Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Aug 26, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #256 of 776
Thank you very much @Terr0rSandmann for the time you took with your reply.

I guess I'm going to pull the trigger then. I do actually feel like you do, where stuff that measure well just sound boring and sterile to me.

Aug 28, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #257 of 776
Started getting loud popping noises from my headphones when using the NOS settings. Saw this thread and Hifiman suggested that the issue could be resolved by powering the unit off and back on again. This worked sometimes but now it never works. It shouldn't be a USB issue I would think since the popping noises do not happen on the OS settings.

Hifiman also suggested that the EF400 was sensitive to power, so I checked where I had the EF400 plugged into, just some old crappy power strip. I unplugged it and plugged it into a (cheap) Furman power conditioner and now have no issues, no popping sounds at all. Just thought I'd leave this behind in case it helps somebody else.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #258 of 776
The EF400 arrived.

First impressions are pretty positive, compared to my k9 pro seems like way smoother and organic. Bass is stronger.

It’s also way more powerful… with my arya se i have to keep to knob like at 9-10.

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #260 of 776
So i listen some more hours and made a little a/b testing between the EF400 and my FiiO K9 Pro.

I was probably expecting something different, as the EF felt way sharper and somewhat V shaped compared to the FiiO, which present the sound in a more soft and wall-like form. Plus I'm used to it and I actually still thinks it's a pretty good device.

I was a bit underwhelmed at first.

Then I started to understand what the EF400 was giving me: not the same (but better) experience as the FiiO (which was what I probably unconsciously expected). Just a different, more detailed and powerful presentation. The difference is quite strong.

I can see this driving heavy demanding HP, as it makes my Arya SE loud at 15-20% of the knob turn.

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #261 of 776
So i listen some more hours and made a little a/b testing between the EF400 and my FiiO K9 Pro.

I was probably expecting something different, as the EF felt way sharper and somewhat V shaped compared to the FiiO, which present the sound in a more soft and wall-like form. Plus I'm used to it and I actually still thinks it's a pretty good device.

I was a bit underwhelmed at first.

Then I started to understand what the EF400 was giving me: not the same (but better) experience as the FiiO (which was what I probably unconsciously expected). Just a different, more detailed and powerful presentation. The difference is quite strong.

I can see this driving heavy demanding HP, as it makes my Arya SE loud at 15-20% of the knob turn.
Interesting. Ef400 is more detailed in terms of resolution compared to K9 pro? I thought that delta sigma will be in general winning in detail presentation while less musical (or less textured).

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #262 of 776
Interesting. Ef400 is more detailed in terms of resolution compared to K9 pro? I thought that delta sigma will be in general winning in detail presentation while less musical (or less textured).
Positive.

I can give a couple of example:

In this track, the EF brings out more spark in the piano notes. The most difference his in the singer voice: I could hear better the nuances of his "cracking" falsetto, the fact that he is not very stable and firm with the end of his notes.
With the FiiO the presentation is more balanced, the voice and the piano notes feels closer to each other, like they are put together. It's like with the EF the piano is 5 meters from me, while the singer is 1m from me.

Here the voice of Mikael Åkerfeldt is also forward, the high pitch of guitars is forward and in general it all feels quite more v-shaped. At the same 70dB peak volume the EF400 was almost loud enough, while the FiiO could have been louder before fatiguing me.

In this ballad the harmonization of the verse (the higher pitched one) is quite more forward and accentuated on the EF400. In general, when the bass and the drums kicks in, they are stronger. This track on the FiiO is way more blend together, less peaks.

In the chorus of this one the harmonization from Nineth Tayed is impressively more clear and forward. You can hear that it's there on the FiiO, but you can't actually listen to the nuances. On the EF400 you do hear when it start and it ends, you hear the attack, you hear her vibrato on the last part. All clear and forward.

On this amazing new track from Porcupine Tree, the chainsaw-motorbike sound that starts at around 5:00 in the background is perceivable earlier and stronger with the EF400.

All this testing was made with apple music from my MBA M1 and HifiMan Arya Stealth with a custom made modular balanced cable from CXNNECTED.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #263 of 776
Positive.

I can give a couple of example:

In this track, the EF brings out more spark in the piano notes. The most difference his in the singer voice: I could hear better the nuances of his "cracking" falsetto, the fact that he is not very stable and firm with the end of his notes.
With the FiiO the presentation is more balanced, the voice and the piano notes feels closer to each other, like they are put together. It's like with the EF the piano is 5 meters from me, while the singer is 1m from me.

Here the voice of Mikael Åkerfeldt is also forward, the high pitch of guitars is forward and in general it all feels quite more v-shaped. At the same 70dB peak volume the EF400 was almost loud enough, while the FiiO could have been louder before fatiguing me.

In this ballad the harmonization of the verse (the higher pitched one) is quite more forward and accentuated on the EF400. In general, when the bass and the drums kicks in, they are stronger. This track on the FiiO is way more blend together, less peaks.

In the chorus of this one the harmonization from Nineth Tayed is impressively more clear and forward. You can hear that it's there on the FiiO, but you can't actually listen to the nuances. On the EF400 you do hear when it start and it ends, you hear the attack, you hear her vibrato on the last part. All clear and forward.

On this amazing new track from Porcupine Tree, the chainsaw-motorbike sound that starts at around 5:00 in the background is perceivable earlier and stronger with the EF400.

All this testing was made with apple music from my MBA M1 and HifiMan Arya Stealth with a custom made modular balanced cable from CXNNECTED.

Amazing. I am also a fan of all the bands that you have referenced. Is yours ess or akm version K9?

Aug 29, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #264 of 776
Aug 29, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #266 of 776
Just a noob question so i hope i wont get bashed for this, is there any benefit/advantage in using the usb type B input vs the usb type C (or vice versa)? Was wondering which u guys are using when connecting to your devices (pc, mobile, daps, etc)

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #267 of 776
Just a noob question so i hope i wont get bashed for this, is there any benefit/advantage in using the usb type B input vs the usb type C (or vice versa)? Was wondering which u guys are using when connecting to your devices (pc, mobile, daps, etc)
Sorry bout this.. Ya'll can ignore this now.. Just saw an answer just a page back and seems confirmed that there aren't really any difference.
Now might jst snag that ddhifi tc09ba cable.. :)

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #268 of 776
Sorry bout this.. Ya'll can ignore this now.. Just saw an answer just a page back and seems confirmed that there aren't really any difference.
Now might jst snag that ddhifi tc09ba cable.. :)
I've been eyeing that cable to, apparently there is better sound quality when using it because of separate power and data. Not sure if there will be a benefit to EF400 but I read it improves sound from dongle DACs.

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #269 of 776
The K9 PRO ESS has more detailed presentation than the EF400.
I can't speak for the ESS K9 Pro, but surely the AKM has a rounded and smooth sound. Not that it's not detailed, it surely is, but the soundscape is like submerging in a dense liquid which surround you in a very silky and pleasant way.

The EF400 on the other hand is like a muscle car (compared to the K9 AKM). It gives you more vibrant, powerful presentation. Less comfy and soft.
The mid-range, especially the high pitched voices (and piano, synths, etc) are forward and more accentuated, with the treble being also a bit forward.

Of course these are not huge differences, but since I'm very accustomed to the K9 I can tell the difference pretty easily. It feels like the EF400 really is more analog than the K9, which give you the perception of a perfect (but, since perfection is not possibile in nature, somehow fake) reproduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

• dstu
Back