Introducing the LCD-i3
Mar 4, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #511 of 1,041
I've ordered the LCD I3 to pair with my Fiio M15

Looking forward to trying these after reading the reviews

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #512 of 1,041
Wow can you take a picture so that I can visualise this. I'm thinking of buying an i3 and working on a set up to go with it
I know waiting for replies can be annoying. Thanx for your patience. So, for audio superiority over a Cipher cable -- but understandably inferior from a standpoint of convenience -- my current DAC + AMP + DSP [E1DA PowerDAC V2] and compact source [FiiO M6] is the following...

20200304_141705.jpg

The above "short wiring" to the M6 is used only when I plan to mostly tuck the M6 away in a pack and control it remotely via the FiiO Music player w/FiiO Link on my Phone. (caveat being he FiiO Link is -very- limited in functionality tho, where most UI functions, like search, returns the function is not implemented yet when you click on it)

If I want the USB Audio streaming source to be my phone, or I plan to handle the M6 ... pictured below with USB-C female to male extension cable and my iSine iem w/2.5mm balanced cable. Purchase of the i3 is not a possibility for me but rather a certainty, eventually. This is exactly how I ran it when I test drove the i3 at CanJam NYC last month, and how I will run it when I want superior fidelity to one of the Cipher options. (Reminder, this amp pictured is balanced out only. And is warned to fail by the maker if you use a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapter).

20200304_143631.jpg

The Y adapter you see pictured was purchased from Amazon and is this:

41pUBthkdmL._AC_SY400_.jpg

I have an even smaller battery pack that will be 2/3 the one pictured arriving tomorrow. I will usually use that. Or will use the Anker picture powering the Kangaroo PC earlier when I want longer runlife. When I'm "on the go" I use one of these packs; which one depending on the battery I will use and whether I need room for more adapters and configuration options, and/or whether I will want to use the usb data extension cable and how long (I have multiple lengths) vs tucking the source away, and/or whether i want space to be able to store the iem in the pack when not in my ear.

Yes, the top two are dog treat packs! :D What's great about that kind is they have hard belt or pant or pocket clips for quick on/off, where tactical or fanny packs dont, usually having snap hoops for the belt only and are more of a pita to put on.

20200304_142215.jpg

And "why" am I in love with the E1DA PowerDAC V2 [PDV2] ?

It is controlled by this HPToy app from my phone (no volume knob btw, so this is mandatory if you want the source to operate in bit-perfect mode. Let alone want to make use of tone control and/or DSP/EQ; where the latter is mandatory to replace DSP EQ provided by the Cipher cable). With that said ironically I cut the volume slider off on this screen shot. So just be aware there is a volume slider at the top.

Screenshot_20200210-002053_HPToy.jpg

Ending with the pièce de résistance, I was able to save the EQ curve KMann made available here on Head-fi, use it as a background to the parametric EQ, rescaling X and Y dimension as required, then match the active EQ curve (thicker brighter line) to the target curve (lighter thinner line)!

Screenshot_20200209-235313_HPToy.jpg

It is suuuuper rare for me to say this. But I'm pretty damn happy and content! And best yet, the PDV2 amp featured cost only $80 off Amazon and $60 from the dealer in China (plus something like $16 for the Y adapter; dont hold me to that exact $, but something like that). :xf_eek:. Couldn't go wrong trying it if it didn't work out or sucked. The fact that it did work out and rocks is a rare treat. :D

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #513 of 1,041
I know waiting for replies can be annoying. Thanx for your patience. So, for audio superiority over a Cipher cable -- but understandably inferior from a standpoint of convenience -- my current DAC + AMP + DSP [E1DA PowerDAC V2] and compact source [FiiO M6] is the following...

20200304_141705.jpg

The above "short wiring" to the M6 is used only when I plan to mostly tuck the M6 away in a pack and control it remotely via the FiiO Music player w/FiiO Link on my Phone. (caveat being he FiiO Link is -very- limited in functionality tho, where most UI functions, like search, returns the function is not implemented yet when you click on it)

If I want the USB Audio streaming source to be my phone, or I plan to handle the M6 ... pictured below with USB-C female to male extension cable and my iSine iem w/2.5mm balanced cable. Purchase of the i3 is not a possibility for me but rather a certainty, eventually. This is exactly how I ran it when I test drove the i3 at CanJam NYC last month, and how I will run it when I want superior fidelity to one of the Cipher options. (Reminder, this amp pictured is balanced out only. And is warned to fail by the maker if you use a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapter).

20200304_143631.jpg

The Y adapter you see pictured was purchased from Amazon and is this:

41pUBthkdmL._AC_SY400_.jpg

I have an even smaller battery pack that will be 2/3 the one pictured arriving tomorrow. I will usually use that. Or will use the Anker picture powering the Kangaroo PC earlier when I want longer runlife. When I'm "on the go" I use one of these packs; which one depending on the battery I will use and whether I need room for more adapters and configuration options, and/or whether I will want to use the usb data extension cable and how long (I have multiple lengths) vs tucking the source away, and/or whether i want space to be able to store the iem in the pack when not in my ear.

Yes, the top two are dog treat packs! :D What's great about that kind is they have hard belt or pant or pocket clips for quick on/off, where tactical or fanny packs dont, usually having snap hoops for the belt only and are more of a pita to put on.

20200304_142215.jpg

And "why" am I in love with the E1DA PowerDAC V2 [PDV2] ?

It is controlled by this HPToy app from my phone (no volume knob btw, so this is mandatory if you want the source to operate in bit-perfect mode. Let alone want to make use of tone control and/or DSP/EQ; where the latter is mandatory to replace DSP EQ provided by the Cipher cable). With that said ironically I cut the volume slider off on this screen shot. So just be aware there is a volume slider at the top.

Screenshot_20200210-002053_HPToy.jpg

Ending with the pièce de résistance, I was able to save the EQ curve KMann made available here on Head-fi, use it as a background to the parametric EQ, rescaling X and Y dimension as required, then match the active EQ curve (dark line) to the target curve (light thinner line)!

Screenshot_20200209-235313_HPToy.jpg

It is suuuuper rare for me to say this. But I'm pretty damn happy and content! And best yet, the PDV2 amp featured cost only $80 off Amazon and $60 from the dealer in China (plus something like $16 for the Y adapter; dont hold me to that exact $, but something like that). :xf_eek:. Couldn't go wrong trying it if it didn't work out or sucked. The fact that it did work out and rocks is a rare treat. :D
Hi thanks for the in depth and very helpful reply. Do you have a link for that y cable? Trying to find one on Amazon UK!

Mar 4, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #514 of 1,041
Mar 4, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #515 of 1,041
Mar 4, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #516 of 1,041
Thanks mate. Ordered! I think I may order the audeze lcd i3 too. Do you think they'll be good for lots of genres from jazz, hip hop, rock to EDM?
Best for an actual i3 owner to answer this. But as far as the lesser iSine 20 goes I find my iSine to do great with everything I throw at it. As does my friend I talked into buying an iSine10 last year. It's now the only IEM I use when on the go (I have only a 1/2 dozen others, all inexpensive tho; I wasnt very into iems before this). And I use it when sitting around in-home quite often now too instead of the over ears you see listed in my post signature.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #517 of 1,041
Sorry to jump in here, but I was wondering if anyone’s compared the lcdi3s to any full sized Audeze headphones. Which full-sized are they most like? I’ve had the i3s for about a month now and I’m astonished by them.
I'd be very interested in this as well. Also, how is the fit working for you? Do the new ear fins work well for you?

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #518 of 1,041
LCD I3 arrived this morning

Straight out of the box using Bluetooth cable with Qobus is very impressive, easy to match and nice sound quality.

Going to pair with the M15 later.
Bluetooth module is very handy as I get the new Samsung S20 ultra next week which has no 3.5mm connection.

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #519 of 1,041
When choosing tips do people tend to go for the ones that create a tight fit in the lobe?

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #520 of 1,041
Excellent customer service from Audeze

My box was minus the small earfins, couple of emails and they are being sent to me.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #521 of 1,041
Best for an actual i3 owner to answer this. But as far as the lesser iSine 20 goes I find my iSine to do great with everything I throw at it. As does my friend I talked into buying an iSine10 last year. It's now the only IEM I use when on the go (I have only a 1/2 dozen others, all inexpensive tho; I wasnt very into iems before this). And I use it when sitting around in-home quite often now too instead of the over ears you see listed in my post signature.
Thanks, I'm going to order the i3. What portable power pack have you found to be good?

Mar 8, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #524 of 1,041
What portable power pack have you found to be good?
All a matter of how much playback time / charge capacity you want, form factor / size, number of usb outputs, max watts out, w/ bi-direction usb-c or just micro usb-b charge in. Favorites are Anker and nrgGo. The rest is based on the use case. (I have a 19600 mAh battery pack but it's so heavy and huge I never use it for walk-around and use a 5000 or 10000 one instead)

Newest favorite is:
https://www.nrggo.com/PDP-5000-Power-Bank

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #525 of 1,041
You have to hear them through a better cable and DAC.I really like the Monoprice thx aaa portable. I do the eq through that..With the PW Audio no.10 cable. HUGE difference over the Cipher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back