Introducing the LCD-i3
Dec 15, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #406 of 1,042
My only real experience from mid teir listening is with IE800s. Are any of you guys able to give any sort of comparison between the 2?

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #407 of 1,042
I believe Audeze has published the Reveal response but I can't recall where - either the iSine or i4 threads
You can see the exact Reveal response in Equalizer APO.

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #408 of 1,042
My only real experience from mid teir listening is with IE800s. Are any of you guys able to give any sort of comparison between the 2?
Different use cases. iSine / LCD-i for soundstage and fidelity, IE 800 / SE846 for isolation. All have outstanding sub-bass like a real subwoofer.

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #409 of 1,042
Can anyone tell me what the sub bass is like on the i3's please? I listen to EDM music in the main and was wondering if the i3 can deliver the level of deep low bass EDM music demands.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
The sub-bass is better then the SE846, which is saying something. You can crank it up on the Cipher cable and it doesn’t distort. I don’t believe other people’s claims of headphone sub-bass because my benchmark is a < 20 Hz home theater sub-woofer.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #410 of 1,042
i3 & i4 Lighting Cable in Red, BT Cable in Blue. iSine20 lightning cable has yet a different response.
No wonder the BT sounds so dark. Why in the heck would the treble be notched that dramatically? Wish we had control over its effect the way the wired cipher can be controlled.

Thanks for sharing. That is one hell of a set of measurements on the right. Wow. I love it! (Yes, I see only two were selected out of the huge list)

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #411 of 1,042
Has anyone used the parametric eq on the ios app for this? I just got mine and I want to know if its worth getting a ios device to use the app with the cither cable (I spoke with a audeze repp, and they said the settings you put into the cipher cable will cross over to whatever other device you plug it into to). I ask because I have not had very good results out of eq software mostly causing more problems than it solves. People have said they have managed to turn isines into complete bass monsters using it without any distortion or bleeding. Can you concur with this, or do you think they are exaggerating how much can be done to alter its fr?

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #412 of 1,042
if anyone's wondering about the difference between LCD-i3 and LCD-i4, I've just A/B'ed them and the difference is pretty noticeable. To give you an interesting perspective it's pretty much like the difference from a Chord Mojo to an Hugo 2. This comparison was made straight out of an iFi micro IDSD Black Label DAC. There are certain sounds and nuances that are masked on the LCD-i3, that play beautifuly on the LCD-i4. The experience is more immersive and of an higher level of fidelity. I, for one, am convinced and don't think it's a 10-15% difference as stated somewhere here in the forum. Anyways, the LCD-i3 is pretty damn good for th price. As I said once, it plays in the 1500€ league easily. The LCD-i4 is worth every cent and might very well be end game for most.

I have a $1000 balanced cable here waiting for a DAC/DAP that supports 2.5mm balanced. Am tempted to try a SONY ZX2, but unsure if it will be as good as the Black Label, which I doubt.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #413 of 1,042
if anyone's wondering about the difference between LCD-i3 and LCD-i4, I've just A/B'ed them and the difference is pretty noticeable. To give you an interesting perspective it's pretty much like the difference from a Chord Mojo to an Hugo 2. This comparison was made straight out of an iFi micro IDSD Black Label DAC. There are certain sounds and nuances that are masked on the LCD-i3, that play beautifuly on the LCD-i4. The experience is more immersive and of an higher level of fidelity. I, for one, am convinced and don't think it's a 10-15% difference as stated somewhere here in the forum. Anyways, the LCD-i3 is pretty damn good for th price. As I said once, it plays in the 1500€ league easily. The LCD-i4 is worth every cent and might very well be end game for most.

I have a $1000 balanced cable here waiting for a DAC/DAP that supports 2.5mm balanced. Am tempted to try a SONY ZX2, but unsure if it will be as good as the Black Label, which I doubt.
How do they differ in terms of soundstage depth and 3-D presentation?

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #415 of 1,042
There's slightly more depth and better imaging. 3D presentation is more engaging. But the main question here is fidelity. It's on another level. I can no longer vibrate from the LCD-i3 :)
I will have to give them a listen to know what you mean. But as far as depth and the body of objects in space, when I compare my i3 to my LCD-3, the LCD wins hands down.
So with that in mind, I doubt that the i4 can be viewed as "endgame".

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #417 of 1,042
I will have to give them a listen to know what you mean. But as far as depth and the body of objects in space, when I compare my i3 to my LCD-3, the LCD wins hands down.
So with that in mind, I doubt that the i4 can be viewed as "endgame".

Its ned game in a different way. While the lcd3 might sound larger than the i3, it still sounds like a headphone. If you close your eyes, you still get the sense that the drivers are producing the sound, and not the 'space' around you. The i3 sounds like music is coming from somewhere else, which gives it a way more immersive character, like you are part of the recording. I've yet to find a headphone that can accomplish that so well. If like me, you value that, then the i4 is most definitely your endgame.

Dec 20, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #418 of 1,042
I just received my LCD-i3 pair. While they sound phenomenal(huge upgrade from isine 10), the left driver has some crackling sound when inserting it into my ear or moving it a bit, nothing of the sort from the right driver. I read on their site that this is normal, but why does only one of mine do it? Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #419 of 1,042
Just for the record, since I am working on full in-depth review of LCD-i3, here is FR of my iSine 20 vs LCD-i3:

DHsYLWz.jpg

TL;DR: both very similar in SQ. i20 has more vivid presentation and better bass response. Vocals closer on i20. Soundstage width larger on i20, while depth is larger on i3. Highs smoother on i3, brighter on i20.

Also, you can mod your existing flat earhooks into offset ones that came with i3 by using heater and keeping the desired angle during heating process. That way you can achieve the same level of comfort on every other iSine model for free, without buying offset earhooks separately, although it is hard to see on image below:

HVNCD4q.jpg

Never the less, since I've upgraded my flat earhooks into offset earhooks, the comfort level raised about x3-x5 times. I can spend 6+ hours without feeling any major discomfort. Furhtermore, only i20 allows to use smaller tips without penality from less seal to achieve better monitoring and flat response. LCD-i3 and proper seal is a must have to achieve proper acoustics.

I just received my LCD-i3 pair. While they sound phenomenal(huge upgrade from isine 10), the left driver has some crackling sound when inserting it into my ear or moving it a bit, nothing of the sort from the right driver. I read on their site that this is normal, but why does only one of mine do it? Anyone else have this issue?

No, I haven't had such issues with both i3 and i20. The only thing I've noticed is buzzing from magnets when i3 are pressed against my ear canals. Something similar was on LCD-GX if I remember correctly. i20 = no issues.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #420 of 1,042
Its ned game in a different way. While the lcd3 might sound larger than the i3, it still sounds like a headphone. If you close your eyes, you still get the sense that the drivers are producing the sound, and not the 'space' around you. The i3 sounds like music is coming from somewhere else, which gives it a way more immersive character, like you are part of the recording. I've yet to find a headphone that can accomplish that so well. If like me, you value that, then the i4 is most definitely your endgame.
I know what you're saying, it's like the i3 has less distortion and is super smooth. But its presentation is a little too intimate for my taste. Like you said - you feel like part of the recording. I like to feel like I'm a few rows away from the action.
Also, while the i3 is very smooth, it just sometimes feels a little too smooth and "polite", where I want it to have just a bit more impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back