Introducing the LCD-i3
Dec 23, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #421 of 1,042
Ok, I have a problem. I thought it was because I was using an adpter, but I've just plugged the cipher cable directly into my brothers iphone, and it distorts horribly at max volume. Yes, you could say its bad to listen at that volume (though its not THAT loud), but the point is it was advertised that to work this way. Its not the earphones, as when I plug them into a souce, it wont distort even a ear bleeding volume (like 2W of power). It also seems to be only on certen bass enthersied tracks like modern rap. I would be very gratful if anyone could listen to the new danny brown record (the biggest culprit of this) on the cipher cable and slowly rase the volume. If you max out without a very obvisous bass distortion, then my cable needs to be replaced. I've contacted audeze, but they wont be cable to get back until the new year, so it would be nice to know if its something that can actually be sorted at all.

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #422 of 1,042
Ok, I have a problem. I thought it was because I was using an adpter, but I've just plugged the cipher cable directly into my brothers iphone, and it distorts horribly at max volume. Yes, you could say its bad to listen at that volume (though its not THAT loud), but the point is it was advertised that to work this way. Its not the earphones, as when I plug them into a souce, it wont distort even a ear bleeding volume (like 2W of power). It also seems to be only on certen bass enthersied tracks like modern rap. I would be very gratful if anyone could listen to the new danny brown record (the biggest culprit of this) on the cipher cable and slowly rase the volume. If you max out without a very obvisous bass distortion, then my cable needs to be replaced. I've contacted audeze, but they wont be cable to get back until the new year, so it would be nice to know if its something that can actually be sorted at all.
Exactly how high is the volume when you raise it to the max? Because at least in my cable, there's no way I would be able to listen at those levels. So I'm trying to understand if there's something wrong with your cable that also causes the volume to be lower. I haven't tried what you've asked yet, but I can say that generally the cipher is not as smooth sounding as let's say my LG V20, so I'm guessing there's some distortion there.

Dec 24, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #423 of 1,042
There is 0% audible distortion until you reach a threshold. For an iPhone it is one click from the max, before then it sound fine. It's so blatent that if your worried its going to be to loud. Just having it near your ears will be enough to here it. I'll be clear in saying that maybe I do indeed play to loud. I run my planars through very powerful amps. It's really hard to go back to listening to these things at conventional levels. Maybe I need a intervention. :triportsad:

Dec 24, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #425 of 1,042
Using a cable like that on an headphone this good is a crime, you guys should be punished :deadhorse:

Try as I might, I can't make them sound how the Cipher cable does. Whatever eq is on that is more preferred than anything I can create. If some finally uploads a frequency curve I like more I'll switch. Also, I don't have any portable amps, so I'm stuck with the Cipher while on the move (one of the larger reason I bought it).

Dec 24, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #426 of 1,042
For my personal taste, vocals have to be intimate and that's what I like on the LCD-i3. Then there's that purity and realism on female vocals, with perfect timbre, which make them so special.
LCD-i4 has the same intimacy, but takes the experience to a new level in terms of imaging, separation and micro-detail. Even using the LCD-i4 silver cable on the LCD-i3, doesn't make them touch LCD-i4 performance. But for the price LCD-i3 is just phenomenal. I've compared it to the 1400€ campfire Audio Atlas and boy, is the LCD-i3 so much better... In all aspects.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #427 of 1,042
Try as I might, I can't make them sound how the Cipher cable does. Whatever eq is on that is more preferred than anything I can create. If some finally uploads a frequency curve I like more I'll switch. Also, I don't have any portable amps, so I'm stuck with the Cipher while on the move (one of the larger reason I bought it).
My "trick" was to use it on a DAC with a "Bass Boost" feature, which is the iFi micro iDSD Black Label. This DAC is almost as good as the Hugo 2, costs 600€ and XBass makes all the difference for the LCD-i3/i4. Really powerful bass comes out of them now with no distortion. No more EQ needed besides XBass. Of course this is not exactly the best portable solution, but I've been taking it out with me with no problems. I just wonder why nobody does a leather case for the Black Label...

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #428 of 1,042
Thank you for describing differences between i3 and i4. I wondered how much of a distance can be noted against the more expensive brother since I was able to compare LCD-i3 only with my iSine 20 and the difference was only about 10-15%, maybe 20% at best in some areas. It is good to hear that this distance will be much higher vs i4.

I wouldn't call iDSD MBL almost as good as Hugo2. To my ears H2 was a significant step up in terms of overall clarity, definition and soundstage. I would call Burson Conductor v2+ almost as good, but MBL was a step down by 1-2 classes and with more grainy sound. Though all of them had the same organic-like foundations. XBass is a usefull feature with bass-shy headphones indeed and I've found it useful on phones like K240 DF.

Dec 25, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #429 of 1,042
My "trick" was to use it on a DAC with a "Bass Boost" feature, which is the iFi micro iDSD Black Label. This DAC is almost as good as the Hugo 2, costs 600€ and XBass makes all the difference for the LCD-i3/i4. Really powerful bass comes out of them now with no distortion. No more EQ needed besides XBass. Of course this is not exactly the best portable solution, but I've been taking it out with me with no problems. I just wonder why nobody does a leather case for the Black Label...

It's not just the bass that's a problem. The stock cable has a massive elevation between 1and 2k and a massive recession between 4 and 5k. This make things sound really hollow and shouty. The cable doesn't completly fix it, but what it does do is make it almost identical to the full size lcds which is exactly what I wanted. Put about -2 or 3db at the bump and about 4db at the recession, and it sounds perfect. It's to much work to start at the beginning.

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #431 of 1,042
I'm really blown away by these IEMs, the bass alone is incredible, i just have +6db for 32hz with cipher cable. It's not just that it hits hard and fast, the seperation between kick drums and bass guitars(more forward) is truly special.

Another thing is how well the frequency spectrum is balanced, like, there are no notes that make me turn volume down due to muddiness or harshness, I always want to go louder.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #432 of 1,042
In terms of separation and soundstage is yet to come the IEM that will come close to this performance at this price point. It's audio bliss at 999€.

Have been doing some more A/B with the LCD-i4, it was my final (and longer) comparison. and at this point I would say without any doubt that the LCD-i4 is much superior in any respect, it's like a 50% difference to my ears. I love the i3 but it's totally different league. I'm glad I've got them for 1500€, this IEM is yet to be explored with better DACs, cables, etc.

Dec 29, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #433 of 1,042
In terms of separation and soundstage is yet to come the IEM that will come close to this performance at this price point. It's audio bliss at 999€.

Have been doing some more A/B with the LCD-i4, it was my final (and longer) comparison. and at this point I would say without any doubt that the LCD-i4 is much superior in any respect, it's like a 50% difference to my ears. I love the i3 but it's totally different league. I'm glad I've got them for 1500€, this IEM is yet to be explored with better DACs, cables, etc.

Good to know, I will get a pair someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back