Introducing the Dacamp L1, flagship CL1 Ceramic and CL750 from RHA
Aug 29, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #106 of 515
It might be more of a novelty to some but I'm also really excited about the treble and bass attenuation knobs. On my HA-2, the bass boost works magic on my PM-2's and Noble Savannas. It's pretty much useless for the rest of my gear so having that added control over over high and low frequencies, essentially giving you a 3-band eq, could prove very useful.

What a concept, design the DAC, Amp and IEMs as a SYSTEM!!!

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #109 of 515
  I'm hoping someone will figure out where we (partially) got the CL Series name from...

Ceramic Layer?

Benz CL (coupe-luxury)? :)

CL as Roman numeral for 150 (ohms)?

I'm out, someone help me here!

On a more serious note -- what's the clock source for the DAC? When can we preorder the combo in EU?

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #111 of 515
Dear RHA,

First of all, thank you for being an innovative company and yet not overpricing your innovative products
redface.gif

One of the reason main reason, I have purchased the OPPO HA-2, was its extra function as a power bank when needed, in re-charging my mobile devices.

I am interested in investing on the CL1 + Dacamp L1 combo, and wondering whether the Dacamp L1 would be able to be used as a power bank like the HA2.

Thank you
Regards
Simon

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #112 of 515
  Dear RHA,

First of all, thank you for being an innovative company and yet not overpricing your innovative products
redface.gif

One of the reason main reason, I have purchased the OPPO HA-2, was its extra function as a power bank when needed, in re-charging my mobile devices.

I am interested in investing on the CL1 + Dacamp L1 combo, and wondering whether the Dacamp L1 would be able to be used as a power bank like the HA2.

Thank you
Regards
Simon

Yep! "4000mAh Li-ion battery provides 10 hour playback and charges mobile devices." I pulled that straight for their site. I'm getting ready to sell my HA-2 because I know the Dacamp L1 will sound at least as good with a better feature set :D

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #113 of 515
Battery life - Up to ten hours is via the 3.5mm, but in testing, gain settings and balanced out aren't hugely influential on battery life.

Good to know. Around 5 hours balanced seems to be the norm for other portable amp/dacs so this would be great! If I could get a good 8 hours of it in balanced would be ideal.

I suppose there's no chance of getting a balanced cable with a regular MMCX connector is there?

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #114 of 515
  Yep! "4000mAh Li-ion battery provides 10 hour playback and charges mobile devices." I pulled that straight for their site. I'm getting ready to sell my HA-2 because I know the Dacamp L1 will sound at least as good with a better feature set :D

That's great!!! Thanks a lot for confirming MidFiMoney.

You know what, I know it is too early or that I am just wishing/hyping here.

Even though, we are talking about 2 totally different technology, the CL1 + L1 combo makes me think of the Shure KSE1500 in terms of portability.

And if the CL1 + L1 combo is close to the KSE1500 in terms of sonic performance, at 1/3 of the price. We have a winner... and that's awesome for us (again, wishful thinking).

Cheers

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #115 of 515
That's great!!! Thanks a lot for confirming MidFiMoney.

You know what, I know it is too early or that I am just wishing/hyping here.

Even though, we are talking about 2 totally different technology, the CL1 + L1 combo makes me think of the Shure KSE1500 in terms of portability.

And if the CL1 + L1 combo is close to the KSE1500 in terms of sonic performance, at 1/3 of the price. We have a winner... and that's awesome for us (again, wishful thinking).

Cheers

I doubt the CL1 would come close to the electrostat performance wise. The L1 however, that's a different story since the Shure is limited to 24/96 and has nowhere near the functionality of the L1.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #116 of 515
Getting electrostat performance is wishful thinking indeed

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #118 of 515

Fact is, we just don't know yet. Large electrostat is probably the same or close to mass-vs-force ratio to move around as a tiny IEM dynamic driver in a high-ohm balanced config. Or could be anyway. They use the word "unprecedented" after all.:)

True. However, "unprecedented" could mean anything in the world of marketing. I'd like to imagine if they could get close to electrostat performance, that would be part of their marketing (unless they don't want the added pressure). Not that important to me because I already drank the Kool-aid haha. If they get anywhere near the Noble Savanna (with a tad more bass), I can make room for them on the roster :)

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #120 of 515
  Hello!

Right, let's address the big one that came earlier in the thread. Why are we doing 150 ohm IEMs?

To those who said we're just using them to help sell Dacamp units, I think you're possibly looking at things the wrong way. These products are part of a new collection were developed side-by-side, designed to work together from day one. Anyone who's tried an existing RHA product will likely say that they don't need an amp, so if we'd launched an amp without a headphone that really benefits from it, it would be a bit odd. Similarly, if we'd launched the headphones that need amping without an amp to drive them, it would be a bit odd. That said, the two IEMs will happily run from a good range of amps made by other companies.

The IEMs specifically have the impedance they do because of performance. Our engineers were working on wideband dynamic drivers and found that a config with higher impedance allows them to get better control over the higher frequencies in the extended response. At the same time. they were working on the ceramic driver, and the two techs compliment each other very nicely - piezo drivers have very high impedance, a standard dynamic alongside one wouldn't work very well. The full wideband version of the CL Dynamic went into the CL750, and a slightly adjusted version went into the CL1 Ceramic to work with the ceramic plate driver.

Some quickfire responses to some of the other questions:

Mini XLR - We tried a lot of different balanced options for the product and settled on Mini XLR because it's small, keeps all the poles separated and is durable. We know, there are lots of standards within balanced, and we're not trying to make the situation any more complicated, but we really felt that Mini XLR has lots of positives and few drawbacks. We'll be offering a range of cables and adapters of our own, and working with cable makers to ensure that there are third party options for anyone looking for an alternative.

sMMCX - It's a version of MMCX our engineers developed to be slightly slimmer and also more secure, so in a sense, it is proprietary. Much like the above, we weren't super happy with standard offerings in terms of capabilities and durability, and we will be making the spec available to third parties.

Input/output covers - This is something I've spoken to our guys about today and we're going to start looking into it to see if there's something we can do to go with the planned L1 case.

Naming - Dacamp is actually a trademark of RHA, which is cool, and L1 is the model number, that's all I'll say for now on those. I'm hoping someone will figure out where we (partially) got the CL Series name from...

Battery life - Up to ten hours is via the 3.5mm, but in testing, gain settings and balanced out aren't hugely influential on battery life.

Keep'em coming, and we'll try our best to get replies up regularly.

You guys sending out some pairs for review? Either through the headfi community or other reviewers? Would be nice to get impressions of these before they come out.

I will say this, these products look stellar and they show how hard you guys work in the innovation of your products, keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back