Introducing the HIFIMAN HE-R9!
Oct 16, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #303 of 342
I've done a simple mod to the R9 now. I lined the interior of the cups with foam. Easy to do and reverse, since it just uses double stick tape. The result is a minimal improvement. I can listen to them with the foam mod without EQ, as the boominess is diminished, but there is just too much missing. Using EQ is a better solution.

Going back and forth between my CAL! and the R9 shows the differences pretty clearly, especially in vocals.

Working on wooden cups now. We'll see if that helps, but I have serious doubts. These may be a lost cause.

Oct 18, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #304 of 342
I'm pleasantly surprised. My wood cup mod has worked far better than I could have hoped. I went through the same playlist and everything sounds better, and the boomy sound that was plaguing this set has vanished.

Since I didn't like the original tuning, I didn't attempt to copy the angled opening behind the drivers. This changes the sound of course, and the wood may have had a slight impact, but the main difference, I believe, is the fact that the cups don't seal tight against the driver housing. There is a lip there, where the original cups fit perfectly and made the R9 a closed back set. With my wooden cups, there is a slight gap, and my set is now a semi-open headphone. More air seems to help this driver.

Bass is diminished a little, and there is far less isolation. Weight is another negative change, since the wood cups are more than twice as heavy, but I'll take those in return for better sound. The R9 now reminds me of my CAL! or my old TH-X00 a bit, but it's been too long since I've heard the Fostex to make accurate comparisons.

Not all is perfect. No Time for Caution is still less than spectacular, so this thing could be tuned a little better. Why so Serious has some real impact though.

I think I'll make a post in the DIY subforum with a picture of the wooden cups on the R9.

Oct 18, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #305 of 342
I'm pleasantly surprised. My wood cup mod has worked far better than I could have hoped. I went through the same playlist and everything sounds better, and the boomy sound that was plaguing this set has vanished.

Since I didn't like the original tuning, I didn't attempt to copy the angled opening behind the drivers. This changes the sound of course, and the wood may have had a slight impact, but the main difference, I believe, is the fact that the cups don't seal tight against the driver housing. There is a lip there, where the original cups fit perfectly and made the R9 a closed back set. With my wooden cups, there is a slight gap, and my set is now a semi-open headphone. More air seems to help this driver.

Bass is diminished a little, and there is far less isolation. Weight is another negative change, since the wood cups are more than twice as heavy, but I'll take those in return for better sound. The R9 now reminds me of my CAL! or my old TH-X00 a bit, but it's been too long since I've heard the Fostex to make accurate comparisons.

Not all is perfect. No Time for Caution is still less than spectacular, so this thing could be tuned a little better. Why so Serious has some real impact though.

I think I'll make a post in the DIY subforum with a picture of the wooden cups on the R9.
Are you building poor man's R10 LOL jk.

Otherwise looking forward to pictures! :relaxed::thumbsup:

Oct 25, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #307 of 342
Bought these when they hit $200. Like them, the bass works great for gaming.
However, these are very picky on amps. The right amp makes the bass nice and sharp. The wrong amp and it's farty sounding

Oct 28, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #309 of 342
R9 or Sundara closed?
Sundara Closed for me, overall -- more detail, closer to neutral frequency response. The R9 is a deliciously fun sonic treat, though, bassy -- just not as good of an "all arounder" -- so, it honestly depends on what you are looking for.

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #310 of 342
Got these on their clearance sale for under $100, and I have to say they are the most wildly inconsistent headphones I've ever listened to. They range from fun to outright terrible given the music genre and song. I've loved HifiMan for years, but what they were selling the R9 at launch is borderline offensive. They feel kind of cheap too. Not here to bash, just kinda left scratching my head on this one. Definitely a black sheep of their lineup. Either way I'll keep them as a good basshead headphone for Trap and EDM. Maybe they will get better with some burn-in.

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #311 of 342
Got these on their clearance sale for under $100, and I have to say they are the most wildly inconsistent headphones I've ever listened to. They range from fun to outright terrible given the music genre and song. I've loved HifiMan for years, but what they were selling the R9 at launch is borderline offensive. They feel kind of cheap too. Not here to bash, just kinda left scratching my head on this one. Definitely a black sheep of their lineup. Either way I'll keep them as a good basshead headphone for Trap and EDM. Maybe they will get better with some burn-in.
You might want to try some EQ. I found it helped a little.

But my solution of replacing the cups worked much better. They are no longer basshead cans with my mod, but even I have to admit it was an extreme step to take. Hifiman's original tuning is just awful.

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #312 of 342
You might want to try some EQ. I found it helped a little.

But my solution of replacing the cups worked much better. They are no longer basshead cans with my mod, but even I have to admit it was an extreme step to take. Hifiman's original tuning is just awful.
Funny, I was just looking at your modded cups post, nice work! How is the sound leakage on them? Are you considering making more to sell? I was also wondering if anyone has tried to put the closed back Sundara cups on these to just to see if it works?

Nov 3, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #313 of 342
Funny, I was just looking at your modded cups post, nice work! How is the sound leakage on them? Are you considering making more to sell? I was also wondering if anyone has tried to put the closed back Sundara cups on these to just to see if it works?
Sound leakage is quite a lot, actually. Almost the level of an open back.

I'm not going to make more cups. I don't think I'm at the level of precision necessary for that job, especially if I'm making them for someone else. The original cups are 104mm in diameter, and the edge thickness would have to be about 8-9mm where the screws go in. You might be able to find pre-made cups that size, though I suspect finding any that thick at the bottom could be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back