Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Mar 3, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #32 of 776
@TeamHiFiMAN, any estimates for when in March this will hit the HiFiMAN store or dealers? I saw the HM800 was up, but excited to check this one out.
It is estimated to be available at the end of March

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Mar 10, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #35 of 776
What formats are excepted?
44/16, 24/192, DSD512?

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #36 of 776
How did they sound? Compared to THX-AAA amps?
Sorry I never heard a THX-AAA. I can say the build and ease of use was impeccable. Sound wise compared to a Sony TA-Zh1es, Chord TT2, and Questyle cma12 the Ef400 was warmer than all those amp/DACs - it’s low end seemed as elevated as the TA-Z1hes with a more relaxed treble and upper mids. It’s detail, dynamics and sound stage was well below all those amps. However the uniqueness of the R2R DAC section impressed me most by delivering a very unique bass rendering. I couldn’t quite grasp what made it so different, but I loved it. Looking for something unique to complement my TA-Z1hes, I plan to buy it day one to further analyze what makes the EF400 so special.

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #37 of 776
I just saw it on fb post and would have jumped on it with the loyal customer coupon but need more insight; how well implemented and competitive is the dac part etc. I have smsl sp400 so amp is not that important, though if it's better, I might sell the unit. EF400s direct competitor should be Jotunheim 2 with multibit card.

Is the loyal customer discount coupon for pre-order only?

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #38 of 776
I just saw it on fb post and would have jumped on it with the loyal customer coupon but need more insight; how well implemented and competitive is the dac part etc. I have smsl sp400 so amp is not that important, though if it's better, I might sell the unit. EF400s direct competitor should be Jotunheim 2 with multibit card.

Is the loyal customer discount coupon for pre-order only?
I didn't have any emails with a coupon code :frowning2:((
The real question that everybody wants to know is: would it drive Susvara? They have Sus on the picture with EF400.

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #39 of 776
The real question that everybody wants to know is: would it drive Susvara? They have Sus on the picture with EF400.
probably yes, If not it would be a big marketing blunder. Even Jude says he used it in the video, right? To what extend, that we would never know until product releases or more reviewers tries it. Sandu from Soundnews uses his susvara with two speaker amps in dual mono :laughing:

Mar 11, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #40 of 776
Canjam impressions of the EF400 + Susvara pairing are anemic. Susvara owners have heard too many pairings that maximize what the Susvara can do. The standards are pretty high now, and the EF400 pairing has been pretty meh 😑

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #41 of 776
What formats are excepted?
44/16, 24/192, DSD512?
I think this is the best question!!!!
Actually I have Himalaya R2R Bluetooth Mini DAC in Deva Pro and my HER9, and this himalaya r2r does not support Native DSD. Only DSD converted to PCM.

I hope that using 2 himalayas would be possible to have PDM (DSD) and not only PCM.

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #43 of 776
Hi everyone! EF400 is available for Pre-order now! Don't miss out! :beerchug:
Click to learn more details: https://bit.ly/36cShdy
EF400 Preorder.jpg

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Mar 15, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #45 of 776
Specs, features, aesthetic design and the price... all seem good. Interesting addition to dac/amp world. I wonder how Himalaya R2R dac sound compared to delta sigma dacs.
Or rather other R2R dacs. It seems to have NOS mode but does it really? As far as I know, Denafrips Ares II is not truly NOS for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back