Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Mar 27, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #107 of 867
My v3 is only a few weeks old... :)

Tremendous synergy with Custom Art Harmony 8 regulars by the way, precisely because they sound their best with a powerful and slightly over-enthusiatic-in-the-upper-regions amp.

Pairing v3 with DT 1770 Pro was an acidic nightmare...
biggrin.gif

More successful with LCD2, but Rx MK3-B+ keeps the lead.

My dap's a dual dac equivalent of the one Vinnie and Ken implemented in the CDM, so getting v5 would be like creating an über CDM...... player included ^^

Where do I sign ?

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #108 of 867

[...]  
One is not clearly better.  CDM is a larger portable 'beast' that has USB input to wolfson dac, SE and BAL inputs/outputs, and dual mono tubestage.  It is closer sounding to the ALO Studio Six reference desktop tube headphone amp. 
[...]

I hope this helps!

Vinnie

My mouth is still hanging open at this daring comparison to the Studio Six!

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #110 of 867

hykhleif

Sure, the bass adjust feature on the Mk3 was cool but in the end it was extra circuitry on the PCB and = more noise and complexity for something new. Adding a bass adjust to a portable tube amp just was not on the design of the Cv5 as we feel the bass on the little tube amp is perfect and we like the cleaner more purist approach for this one. 

Thanks for asking though.

Ken

thanks Ken for answering, but maybe u can put things in perspective for me, how does the bass on cv5 compare to the bass fully dialed in on the rx mk3

is it less or about the same?

Bass is really important to me and I know there are more to things than bass, but at least I get an idea

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #111 of 867
  thanks Ken for answering, but maybe u can put things in perspective for me, how does the bass on cv5 compare to the bass fully dialed in on the rx mk3

is it less or about the same?

Bass is really important to me and I know there are more to things than bass, but at least I get an idea

I just compared A/B with the Mk3 B bass at full vs the Cv5, the low end on the Mk3B is for sure doing what it is intended to do, add more weight and boom. So if that is what your after yeah I would say the Mk3B with bass adjustment at full will have a darker heavier 20-100hz perceived weight vs the Cv5. However I must say that the Mk3 is not as wide or "natural" sounding as the Cv5. But I can see why people do love that feature with the bass adjust :wink: I think we we did a great job with the Mk3s bass adjust in terms of making it "just right" and not over doing it. I greatly prefer the sound of the Cv5 and I am not just saying so for the sake of sales, we are very proud of the technical accomplishment with the Cv5.

I hope this helps.

Thank you

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 30, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #113 of 867

I just compared A/B with the Mk3 B bass at full vs the Cv5, the low end on the Mk3B is for sure doing what it is intended to do, add more weight and boom. So if that is what your after yeah I would say the Mk3B with bass adjustment at full will have a darker heavier 20-100hz perceived weight vs the Cv5. However I must say that the Mk3 is not as wide or "natural" sounding as the Cv5. But I can see why people do love that feature with the bass adjust :wink: I think we we did a great job with the Mk3s bass adjust in terms of making it "just right" and not over doing it. I greatly prefer the sound of the Cv5 and I am not just saying so for the sake of sales, we are very proud of the technical accomplishment with the Cv5.

I hope this helps.

Thank you

ken

well i am going to buy the cv5 but I really hope u come up with a successor for the mk3 B+ as that is simply a great great amp that has the same bass boost

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #115 of 867
  well i am going to buy the cv5 but I really hope u come up with a successor for the mk3 B+ as that is simply a great great amp that has the same bass boost

Noted on that and thank you.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 30, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #116 of 867
Oh man, now I can't decide. I was already planning to buy the new Rx and now this 
confused_face.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #118 of 867
Yeah I figured that they would be somewhat different, will probably wait until I try the CV5 out 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #119 of 867
As someone who is looking for their first tube amp to drive mainly IEMs (plus the occasional full size can), would you recommend the v5 vs the CDM? I am struggling a bit to understand the differences between the two in terms of sound. I only need an amp as I will be using the mojo as a dac. Many thanks for your help in advance!

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #120 of 867
As someone who is looking for their first tube amp to drive mainly IEMs (plus the occasional full size can), would you recommend the v5 vs the CDM? I am struggling a bit to understand the differences between the two in terms of sound. I only need an amp as I will be using the mojo as a dac. Many thanks for your help in advance!

For you, it's a no brainer -> v5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back