Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Dec 7, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #586 of 867
Is it implemented as a switch or just unity gain through the amp stage? Bottom line, I don't think your question is an apples to apples comparison... So it's not fair to say Cv5 in the loop would give poorer performance.

That said, solid state designs have less distortion and better performance than tube designs in general. People don't typically buy tube amplifiers strictly for audio performance. They do it because it might sound more pleasing to them.

One might argue (as many do) that people buy equipment for their pleasure in listening to it, not for the numbers or charts of measurements. If by "performance" you mean measurements then I politely disagree. If instead by performance you mean maximum SQ alignment with an individuals taste, then I agree in concept, although I've owned quite a number of tube amps (and SS) and love their sound. Cheers

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #587 of 867
One might argue (as many do) that people buy equipment for their pleasure in listening to it, not for the numbers or charts of measurements. If by "performance" you mean measurements then I politely disagree. If instead by performance you mean maximum SQ alignment with an individuals taste, then I agree in concept, although I've owned quite a number of tube amps (and SS) and love their sound. Cheers

I'm saying that tube amps sound more pleasing to some people than solid state, though solid state has better measured performance. Good luck trying to prove tube designs have better measured performance.

Dec 7, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #588 of 867
I'm saying that tube amps sound more pleasing to some people than solid state, though solid state has better measured performance. Good luck trying to prove tube designs have better measured performance.

Actually I totally agree on the measured performance part! 

Also I find personally that at times I prefer the sound of SS and other times I prefer tubes - they each bring different strengths (although there can also be huge variety of sounds across either SS units or tube units). 

At the end of the day, I can get fed-up by people who focus too much on the measurements/numbers and less on the real musical experience, engaging with their brain versus the heart and soul. It's like driving while you're watching the dash versus looking up and really enjoying the ride and the view. 

Cheers 

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #589 of 867
  At the end of the day, I can get fed-up by people who focus too much on the measurements/numbers and less on the real musical experience, engaging with their brain versus the heart and soul. It's like driving while you're watching the dash versus looking up and really enjoying the ride and the view. 

Cheers 

... or tasting a nice food and go by the specifications of the pots/pans it was cooked in to decide whether it's good or not, rather than trusting our sensations/emotions and taking the time to fully enjoy the meal, before judging the cook! 

Very similar to what happens with the recurring debate on Vynil vs CD, in the meaningless attempt of trying to determine which one sounds better.

Absolutely agree with you!

P.S. Of course I'm not trying to demystify the importance of measurements! They serve a purpose as well...

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #590 of 867
... or tasting a nice food and go by the specifications of the pots/pans it was cooked in to decide whether it's good or not, rather than trusting our sensations/emotions and taking the time to fully enjoy the meal, before judging the cook! 

Very similar to what happens with the recurring debate on Vynil vs CD, in the meaningless attempt of trying to determine which one sounds better.

P.S. Of course I'm not trying to demystify the importance of measurements! They serve a purpose as well...

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #591 of 867

I do! :)  ... and spotted the cover of "Siamese Dream" in the above picture immediately! Years and years of experience... 
normal_smile .gif

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #592 of 867
Actually I totally agree on the measured performance part! 

Also I find personally that at times I prefer the sound of SS and other times I prefer tubes - they each bring different strengths (although there can also be huge variety of sounds across either SS units or tube units). 

Cheers 

It's just as easy to get fed up with the guy who puts duct tape over the speedometer of his Ford Fiesta and then claims he can drive faster than a Bugatti.

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #593 of 867
It's just as easy to get fed up with the guy who puts duct tape over the speedometer of his Ford Fiesta and then claims he can drive faster than a Bugatti.

Less that he says he's faster then a Bugatti, and more about whether he really enjoyed the ride.

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #595 of 867
Hi, I purchased this amp at the end of September and have been using it since October at least 1 hour a day (yes, ok, night...).

After 2 months of constant use with a few headphones and all kind of music I can asses the initial impressions I had. A great little amp overall, a device made to enjoy music at any level.
However it is only recently, let's say a couple of weeks that it sort of blossomed to a level I could not imagine when I started using it.
The sound went thicker, physical, more palpable with an enhanced sense of depth and 3D feeling. Instruments as like as voices got fleshy and seductive.
Also soundstage got more precise and rich of details, wider and deeper than at the beginning. Sounds are chiseled and well positioned in space.

I am everyday happier of this purchase and I am really enjoying all kind of music so much that any kind of technical consideration is irrelevant. It really remind me of my beloved Conrad Johnson preamp/amps, Music Machines.

Ken, this is really a gem. Excellent job indeed.
Complimenti

Alessandro

Ah.., right, defects? Mmh... Battery life and charging time...
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #596 of 867
  Hi, I purchased this amp at the end of September and have been using it since October at least 1 hour a day (yes, ok, night...).

After 2 months of constant use with a few headphones and all kind of music I can asses the initial impressions I had. A great little amp overall, a device made to enjoy music at any level.
However it is only recently, let's say a couple of weeks that it sort of blossomed to a level I could not imagine when I started using it.
The sound went thicker, physical, more palpable with an enhanced sense of depth and 3D feeling. Instruments as like as voices got fleshy and seductive.
Also soundstage got more precise and rich of details, wider and deeper than at the beginning. Sounds are chiseled and well positioned in space.

I am everyday happier of this purchase and I am really enjoying all kind of music so much that any kind of technical consideration is irrelevant. It really remind me of my beloved Conrad Johnson preamp/amps, Music Machines.

Ken, this is really a gem. Excellent job indeed.
Complimenti

Alessandro

Ah.., right, defects? Mmh... Battery life and charging time...
wink.gif

Once you hear Cv5 for awhile then going back to Rx, HA2, Intruder feels like all of those older units unbearable to hear.
Now, enjoying your time to tube rolling. 

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #597 of 867
Hi ,
My Cv5 is dead.
No sound, just static sound spiking through my ears. Painful.
Swapped from ipod touch to Qp1r and still the same, static sound.
Need to send it back to Ken for his team diagnose the problem and fix.

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #598 of 867
Hi ,
My Cv5 is dead.
No sound, just static sound spiking through my ears. Painful.
Swapped from ipod touch to Qp1r and still the same, static sound.
Need to send it back to Ken for his team diagnose the problem and fix.

Do you have an extra tube to test?

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #600 of 867
Yes, I will test it tonight after work. I just doubt it's the tube problem.

Always good to run down the possible reasons. Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back