Introducing the Audeze MM-500!
Jun 3, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #31 of 472
What do you need to power these? Do they work straight out of an audio interface or a DAC like a Chord Dave?

If not, then I am not interested.
These are designed specifically to be ran from literally anything.

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #32 of 472
I love Audeze but their Head of Professional Products named a line after himself and put his own name on the headphones? I know he's accomplished, it just rubs me the wrong way. Either way, I'm buying an LCD-3 soon - can't beat the classics!
Artist collabs are fairly common in pro audio gear. Every category of big-ticket item at guitar center has an artist signature edition of some sort. Heck, my guitar is a PRS DGT which is arguably one of their better models that they made with a session legend.

Congrats on the Launch @Audeze , she has a beautiful design. Very excited to hear it, I love a good studio reference sound.

Jun 4, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #37 of 472
What do you need to power these? Do they work straight out of an audio interface or a DAC like a Chord Dave?

If not, then I am not interested.
I imagine those of us with high output impedance OTL tube amps are out of luck due to MM having low, 18 ohm impedance, although not sure that principle always holds true with planars. Thoughts from others who have experience with planars on OTL's would be welcomed!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #38 of 472
I imagine those of us with high output impedance OTL tube amps are out of luck due to MM having low, 18 ohm impedance, although not sure that principle always holds true with planars. Thoughts from others who have experience with planars on OTL's would be welcomed!

Not sure about OTL, but LCD-MX4 was sensitive enough to be driven out of a Playstation 4 controller. I imagine MM-500 will be similar.

Jun 4, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #39 of 472
Is this an LCD-X successor? Certainly seems so.

495 gr is not really comfort for all day, is it?
495g is not bad. 100g+ less than most previous LCD models. Also, most higher-end headphones are around this weight. Utopia is 490g, ZMF well over 500g, more like 600g. Susvara 450g. Even the most comfy Elite/Empyrean is 430g.
Maybe this will challenge the Rosson Rad-0 in sound
Unlikely. The RAD-0 has a pretty warm sound, while this new LCD model is tuned for studio use, like the LCD-X. So I would expect accuracy, neutrality and a flat(ish) tuning.

Jun 4, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #40 of 472
I have used Amphenol,Furutech and CHI-fi mini XLR connectors. Rean are the best hands down, not just from a fit perspective but from a cable-builders perspective in terms of internal design and cable termination and security features, notwithstanding superior build/materials continuity.
Can't agree there. Rean, with that stupid little sponge piece, are the only ones that have random units hard lock in, where you need excessive force to remove. I like the price and the feel is fine. Built in strain relief boot is handy

Switchcraft is ok, but sometimes don't quite click in.

Furutech have always fitted in and out perfectly. Their price is stupid though.

Jun 4, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #41 of 472
Not sure about OTL, but LCD-MX4 was sensitive enough to be driven out of a Playstation 4 controller. I imagine MM-500 will be similar.
Audeze's spec:

MX4 (20 ohms) - 105 dB/1mW (at Drum Reference Point)
MM-500 (18 ohms) - 100 dB/1mW (at Drum Reference Point)
X - (20 ohms) - 103 dB/1mW (at Drum Reference Point)

MM-500 is less sensitive than the X, which is less sensitive than the MX4, IIUC.

Jun 4, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #42 of 472

That is good to hear. Then I will demo these when they are out. None of the local stores have them in stock yet.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #43 of 472
LCD-1 were designed to acomplish the same yet their full potential comes only when connected to an amp (two exception that I am aware of are Chord Mojo 1/2 and Fiio Q5s with AM3D thx amp). IMHO both Mytek Brooklyn headamp section nor Chord Hugo TT2 can make this simple model play well unless you increase gain on volume to high level. Just my 2 cents.

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #44 of 472
LCD-1 were designed to acomplish the same yet their full potential comes only when connected to an amp (two exception that I am aware of are Chord Mojo 1/2 and Fiio Q5s with AM3D thx amp). IMHO both Mytek Brooklyn headamp section nor Chord Hugo TT2 can make this simple model play well unless you increase gain on volume to high level. Just my 2 cents.
That can be said for any headphone: their full potential can only be reached from a good amp. It doesn't mean this headphone won't sound incredible compared to other comparably priced headphones coming strait out of a computer.

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #45 of 472
This headphone has been purpose-built from the ground up to deliver studio-quality sound, reimagined, for mixes that translate well and capture the emotion the artist intended.

If this headphone can capture the emotion of the artist intended.

Then is "THE" best headphone in the world ?

Stop. Period ?

:>)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back