Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Mar 22, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #61 of 867
Woah just saw this today, this can drive the HE1000?! SOLD. I've been using your guys studio six with the HE1000 and it is unbelievably amazing pairing.

Listening to HE1000s today via Lotoo Gold and Cv5, plenty loud with good authority really :wink: woot!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 22, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #62 of 867
Hi Ken, does it have hiss when used with sensitive IEM like the K10? Thanks

I never tried it with my k10. It definitely hissed with the Jupiter, but the Jupiter is incredibly sensitive, makes the k10 seem hard to drive in comparison.

I wouldn't expect it to be dead silent with the k10, but it's definitely very quiet for a tube amp so don't worry about that :)

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #63 of 867
I had a chance to demo this a bit off a Lotoo PAW and super secret headphone.  It sounded very good!  I'm looking forward to hearing more of it in the future.

Got to hear the v5 at CanJam with Ken's 'coming soon' beryllium-coated-driver over-ear headphones.

They both sounded amazing. 

I thought the headphones were a little hot in the 6-8kHz range, and Ken agreed and said it would be smoothed out for their final voicing.

I think Ken is going to do very well with both of them. :D

I heard the headphone in its previous form, before the latest revised tuning and I must say that while it was still some ways to go, it had definite potential, just some changes in smoothening out the highs and filling out the mids and bass (which Jem completely agreed with) and it would be probably the nicest sounding closed headphone I have ever heard.

The revision you guys heard was supposedly much improved already, and I cannot wait for it to be finalised :)

The cv5 too, just awesome stuff, smoke the best I've heard (and I've had the pure 2, Portaphile, among others).

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #64 of 867
The revision you guys heard was supposedly much improved already, and I cannot wait for it to be finalised
smily_headphones1.gif

The version of the headphone that was at CanJam has been completely redesigned and improved compared to the original version that was at last year's Newport show.

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #65 of 867

The version of the headphone that was at CanJam has been completely redesigned and improved compared to the original version that was at last year's Newport show.

Any pictures of the updated version floating around? 
L3000.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #67 of 867

Listening to HE1000s today via Lotoo Gold and Cv5, plenty loud with good authority really :wink: woot!

Ken

can i ask Ken, why did u remove the bass boost option in ur new amps, as the bass boost in ur rx mk 3 B was a killer feature

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #68 of 867
I can't speak for Ken, but the portable amp market had actually been moving in that direction for a while, tone adjustments and hardware EQ are becoming less common, and this is usually attributed to simplifying the signal path for improved signal quality.

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #69 of 867
Whoah! This is exactly what I was waiting for. I couldn't justify the CDM as I didn't want the DAC section, but this!

I was blown away with the new Rx and reading the thread I can say with certainty I want a C V5 (A.S.A.P.)! I trust Ken's and Vinnie's tuning and I'm sure this will be a great little piece of gear. Love ALO.

:D

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #70 of 867
Whoah! This is exactly what I was waiting for. I couldn't justify the CDM as I didn't want the DAC section, but this!

I was blown away with the new Rx and reading the thread I can say with certainty I want a C V5 (A.S.A.P.)! I trust Ken's and Vinnie's tuning and I'm sure this will be a great little piece of gear. Love ALO.

:D

It is awesome, you will LOVE it no doubt!!

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #71 of 867
Great looking amp. Marketing and positioning reminds me of chord mojo. Just like v5 is to cdm, mojo is to hugo.

However mojo was successful cause it convinced ppl of its value. Even at 600 its considered a bargain. With descrete dac and all.
I guess thats big challenge for alo. Not heard it, so cant comment on its value.

I like looks of alo amps, but only one i am willing to buy is rx cause of its good price and apparently stellar performance. 700 makes me a bit dizzy.:cool:

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #72 of 867
Great looking amp. Marketing and positioning reminds me of chord mojo. Just like v5 is to cdm, mojo is to hugo.

However mojo was successful cause it convinced ppl of its value. Even at 600 its considered a bargain. With descrete dac and all.
I guess thats big challenge for alo. Not heard it, so cant comment on its value.

I like looks of alo amps, but only one i am willing to buy is rx cause of its good price and apparently stellar performance. 700 makes me a bit dizzy.
cool.gif

If the CDM is anything to go by: stability perfect for everything out there, low noise, and the loveliness of tubes.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #73 of 867
  can i ask Ken, why did u remove the bass boost option in ur new amps, as the bass boost in ur rx mk 3 B was a killer feature

hykhleif

Sure, the bass adjust feature on the Mk3 was cool but in the end it was extra circuitry on the PCB and = more noise and complexity for something new. Adding a bass adjust to a portable tube amp just was not on the design of the Cv5 as we feel the bass on the little tube amp is perfect and we like the cleaner more purist approach for this one. 

Thanks for asking though.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 23, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #74 of 867
Like WDCChee, I use the Kojo Technology brass as my portable; it is terrific. The Pure 2 is a powerful and clean but I found it a bit flat.

I have had the good fortune of trying out hundreds of portable amps in Tokyo and quite liked some of the Continentals; look forward to checking out the V5 for comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back