Introducing the HIFIMAN HE-R9!
Dec 18, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #331 of 342
Both of them tryin to change the way HE-R9 is designed. Lows are not that punchy when i'm tryin to fix muddy mids and vocal. I'm pretty sure good dac could do somethin about it. Reason?
When i pair R9 with Creative E5 and turn on Scout mode which is designed to boost sound in FPS games R9 sounds almost same as my Audio Technica ath-m50x. It's not what i wanna hear ofc :frowning2:
I'm tryin to stay with aweome stage and separation which is best i experienced out of box and keep those amazing punchy lows.

Testing with Tidal MQA or Flac tracks and some games as well.

Just checked Fiio KA5 but it lacks MQA support sadly. I'm listening music mostly from Tidal.

My kiddo can't stop listen Van Halen - Jump with these :wink:
IMG_20231215_155158.jpg
Jump surely puts a smile on pretty much everyone’s face

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #332 of 342
After much research on Closed back headphones for travel purposes, I decided to buy the HIFIMAN HE R 9 wired off ebay (Hifimanofficial) for USD 109+plus shipping+Duties to India
Received them 2 days ago & burned them in for around 20 hours. Most users of this either completely like it or dislike it
I fall into the former category
Really loving the sound... just so much fun that I played a lot of 80s rock & thrash all over again. Build quality is OK but it doesnt look like anything's going to fall apart soon
Large cups are cavernous enough to give a sense of space. Yes, it does have a warm signature
For the price, I think they are worth it

Feb 5, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #333 of 342
After much research on Closed back headphones for travel purposes, I decided to buy the HIFIMAN HE R 9 wired off ebay (Hifimanofficial) for USD 109+plus shipping+Duties to India
Received them 2 days ago & burned them in for around 20 hours. Most users of this either completely like it or dislike it
I fall into the former category
Really loving the sound... just so much fun that I played a lot of 80s rock & thrash all over again. Build quality is OK but it doesnt look like anything's going to fall apart soon
Large cups are cavernous enough to give a sense of space. Yes, it does have a warm signature
For the price, I think they are worth it

It's indeed a different headphone and not for everyone. However, I find it refreshing that headphones are still made that doesn't meet the Harman curve :)

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #335 of 342
I have to say...after owning these for a few days, and not having much hope of them sounding good I must say I'm pleasantly surprised.... but only after - 3.0 db on bass frequencys from 25hz to 400hz. And a slight treble boost. The mid cloud is gone and the width is good. Not bad for a $100 headphone 😁

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #336 of 342
I have to say...after owning these for a few days, and not having much hope of them sounding good I must say I'm pleasantly surprised.... but only after - 3.0 db on bass frequencys from 25hz to 400hz. And a slight treble boost. The mid cloud is gone and the width is good. Not bad for a $100 headphone 😁
Sounds like good EQ settings. 👍

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #337 of 342
At a $109, I had to buy a spare :sweat_smile:

DSC_0397.JPG

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #338 of 342
My brother loved mine so much -- and he's not an audiophile, he just likes loud and wireless with "good" clarity -- that I had to give mine to him. I bought mine when they were $439 for the wireless SKU, which was still a good deal, and now I picked up a second hand set for less than $200 to replace the ones I gave away. Really solid for what they are.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #339 of 342
HIFIMAN HE R9 has been a total 'disruptor' for me due to its lightweight construction, sound signature, pricing etc.... haven't played any other HP from my collection since its arrival
I want to explore more Closed Backs. Any recommendations for a wooden Closed Back HP?... in the past I have had a Fostex TH X00. ES Labs R10 looks very tempting

Feb 10, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #340 of 342
HIFIMAN HE R9 has been a total 'disruptor' for me due to its lightweight construction, sound signature, pricing etc.... haven't played any other HP from my collection since its arrival
I want to explore more Closed Backs. Any recommendations for a wooden Closed Back HP?... in the past I have had a Fostex TH X00. ES Labs R10 looks very tempting
If you want something that is the opposite of the R9 but still sounds wonderful get the Tago Studio T3-01. Its mid forward and has a wonderful sense of space and generally sounds so good. The only issue would be the stock cable on the T3-01 sucks and I rec that you get a balanced cable. For some reason the Single ended sounds so stuffy.

Oh yeah kind of off topic but how do you get forstex to have the same level of slam as the R9. I tried the 909 awhile back but was very disapointed at how tame it sounded.

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #341 of 342
Thanks for the recommendation.. Will check Tago Studio T3-01
Regarding the Fostex, I didnt try any EQ settings with it but tried ZMF Earpads. Result was the bass impact was reduced a bit. If I remember correctly, Fostex seemed a little faster but not sure if it had the holographic sound & soundstage of the R9. Build quality was a tad better I would say

Users who are viewing this thread

Back