Introducing the Comply S Series - A Review and Comparison
Jun 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
First, I’ll like to thank Comply for giving me a chance to evaluate their upcoming S series foam tips and compared it to their T and TX series.

I have been switching back and forth between each type of the three Comply foam tips for the last two weeks to get a hold of how differently each is. So far I must say my personal favorite is still Comply T400 (in general), though it is not to say I dislike the others. They all have some pros and cons in comparison.

Comply-01.jpg

T400, being the original Comply, is what I am most comfortable with. It is soft, not irritating, and generally has the least impact on sound as compared to the other two. This means I can use it on most IEM without worrying too much of any sonic change, but I do expect the sound signature to turn just a little warmer, smoother and slightly less detail on the treble end. This is perhaps to be expected of using any foam tips and not unique to Comply.

TX400 pretty much does the same as T400, consider they are based on the same foam. However, TX400 also adds more bass weight and takes away just a little more treble because of the foam filter. It is not necessary a bad thing as I have found that TX400 works rather well with IEM that usually being described as analytical or leaner on bass (i.e. Head-Direct RE0, Phiaton PS210, etc). The added filter also works well on stopping earwax from getting to the IEM filter, which can be a pain to clean. This is of course great news for IEM users who tend to have more earwax. On a side note, I also prefer the black color as it is the least obvious when it becomes dirty.

To be fair, the blue colored S400 doesn’t quite look as impressive as its T/TX series counterparts on first sight. I was worrying the rougher outer surface might be irritating in use (as compared to the T series smooth surface), but I was wrong. It pretty much feels just the same as T400, and I do find it to have a little better grip in the ear canal than T series. One important thing I have observed on the S400 is the slower expansion after squeezing which gives it the ability to hold its shape much longer than T series after removal from the ear canal. It is a benefit when situation requires the user to do a quick remove and insert (i.e. try to listen to another person talking). The foam holds its shape and there is no need to squeeze the foam again. In comparison, T400/TX400 will usually just spring back to full size once removed and often needed to be re-squeezed for better fitting. In a sense, S400 does apply just a tiny bit less pressure to the ear canal. The only minor downside about S400 is that it tends to absorb more treble than T400/TX400, which could be the result of a narrower nozzle opening, the rougher surface which absorbs more sound, or perhaps combination of the two. This is probably the only reason why I personally prefer the more revealing (sonic wise) T400. Fitting and comfort wise, I think the new S series could easily equal or better than the T series depends on personal preference.

Comply-02.jpg

S series is supposed to be a different type of foam though the typical soft and tender feeling is just as obvious as other Comply. It is also going to be cheaper than the current T / TX series (but I have no idea about the price yet) which should offer a better bang for the buck for foam tips user.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 24
Apparently they are ready now, I just found them on Comply website for $9.95 for a tri-pack.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 24
Every time I see Comply tips, or even pictures of them, I have to make a cross with my fingers like in Dracula movies.

Truly they are evil music-sucking beasts of the night.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 24
They usually last a month or two for me, if not more. The longest is arounf 2.5 months IIRC.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 24
Tai, you are a miracle worker! The new tips, though, last longer. They are pretty plucky, but they gum up a bit faster. Personally, I like the way they fit better, but if I had the choice, I'd choose Shure olives for skinny sound bore earphones.

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 24
Hopefully these new ones can also be cleaned with hydrogen peroxide. If so, that would be a good value indeed.

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 24
I think the impact that complys have on sound is dependent on the earphones itself too. I bought a box of T400 for use with my sf3, however it completely sucked out any life in my music. 

I became very biased against the T400, and when I got the tf10 I told my non-earphone enthusiastic friend who wanted to try it with foamies that it sucks, always asking him whether he could hear a treble suckout, bloated bass and queer sounding mids. I had to swallow my words when I tried them myself. 

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
been there, done that, comply tips have a avarage lifespan of around 12 days per pair for me, and i dont feel like renting tips,

If you clean your comply tips with hydrogen peroxide you will double their lifespan. Now, I still don't like comply tips, but if you must use them at least this way your "rent" is decreased a bit.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 24
The S-Series is rather new, and as you can see on our website, they come in 9 different color options. ClieOS did a fine job addressing each tip and they all have their own benefits. In fact, I'm using the S-400 with my DUNU Ares right now.

We do recommend cleaning your tips when they get dirty, but we strongly advise you to NOT use a chemical, as it will damage the foam. Just run them under some warm water and scrub the tips with your fingers. After cleaning, let the tips completely dry out before using them.

In case ya'll are interested, we have a coupon code lasting through the middle of next week to celebrate the 4th of July, U.S. independence. Use the code "FIREWORKS" while in the check out process and you will get 25% off you order, no matter what you order or how much you order.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
do the comply improve isolation?

In most cases, yes. In other cases, such as on most Etymotic, they are on par with the stock tri-flanges on isolation. However, If the earpiece is leaky by itself (i.e. Phiaton PS210), then even Comply can't really improve isolation by much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back