Introducing the HIFIMAN HE-R9!
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #316 of 342
What amps have you used?
Fiio K9 pro AKM and iBasso DX314. Honestly besides the lack microdetail/texture I really like it. Maybe another issue is that the bass is too well behaved/dry for the level of boost it has. That being said this is a slamheads wet dream. The saperation and imaging on the R9 is so good as well.

If anything a dry and precise DAC+a dry tube amp(currently using the musical paradise mp301 with Shuguang KT88 and RCA 6SJ7 red) streches out the sound and makes it sound very natural.

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #317 of 342
What amps have you used?
I agree with the Amp matching, my first impressions on the Hifiman EF400 were not satisfactory - couldn't actually understand what Hifiman was going for with the sound signature. Using the good old rhead driven from the Argon streamer has made things a lot better, I'm kinda liking it :wink:

Nov 13, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #319 of 342
Definitely a synergy issue, some tracks sounded really great and others were just not right! I had the impression that on certain tracks the mids were just sucked-in and the bass too bloated. On the rhead the bass is well controlled and the overall presentation quite enjoyable. Neutral and slightly lean amps in general seem to be the best partner for the R9. I have just had brief encounters with the Fostex/Drop TH series in the past, remember them sounding very similar to the R9.

Nov 13, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #320 of 342
EF400 doesn't drive R9 well? Or is it just a synergy issue?

I've been on the fence forever about getting EF400 for TH900, and I'd imagine TH900 would have similar sound signature to R9 probably.

The TH-900 isn't anything like the r9 except for the thunderous bass. The Fostex is V shaped and much more controlled. R9 has mellow highs and thicker mids.

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #321 of 342
I picked up a pair of these for $109 and wow - they are strange! So much bass. Exactly what I was wanting as a different sound signature to my LCD-X/THX-789 setup.

The EQ settings earlier in the thread go a long way to make these sound better while retaining their fun character. I am running them with my Eufonika H5 OTL amp which pairs quite well. In fact, I like this pairing more than the amp with the 6xx.

I will keep these in the mix for electronic music and action movies.

I also love that they are so light and comfortable.

IMG_0297.jpeg

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #322 of 342
Ordered mine few weeks ago and i'm havin problem with synergy.

Tried to pair HE-R9 with Creative E5 and AiM SC808 but no luck . EQ settings from few post earlier are far from good .

Paid around 130$ and would be great to find somethin in similar price .

Could u help me find budget DAC / Dongle ?

I don't wanna change how fun these headphones are . Just wanna give them somethin good to play with.

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #323 of 342

Tried to pair HE-R9 with Creative E5 and AiM SC808 but no luck . EQ settings from few post earlier are far from good .

I don't wanna change how fun these headphones are . Just wanna give them somethin good to play with.
My BTR5 drives these well. It is inexpensive and pretty capable.

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #324 of 342

If you dont mind whats the issue? Too smeary?

Personally I use it with the Fiio KA5 with a balanced cable and find it good. Its much better with the K9 pro but thats way overbudget.

A dongle I would avoid for the R9 is the moonriver Ti, while its a very nice dongle it doesnt have enough saperation to make the R9 sound good.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #325 of 342
If you dont mind whats the issue? Too smeary?

Personally I use it with the Fiio KA5 with a balanced cable and find it good. Its much better with the K9 pro but thats way overbudget.

A dongle I would avoid for the R9 is the moonriver Ti, while its a very nice dongle it doesnt have enough saperation to make the R9 sound good.
Both of them tryin to change the way HE-R9 is designed. Lows are not that punchy when i'm tryin to fix muddy mids and vocal. I'm pretty sure good dac could do somethin about it. Reason?
When i pair R9 with Creative E5 and turn on Scout mode which is designed to boost sound in FPS games R9 sounds almost same as my Audio Technica ath-m50x. It's not what i wanna hear ofc :frowning2:
I'm tryin to stay with aweome stage and separation which is best i experienced out of box and keep those amazing punchy lows.

Testing with Tidal MQA or Flac tracks and some games as well.

Just checked Fiio KA5 but it lacks MQA support sadly. I'm listening music mostly from Tidal.

My kiddo can't stop listen Van Halen - Jump with these :wink:
IMG_20231215_155158.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #326 of 342
@zyglarz the only DAC/amp that is within the price range that has MQA support is the ifi uno. Not sure about the sound since its using ESS instead of the usual BurrBrown. While I would say away form ifi for the R9 since its using ESS maybe its possible thats its compatable. Either way try to get form somewhere with a good return policy?

Unless you wanna good all the way to 500usd then I can rec the smsl m500mk3

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #330 of 342
I picked up a pair of these for $109 and wow - they are strange! So much bass. Exactly what I was wanting as a different sound signature to my LCD-X/THX-789 setup.

The EQ settings earlier in the thread go a long way to make these sound better while retaining their fun character. I am running them with my Eufonika H5 OTL amp which pairs quite well. In fact, I like this pairing more than the amp with the 6xx.

I will keep these in the mix for electronic music and action movies.

I also love that they are so light and comfortable.

Got these on their clearance sale for under $100, and I have to say they are the most wildly inconsistent headphones I've ever listened to. They range from fun to outright terrible given the music genre and song. I've loved HifiMan for years, but what they were selling the R9 at launch is borderline offensive. They feel kind of cheap too. Not here to bash, just kinda left scratching my head on this one. Definitely a black sheep of their lineup. Either way I'll keep them as a good basshead headphone for Trap and EDM. Maybe they will get better with some burn-in.
I'm with you - odd duck. Currently playing these with some EQ on tubes and listening to Radiohead and they are pretty damn fun. Surprisingly capable for this music. The bass response (which I have toned down) helps, but the midrange sounds natural and there is good separation. I will go out on a limb and say that I think this is the best $100 headphone headphones I have heard with EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back