Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Oct 1, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #421 of 867
Today I compared with a switch box the CDM SE with Sonotones and the V5 + 6832 with the dual mojo output and I could not differentiate the sound. It was really close. I did this with HE1000 and JR16. With the Mullard 6021 on the V5 there was a little bit less presence that with the 6832 but only noticeable with the switch box and not perceptible on all tracks (instant switch between one amp and the other without disconnecting anything, just flipping a switch)

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #422 of 867
Today I compared with a switch box the CDM SE with Sonotones and the V5 + 6832 with the dual mojo output and I could not differentiate the sound. It was really close. I did this with HE1000 and JR16. With the Mullard 6021 on the V5 there was a little bit less presence that with the 6832 but only noticeable with the switch box and not perceptible on all tracks (instant switch between one amp and the other without disconnecting anything, just flipping a switch)

So, 6832 better a little bit?

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #423 of 867
Oops... I was on the Alo Audio website to place my order for one Continental v5 today, but once on the product page I was welcomed by the regular price of $799.

Just a few days ago, the product page was indicating a special pre-order price of $699, valid before the 3rd of October, which was probably the date Alo Audio was expecting to be able to start shipping the new CV5.

I'm now reading here on Head-Fi that some of you have been receiving their new Continental v5's during the last few days! Hence why the pre-order price has been terminated earlier than previously advertised.

It's really too bad that, on the basis of the previous information available on the Alo Audio website, I was deliberately waiting until today (October) to place the order... and just because my credit card in September could not really support this unexpected purchase. That's what happen when someone does not keep up with the news (I read about the CV5 in late September only) and thus fail to prepare his/her plans properly.

I was really hoping to get advantage of the special pre-order price, which would have helped mitigating the HEAVY impact customs duties and VAT on import. :-/

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #424 of 867
Oops... I was on the Alo Audio website to place my order for one Continental v5 today, but once on the product page I was welcomed by the regular price of $799.

Just a few days ago, the product page was indicating a special pre-order price of $699, valid before the 3rd of October, which was probably the date Alo Audio was expecting to be able to start shipping the new CV5.

I'm now reading here on Head-Fi that some of you have been receiving their new Continental v5's during the last few days! Hence why the pre-order price has been terminated earlier than previously advertised.

It's really too bad that, on the basis of the previous information available on the Alo Audio website, I was deliberately waiting until today (October) to place the order... and just because my credit card in September could not really support this unexpected purchase. That's what happen when someone does not keep up with the news (I read about the CV5 in late September only) and thus fail to prepare his/her plans properly.

I was really hoping to get advantage of the special pre-order price, which would have helped mitigating the HEAVY impact customs duties and VAT on import. :-/

​Your ship has sailed and you've been left on the dock holding a bucket of sardines!

Oct 1, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #426 of 867
I've had some more time with the CV5. I'm using the Mojo as dac 4 volume clicks under the default line out. My transport is the Nexus 6p running USB Audio Player Pro. All powering the Focal Elear.

These are the observations of the CV5 and Mojo together vs the Mojo alone.

Increased bass
Less mid range grain
Wider soundstage
Better imaging
The Mojo by itself has a thinner sound

One nice aspect of the CV5 is that I'm not playing with the volume as much when the Elear demonstrates it's dynamic nature. When certain passages of tracks are dynamically enhanced the CV5 seems to be taking the edge off. Hope that makes sense. This is still while keeping the dynamic nature of Elear in tact.

I'm loving it overall and just feel immersed in the music. I'm using my phone to stream Tidal about 1.5 to 2 ft from the CV5 and have zero RF interference.

So worthwhile to buy the c5 in addition to owning the mojo? I actually have elears and the mojo, just deciding if 800 will noticeably better the sound

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #435 of 867

Sorry that you missed it, but on this very thread over 5 days ago Ken Ball posted the following:

"Hey Guys,

I will leave the pre order price in place for another 24 - 48 hours and then move it to the regular price. FYI please be warned.

Thank you

ken"

So I'd consider that fair warning. 

And having both the CDM and CV5 I would argue that the CV5 is well worth the $799 price. Awesome stuff from Mr. Ball and Mr. Rossi. 

Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back