Would it be fair, just as an extreme example, to read on an ipotetical company A website that their X amplifier has a gain switch, only to discover later that it was not correct, but that this information was disclosed in a post on the Head-Fi's forum? I don't think so...

I shall end my rant here... the support, their presence on the forums, the love and passion that Alo showcase with anything they do is amazing! I didn't mean to deny that... and the price tag of US$ 799 is surely in line with the quality of the CV5 that I've been reading about...

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #437 of 867
I own a Alo RX myself and I would certainly never argue the quality and the price point of any of their products.

However, since when posts on a forum hosted by a third-party website should replace or be in contrast with the official information advertised on the company's website?

I don't argue the quality of the Alo products, it's truly impossible, but I feel they could probably review their communications strategy a little bit or at east make sure that the 'informal' notices passed over to their customers on the forums be consistent with the information published on their official website, which should remain - I believe - the only authoritative place any potential customer should refer to.

Would it be fair, just as an extreme example, to read on an ipotetical company A website that their X amplifier has a gain switch, only to discover later that it was not correct, but that this information was disclosed in a post on the Head-Fi's forum? I don't think so...

I shall end my rant here... the support, their presence on the forums, the love and passion that Alo showcase with anything they do is amazing! I didn't mean to deny that... and the price tag of US$ 799 is surely in line with the quality of the CV5 that I've been reading about...

Very fair point and well stated. Cheers

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #439 of 867

I think there was some misinterpretation of the pre sale and ship date. As we stated here on the forum and on the website the estimated shipping date is was OCT 3. I stated that we will try and ship early if possible, but once we start shipping the price would go back to full retail. The website stated that the shipping date was Oct 3rd, which was not correct as we were able to pull off a ahead of schedule ship date. Even though we shipped early we kept the "pre order" price in place for almost a week after. I think we had a pretty decent length pre order in place for everyone and certainly plenty of notice ahead of time for all because of our long delay. I also posted a warning on this forum several days ahead of time before the switch. So I would not really agree with your gain switch analogy here. I am sorry you got caught in the switch period and the wording on the website and what was posted was not as clear as it could be I guess, so for that I apologize. 

Preordering always gets someone mad when we switch over to full retail no matter how its done.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 3, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #441 of 867
Going to spend the night listening to my favorite music

de9b9a9cb172c35d001d54a7a6d3f09d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #442 of 867
Hello to everybody, I am new to the forum even though I have been reading from time to time recently.

I've received last week my new V5 that I just had the chance to listen to for a few time now, 3 albums for the sake of precision. It is a big leap from the FiiO E7 I was using so far, it was expected for sure because of the price but it is always a pleasure to be reassured about blind purchases like this.

It looks and feels like a high quality amp and the initial impressions are extremely positive. If I had to summarize shortly there are 3 areas I immediately spotted versus other amps:

1) texture of the bass
2) imaging
3) 3d feeling

I cannot or I do not want to say anything about the tone/timbre because it need a break-in period and I just started to use it. But I really like what I am hearing. I will be posting more in the coming days.
So, for the time being Bravo! to all you guys at Alo and to all of this forum's contributors that guided me to the choice.
Ciao
Alessandro

ps.: for those complaining for the price or the ended pre-order, please note that custom clearance here in Italy charged  me 172 €... So thanks to the pre-order I could mitigate the impact...  

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #443 of 867
Hello to everybody, I am new to the forum even though I have been reading from time to time recently.

I've received last week my new V5 that I just had the chance to listen to for a few time now, 3 albums for the sake of precision. It is a big leap from the FiiO E7 I was using so far, it was expected for sure because of the price but it is always a pleasure to be reassured about blind purchases like this.

It looks and feels like a high quality amp and the initial impressions are extremely positive. If I had to summarize shortly there are 3 areas I immediately spotted versus other amps:

1) texture of the bass
2) imaging
3) 3d feeling

I cannot or I do not want to say anything about the tone/timbre because it need a break-in period and I just started to use it. But I really like what I am hearing. I will be posting more in the coming days.
So, for the time being Bravo! to all you guys at Alo and to all of this forum's contributors that guided me to the choice.
Ciao
Alessandro

ps.: for those complaining for the price or the ended pre-order, please note that custom clearance here in Italy charged  me 172 €... So thanks to the pre-order I could mitigate the impact...  

Yup, those three categories are characteristics of a good tube design. Noticing the soundstage expanding a little more with k10c and Utopia, about 1 inch more out of your side head. I don't feel like that with new Rx and CDM.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #444 of 867
Listening to Utopia last night, the vocal sounds a little too much of " ssshh". When word has "s" in it. Switched to Phillips 6111, vocal sounds with "s" normally. This is how I can described it. Don't the affect on my k10c yet. Maybe, u can listen to vocal then switch the tube and also listen to the same song couple times.
Raytheon 6832 is powerful though.

I haven't been hearing what you did...

It's hard to A/B this since I only have one Cv5 and no switching circuitry... but my impressions were that the stock 6111 has a little bit less bass gain, little quieter noise floor, maybe a little more gain in the lower mids (but hard to say if it just seems that way because there's less gain in the bass), and maybe a little less susceptible to RFI (though I honestly have no idea if it's just coincidental).

My preference so far is the stock tube, but maybe once my Rx comes back from the factory I'll switch back to the 6832 for a little variety in sound.

I can say though that lately RFI hasn't been nearly as bad of an issue as the first time I tried it. Earlier, anytime someone even walked by with a smartphone I'd get a ton of noise. Now I can listen at the office with hardly a buzz. Not sure what the factors were... I swapped to the stock tube, removed the Rx from the stack, replaced the long(er) 6" interconnect to the Cv5 with a green line interconnect. I assume the shorter cable has less of an antenna effect and the green line cable is beefier so I presume it has better shielding or isolation. I should probably try a more controlled experiment at some point.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #445 of 867
I haven't been hearing what you did...

It's hard to A/B this since I only have one Cv5 and no switching circuitry... but my impressions were that the stock 6111 has a little bit less bass gain, little quieter noise floor, maybe a little more gain in the lower mids (but hard to say if it just seems that way because there's less gain in the bass), and maybe a little less susceptible to RFI (though I honestly have no idea if it's just coincidental).

My preference so far is the stock tube, but maybe once my Rx comes back from the factory I'll switch back to the 6832 for a little variety in sound.

I can say though that lately RFI hasn't been nearly as bad of an issue as the first time I tried it. Earlier, anytime someone even walked by with a smartphone I'd get a ton of noise. Now I can listen at the office with hardly a buzz. Not sure what the factors were... I swapped to the stock tube, removed the Rx from the stack, replaced the long(er) 6" interconnect to the Cv5 with a green line interconnect. I assume the shorter cable has less of an antenna effect and the green line cable is beefier so I presume it has better shielding or isolation. I should probably try a more controlled experiment at some point.

Typing right now using phone and listening to Cv5 with no RFI. Putting the phone right next Cv5 and no noise as well.
Using ALO mini to mini from qp1r to Cv5 and listening you Utopia right now.
Using stock tube right now.
Will test 6832 later again to compare or test them in my CDM to see and compare to my Ray 6111 tubes as well.
Ray 6832 maybe too powerful for vocal though.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #446 of 867
Typing right now using phone and listening to Cv5 with no RFI. Putting the phone right next Cv5 and no noise as well.
Using ALO mini to mini from qp1r to Cv5 and listening you Utopia right now.
Using stock tube right now.
Will test 6832 later again to compare or test them in my CDM to see and compare to my Ray 6111 tubes as well.
Ray 6832 maybe too powerful for vocal though.

You should only get noise when your phone is actively transmitting, and only on certain bands. Try running an internet speed test app with your phone next to the Cv5... you might hear something. Or the tower in your region could be operating on a different band and you'll never hear anything. In my region, the LTE band causes RF interference but HSPA does not.

I wish there was a user accessible register interface to these radios and some status register to indicate transmit frequency, power, local backoff, etc. But apparently the consumer phone industry thinks we're too dumb to know what it means.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #447 of 867
Received mine today!  have it paired with my AK380 Black and LCD-2 and the sounds is great!  It has no problem driving the 2's, but comes up a little short on my LCD-4's (Which is totally expected, I have a Moon neo 430 that drive those)  . 

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #448 of 867
Received mine today. I have many portable headamps and it always seemed like I had to compromise on sound with my on-the-go rig.  Not anymore.  Best sounding portable amp I've ever heard.  Really small compared to the Continental V2 I bought several years ago.  I've loved the V2 for a long time, but the V5 runs circles around it.  This V5 is powerful, yet it wields its power with a velvet glove.  Great bass...nicely textured, never bloated...just right.  Mids simply inhabit the happy zone every audiophile craves...nothing more to say about that.  The treble is extended, clean, sweet....just perfect.  This is a darker-sounding amp that has great extension at both ends.  Amazing job by Ken and everyone at ALO.   I listen almost exclusively to classical music.  Right now I am listening to the V5 with my McIntosh Headphones (by the way, the best closed back headphones ever created as far as I am concerned).  Not using any fancy DACS...I have a huge CD collection I just use a cheap Sony portable CD player (i.e., the D-EJ011, to be exact....used to cost about 40 bucks).  This is the last portable headamp I will ever buy since it will certainly never get any better than this.  By the way, wonderful imaging and soundstage.  If your are a classical music lover, this is it.  WOW!  By the way, Ken was right...no baground hiss when using the Shure SE846s and JH Laylas even at quite high volumes (the V2 hissed more than a wild cat when using it with IEMs).

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #449 of 867
  Received mine today. I have many portable headamps and it always seemed like I had to compromise on sound with my on-the-go rig.  Not anymore.  Best sounding portable amp I've ever heard.  Really small compared to the Continental V2 I bought several years ago.  I've loved the V2 for a long time, but the V5 runs circles around it.  This V5 is powerful, yet it wields its power with a velvet glove.  Great bass...nicely textured, never bloated...just right.  Mids simply inhabit the happy zone every audiophile craves...nothing more to say about that.  The treble is extended, clean, sweet....just perfect.  This is a darker-sounding amp that has great extension at both ends.  Amazing job by Ken and everyone at ALO.   I listen almost exclusively to classical music.  Right now I am listening to the V5 with my McIntosh Headphones (by the way, the best closed back headphones ever created as far as I am concerned).  Not using any fancy DACS...I have a huge CD collection I just use a cheap Sony portable CD player (i.e., the D-EJ011, to be exact....used to cost about 40 bucks).  This is the last portable headamp I will ever buy since it will certainly never get any better than this.  By the way, wonderful imaging and soundstage.  If your are a classical music lover, this is it.  WOW!

Rip your CD's to FLAC level 0, hook it up to a Chord Mojo and the portable lovin' will only get better! Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back