Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Sep 1, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #271 of 777
Well, it should be, it is an R2R DAC that when implemented correctly it is more analogue sounding than d/S chips of the same category.
Still the K9 PRO ESS is more technical and not that artificial so some people might prefer it.
It is good to have options.
Well… I prefer it!
If I had to to stick with only one I would surely keep the K9 pro.
More versatile genre wise and generally a better fit for my preferred genre (which tend not to be vocal focused).

Of course I don’t need much power for my cans, and I paid the k9 pro around 25% more compared to the ef400. So that has to be considered.

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #272 of 777
Does anyone happen to know how the characteristics of the EF400 would pair with the likes of the He1000 V2 (and SE)?
The V2, to my understanding and just from reading about it, is more laid back and warm than the detail and treble-forward SE. Solely from reading about the difference between the two, I imagine that I would prefer the V2.

The EF400 seems like a great pick for an all-in-one combo and pairing with the V2's power wise, but with both having a warmer signature, do you think I should go for something more neutral for my DAC/AMP pairing?
Any update on your amp? What did you end up getting? Currently on the same boat

Sep 6, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #273 of 777
I have not said that the EF400 sounds better than the Soloist. The Soloist sounds slightly better, this small difference would be ok for me, because the EF400 is way cheaper and would be enough for me for daily business.

Distortion is just for the ASR fanboys a bad thing. Most of the time it is on purpose. I can just repeat, at the end you do not listen to superb messurements, you are listen to the music. And the goal is to enjoy the music. If a dead neutral and boring DAC/Amp is what you enjoy the most, fine. If you enjoy terrible measuring tube amps, fine as well.

I owned (or were lent to me) more than 20 amps the last 3 years. Even top notch measuring amps like the ADI-2 DAC, THX 789, THX 887, Pro iCan, SA-1, Atom, A90, A90D, L50 etc. but end the end, the Soloist 3XP is the best for me :wink: What does this say? Messurements are useless.
Hey Terrorsandmann,

I currently own a IFi Micro iDSD Signature and have freshly bought an Arya Stealth. Do you think it is worth jumping on the EF400 or will the iFi be enough to get the full potential of the Arya Stealth?

Sep 6, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #274 of 777
Hey Terrorsandmann,

I currently own a IFi Micro iDSD Signature and have freshly bought an Arya Stealth. Do you think it is worth jumping on the EF400 or will the iFi be enough to get the full potential of the Arya Stealth?
It's definitely better AMP compared to any portable, and even better AMP than Topping A30 Pro I had recently. Most important EF400 pairs well with Arya.

Sep 6, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #275 of 777
I second this… I paired it with the Arya and it sounded great. I have no doubt this will outperform an iFi portable as long as you are ok with the nature of a R2R DAC.

Sep 6, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #276 of 777
Thank you very much for your responses guys. I have placed an order on the EF400 :)

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #277 of 777
Hey Terrorsandmann,

2 years ago, I had a micro iDSD Signature (I was one of the first persons in the EU who had a Signature) with an Arya V2 and I loved it. A really good match and mobile as well. But the EF400 is just better if you do not need features like XBass or MQA (but the Signature has just a Renderer, and not a Full Decoder).
I would prefer the EF400 over the Signature, if you just use it as a desktop device.

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #278 of 777
Update regarding the Susvara.
It drives them really well, no need to reach more than half of available volume range and it sounds good too!
IMG_20220906_233041.jpg

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #280 of 777
Hey guys, been contemplating. What amp/dac to get for the he1000 v2.

Choices are the ef400 (500 usd bnew) and soloist (750 -800 used) is it worth the additional 250-300 usd for me to justify the soloist or would I be fine w the ef400?

During my review of the EF400, I owned a Topping D90SE + Burson Soloist 3XP with a HE1000V2. Yes, if you are focused and if you compare it 1:1, the EF400 is not exactly where the stack performs. But if the budget is important for you (and if you do not need a pre-amp), the EF400 is the better choise. I was really surprised how good the EF400 is for just 600€. But I use a pair of active speakers and therefore the EF400 was no option for me. If I would be a headphone only user, I would have switched from the D90SE/Soloist stack to the EF400 and would have a lot of money more in my pocket.

But keep in mind (since you compare just the Soloist with the EF400), that you can not use the EF400 as headphone amp only. DAC only yes, but it is not possible to use the EF400 just as a headphone amp. If you will chose the Soloist, you would need a DAC as well (extra costs).

My review of the EF400 can be seen here: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/hifiman-ef400-balanced-r2r-dac-kopfhörerverstärker-eierlegende-wollmilchsau-für-599€.1321343/
(you would need to activate the auto-translation in your browser, because the review is in german)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #281 of 777
During my review of the EF400, I owned a Topping D90SE + Burson Soloist 3XP with a HE1000V2. Yes, if you are focused and if you compare it 1:1, the EF400 is not exactly where the stack performs. But if the budget is important for you (and if you do not need a pre-amp), the EF400 is the better choise. I was really suprised how good the EF400 is for just 600€. But I use a pair of active speakers and therefore the EF400 was no option for me. If I would be a headphone only user, I would have switched from the D90SE/Soloist stack to the EF400 and would have a lot of money more in my pocket.

But keep in mind (since you compare just the Soloist with the EF400), that you can not use the EF400 as headphone amp only. DAC only yes, but it is not possible to use the EF400 just as a headphone amp. If you will chose the Soloist, you would need a DAC as well (extra costs).

My review of the EF400 can be seen here: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/hifiman-ef400-balanced-r2r-dac-kopfhörerverstärker-eierlegende-wollmilchsau-für-599€.1321343/
(you would need to activate the auto-translation in your browser, because the review is in german)
Thank you for this. I’m only on headphones as of now so i think ef400 should be fine.

Yes if ever i do go for the soloist it’ll be with a zen dac (till i have enough money again for an upgrade) . I just really cant justify additional 250 usd for it

Sep 7, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #282 of 777
Thank you for this. I’m only on headphones as of now so i think ef400 should be fine.

Yes if ever i do go for the soloist it’ll be with a zen dac (till i have enough money again for an upgrade) . I just really cant justify additional 250 usd for it
I think if you do not have that much money available (or willing to spend), the EF400 is the better option for you.

Sep 8, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #283 of 777
Can anyone share their thoughts on the difference between using the Single ended vs Balanced Headphone outs? I notice a significant drop in sonic performance when going from 4.4/XLR to 6.35/3.5mm

Sep 9, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #284 of 777
Can anyone share their thoughts on the difference between using the Single ended vs Balanced Headphone outs? I notice a significant drop in sonic performance when going from 4.4/XLR to 6.35/3.5mm
The difference is significant with HD6XX and especially LCD2C which never sounded this better to me. The sound is more dynamic, bass is tighter and hits harder. Balanced is all the way for me.

Sep 9, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #285 of 777

The difference is significant with HD6XX and especially LCD2C which never sounded this better to me. The sound is more dynamic, bass is tighter and hits harder. Balanced is all the way for me.
Agreed, balanced has better sound performance by a fair margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back