Introducing the CORINA Electrostatic Reference Headphone
Apr 28, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #136 of 320
As for the Topping EHA5, it does feel like it gets most of the way there which is stunning given the cost. The only thing I'd say is it wasn't my favorite pairing with brighter e-stats (HIFIMAN Shangri-La Sr. and Jr., for example)
Is it possible to do the same sort of measurement/frequency response comparison chart you have of the Corina and/or CRBN/Shangri-La/Etc with the Topping EHA5? That way we can know what the difference may be at least in frequency response using the EHA5 instead of an expensive Electrostatic amp and can possibly EQ to compensate if there is a difference -or to simply know what to expect as far as frequency response goes between the different types of Electrostatic amps.
Thanks for all the awesome info btw!

As far as the Corina: - At a previous Canjam I liked the Voce best out of all Dan Clark offerings and hoped they'd implement their AMTS in a future ESL and they did - which is awesome! Thanks Dan!

My hope for some future year would be for a closed-back electrostatic & entry-level electrostatic line would also be welcome.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #137 of 320
Is it possible to do the same sort of measurement/frequency response comparison chart you have of the Corina and/or CRBN/Shangri-La/Etc with the Topping EHA5? That way we can know what the difference may be at least in frequency response using the EHA5 instead of an expensive Electrostatic amp and can possibly EQ to compensate if there is a difference -or to simply know what to expect as far as frequency response goes between the different types of Electrostatic amps.

As far as the Corina: - At a previous Canjam I liked the Voce best out of all Dan Clark offerings and hoped they'd implement their AMTS in a future ESL and they did - which is awesome! Thanks Dan!

My hope for some future year would be for a closed-back electrostatic & entry-level electrostatic line would also be welcome.
Yes I would love to see something like that… I keep hearing that blue hawaii is needed to bring estats to life or get the bass out of them but I find it hard to believe. Would love to see the difference (if any) on an FR chart.

Would also be interesting to see transient responses of tubes vs EHA5’s solid state w/transformers.

Apr 30, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #138 of 320
Yes I would love to see something like that… I keep hearing that blue hawaii is needed to bring estats to life or get the bass out of them but I find it hard to believe. Would love to see the difference (if any) on an FR chart.

Would also be interesting to see transient responses of tubes vs EHA5’s solid state w/transformers.

It's not that a BHSE is needed, hell it isn't even up there in terms of the most powerful stat amps that are available. But stats are generally hard to drive and with some of the lower quality amps (like the lower line stax amps), dynamics and bass are the first things to suffer.

That said, I haven't tried the Topping, but I would love it if a more affordable amp could really drive most stats well.. as it would open up more access for people. Amps are usually the sticking point for a lot of people interested in jumping into to stats. Also, if you keep an eye on the classifieds, several Mjolnir amps pop up that are viable and a bit more affordable than the BHSE.

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #139 of 320
For me frequency charts don’t really tell the story of how an amp sounds. If you want measurements then solid state is the way to go. I just like what tubes sound like. Maybe not the most technically accurate but there is just something about how they present music. The sense of space and smoothness is just different compared to SS. You have to hear a good tube amp and then decide if it is for you.

Apr 30, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #141 of 320
Take the Folkvangr for instance. It's distorsion is said to be relatively high. But I think it sounds great. Tubes add distortion to some degree. I apparently like the distorsion. I find many SS amps, even ones that measure very well, lifeless. However if frequency charts are a good indication for you whether you will like an amp, then by all means rely on them.

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #142 of 320
It is fascinating the choice of using tubes which are relatively slower and bring more distortion. You would think estats would favour the fastest response possible for the diaphragms by their nature… Not having a dig at tubes btw, I love them in some ways…

Anyway getting off topic for Corina, I wish I could demo a pair in Australia before ordering as its a big investment

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #143 of 320
It is fascinating the choice of using tubes which are relatively slower and bring more distortion. You would think estats would favour the fastest response possible for the diaphragms by their nature… Not having a dig at tubes btw, I love them in some ways…
Tubes are not "slower" than transistors. Electrons actually travel faster in a vacuum than in a solid.

May 6, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #144 of 320

Does this help? I did this earlier today as part of my upcoming article on the EHA5.

Frequency response.jpg

As others mentioned, the FR doesn't really change much with sources unless the headphones are quite susceptible to any impedance change or the source is not very good. I'll have more to say about the EHA5 soon enough but those considering the CORINA should be aware that it is less powerful than the BHSE by a good margin and can result in minor dynamic range reduction in the lower frequencies. But it also costs $399 compared to my $8.8k BHSE (w/upgraded tubes).

May 6, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #145 of 320
Does this help? I did this earlier today as part of my upcoming article on the EHA5.

As others mentioned, the FR doesn't really change much with sources unless the headphones are quite susceptible to any impedance change or the source is not very good. I'll have more to say about the EHA5 soon enough but those considering the CORINA should be aware that it is less powerful than the BHSE by a good margin and can result in minor dynamic range reduction in the lower frequencies. But it also costs $399 compared to my $8.8k BHSE (w/upgraded tubes).
Looking forward to this… Thanks!

Just a heads up also, can you also overlay output voltages with the FR. I have been testing output transformer based setups for estats also and the real variance and low frequency falloff occurs at higher voltages and won't be evident at lower levels.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #146 of 320
Our review of the CORINA is up with comparisons to the CRBN, VOCE and Shang Jr. I suspect I might have to bring in amps with a bit more power, but even so, this one hits differently than most other e-stat headphones out there.

https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-corina-review/

social-media-corina.jpg

May 15, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #147 of 320
Our review of the CORINA is up with comparisons to the CRBN, VOCE and Shang Jr. I suspect I might have to bring in amps with a bit more power, but even so, this one hits differently than most other e-stat headphones out there.

https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-corina-review/

Great review. Very promising from the comparisons, it seemed to have improvements over the CRBN for my taste.

If only it would arrive soon, ordered on 26th of march at a german dealer...

May 15, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #149 of 320
Great review. Very promising from the comparisons, it seemed to have improvements over the CRBN for my taste.

If only it would arrive soon, ordered on 26th of march at a german dealer...
We have shipped units to Germany, they should be there… Contact your retailer, and if they don’t have it or can’t get it, let me know the retailers name by p.m.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 15, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #150 of 320
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back