Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Sep 21, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #1,141 of 1,636
My main concern is the rings being made of acetate, not a fan when used on glasses, afraid it might give off the same look.

I'm guessing that there will be more color options in the future. Using acetate should make that much easier to offer vs wood.

I’m not sure yet. I would have to see it in person.

That being said, if it looks anywhere near as nice as the LCD-R, we are in good shape

I agree that the LCD-R looks great, but it is real wood, not acetate.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,142 of 1,636
HE-1 550g, Susvara 450g, LCD-5 420g... Nice. Remember.. it is acetate and not plastic. Remember all the complaining people had about the HE800 being plastic? Guess what - it's still one of the most comfortable headphones.

The LCD-R is the last of an era. :)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #1,143 of 1,636
I know the LCD-5 is stealing the show, but after many hours of listening and burn in, I am starting to find a bit less shout and the timbre seems to be getting better on the LCD-R. I think I have my EQ dialed in, and am really loving these guys. Again, for the price of these with the Jot A, this was something special.

I am really excited to hear what others have to say when they get their LCD-5 in comparison with the LCD-R. C'mon @Currawong! We are awaiting the comparo!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #1,144 of 1,636
Both are outstanding headphones for sure!!! My review of the LCD-R can be found here:

https://headphone.guru/the-audeze-l...tunheim-a-amplifier-a-killer-1-2-combination/

I'm currently working on the LCD-5 review. They just arrived on Monday. After 3 days or so with them, they are now firmly in my personal "Top 5" and definitely not fifth. :wink: They are the most balanced and transparent LCD headphones yet! Amazing how these planners achieved a stat or ribbon-like quickness and speed. The LCD-R are definitely in my top 10 of all time and as I've said many times, under $3500, I can't really recommend anything above them. Throw in a very capable amplifier and you have the deal of the year for sure! More to come, but just some of my findings thus far with these two headphones.

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #1,145 of 1,636
Both are outstanding headphones for sure!!! My review of the LCD-R can be found here:

https://headphone.guru/the-audeze-l...tunheim-a-amplifier-a-killer-1-2-combination/

I'm currently working on the LCD-5 review. They just arrived on Monday. After 3 days or so with them, they are now firmly in my personal "Top 5" and definitely not fifth. :wink: They are the most balanced and transparent LCD headphones yet! Amazing how these planners achieved a stat or ribbon-like quickness and speed. The LCD-R are definitely in my top 10 of all time and as I've said many times, under $3500, I can't really recommend anything above them. Throw in a very capable amplifier and you have the deal of the year for sure! More to come, but just some of my findings thus far with these two headphones.
Oh awesome, I read that review and enjoyed everything you wrote when trying to find more information on the LCD-R. I didn't realize that you were Peter!

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #1,146 of 1,636
Oh awesome, I read that review and enjoyed everything you wrote when trying to find more information on the LCD-R. I didn't realize that you were Peter!
Thanks man...yup, that was me.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #1,147 of 1,636
I know the LCD-5 is stealing the show, but after many hours of listening and burn in, I am starting to find a bit less shout and the timbre seems to be getting better on the LCD-R. I think I have my EQ dialed in, and am really loving these guys. Again, for the price of these with the Jot A, this was something special.

I am really excited to hear what others have to say when they get their LCD-5 in comparison with the LCD-R. C'mon @Currawong! We are awaiting the comparo!

I'm thinking to run them overnight to see if the mids calm down a bit, as they are still quite ruthless with anything other than well-recorded.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #1,148 of 1,636
I'm thinking to run them overnight to see if the mids calm down a bit, as they are still quite ruthless with anything other than well-recorded.
Interesting... I kinda got a bit of that from the LCD-R initially too. Not bad, but kinda rough in certain frequency regions and definitely with certain songs. It's an odd headphone, it makes some poorly recorded stuff sound more three dimensional than usual, but also brings out more of the poor recording details. It's very revealing.

I am a believer in burn in (either the equipment or my brain or both).

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #1,149 of 1,636
I got the Qutest today…wasn’t expecting this much of a sound difference…but it is certainly an upgrade over my D90 when paired with the Jot-A/LCD-R

I have since moved it off the top of the Jot-A because I don’t want to cover the vent holes.

Thinking about the LCD-5 but not sure just yet.

Attachments

• 465CEFF3-5E83-4DEB-B632-1795407D3BAC.jpeg
    465CEFF3-5E83-4DEB-B632-1795407D3BAC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Sep 24, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,150 of 1,636
I got the Qutest today…wasn’t expecting this much of a sound difference…but it is certainly an upgrade over my D90 when paired with the Jot-A/LCD-R

I have since moved it off the top of the Jot-A because I don’t want to cover the vent holes.

How’s that Surface tablet treating ya?

Sep 24, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #1,151 of 1,636

Buy the LCD-5 and compare them. Consider it as a community service to all of us who couldn't be part of the 67 chosen ones :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #1,153 of 1,636
How’s that Surface tablet treating ya?
I really enjoy it. I have always used Macs and Windows PCs...I was at a point where all my computers were very dated...The Surface Pro X was on sale for $800 and I had $200 MS credit so for $600 you can't beat it. At $800 I would still recommend it if you aren't planning on doing video editing, photoshop work, 3D modeling, or anything that requires horse power...but as a system that is relatively safe from malware due to it's ARM chip...that can be a tablet or a laptop...you just can't beat it's low end configuration. If I needed a more capable machine I would probably not move up the Surface Pro X line...and instead move to the Surface Pro 8 line.
Buy the LCD-5 and compare them. Consider it as a community service to all of us who couldn't be part of the 67 chosen ones :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I'm not going to lie...I'm not sure how much better they could possibly be...the LCD-R does nothing but get better with time and now that I swapped out for a better DAC...I'm extremely happy. I would be surprised if we don't see the driver in the LCD-R again. I would have to assume the LCD-5 is more comfortable...but I won't be buying a pair until Head-Fiers and Youtubers have had a chance to give some impressions.

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #1,154 of 1,636
@KMann - are we getting close on that Reveal+ update? :L3000:

The LCD-R's have been a treat. I've been able to adjust the sound to my tastes and they still sound as good as anything else I've ever heard. I'm currently giving my ears a Fazor break, but for that 1/4 mille at a time... it's just a full-on assault of resolution and dynamics and just effort-less-ness. I hope to someday trick them out with some animal leather pads that hopefully are a touch stiffer and maybe an amplifier that can really take advantage of the situation here. Pretty special what you did here, Audeze & Schiit.

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #1,155 of 1,636
@KMann - are we getting close on that Reveal+ update? :L3000:

The LCD-R's have been a treat. I've been able to adjust the sound to my tastes and they still sound as good as anything else I've ever heard. I'm currently giving my ears a Fazor break, but for that 1/4 mille at a time... it's just a full-on assault of resolution and dynamics and just effort-less-ness. I hope to someday trick them out with some animal leather pads that hopefully are a touch stiffer and maybe an amplifier that can really take advantage of the situation here. Pretty special what you did here, Audeze & Schiit.
I think someone from Audeze, or someone who was speaking with someone from Audeze, stated that the LCD-X 2021 Reveal Plugin was the EQ profile you should be using for the LCD-R. I think it was stated a few pages back in this thread but I could be wrong. It's dissapointing that they don't create plugins for their special edition headphones (LCD-R/LCD-24). The LCD-X 2021 plugin is available right now in Roon, but i haven't upgraded the software yet since it loses all my audio devices and playback zones every time I upgrade the software, and I am currently using my headphones and don't feel like going through that pain.

I would also like to see Audeze lift the warranty restrictions on using different amps. The headphones aren't going to break, you are just most likely going to destroy or wear out your amp if it can't handle the low impedance load.

I feel bad for all of you with the fazors touching your ears. I am pretty lucky. Lot's of people have complained about the fazors touching their ears on other LCD models as well with the new pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back