Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Jul 27, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #406 of 1,636
Third day in with LCD-R the speed, detail, and timbre on this have been amazing. Normally on headphones on I prefer to upsample to DSD with May in NOS mode and then speakers I prefer to use PCM. When I switched to PCM for LCD-R the timbre issues I had right off the bat were managed.

Compared to 1266 TC I feel they're faster and give a more succinct with a smaller stage. On LCD-R it was easier to pick things out individually so on some super busy recordings like an orchestral/jazz/big band piece something I would have to focus on to pick out with 1266 was done with ease on LCD-R. No surprise 1266 bass just had a more full bodied experience in comparison. LCD-R is good but for most of what I listen to I would probably pick 1266 over it most of the time.

Compared to Verite Closed the level of detail I could hear on LCD-R I just kind of giggled at how much more, it helped me figure out what kind of music I would enjoy on it. Some pieces I did choose VC over LCD-R just because it would come off as a dry tone versus the very coloured tone with VC. Bass on LCD-R was more clear but again the weight carried on VC. I own VC as a fun closedback headphone, it is very different from LCD-R and I just wanted to share a little bit of comparison I did between the two for fun.

I don't have LCD-4 or Diana V2 anymore but from what I remember I think I would pick LCD-R over them. LCD-4 did have the bass over it but what I find as a more balanced tonality and timbre of LCD-R and the ease of picking out details I think I would lean LCD-R over them. As for Diana v2 I would choose LCD-R over them for the soundstage being a bit more open. I do miss Diana every now and then for that in your head kind of presentation it has but if I was just picking one headphone LCD-R would definitely be a contender.

I like LCD-R but I don't think I have a place for it between 1266 and VC. What it's good at it isn't so much better that I would actively choose to grab them, plug jot in and get it going. Having to use a separate amp for it is a minor inconvenience but one nonetheless. Other notes include that these things are really pretty as seen in my previous picture, I forgot clamp and seal are a thing after using 1266 so much, Jot doesn't get as hot as May or Nautilus. I think that these being sold at $2500 were an amazing price point for what they can do. I can understand why others are comparing them to Susvara, 1266, and the like and that makes me very excited to see what else Audeze has up their sleeve for the rest of the year.

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #407 of 1,636
Well got my pair today and man, my ears just do not agree with these fazors. So far have pin pointed three spots where they press against them. It feels ok if I sit up and not move but the instant I turn my head I’m reminded of their presence. The attached pic is after 2 hours of testing and you can see one spot where it actually left a mark, my other ear was worse. Maybe a denser pad would help? It’s so close to being just right, like a centimeter or two :frowning2:
Same here. I also have a small head and am on the smallest setting of the headband. Although they aren't leaving a mark, I feel the fazors prominently.

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #408 of 1,636
Awe man that's rough. The fazors don't touch my ears, even if I push the pads in. Audeze is on this forum, you should contact them and see if they have any ergonomic advice.
At this point I think I’ve tried every position possible 😅 I did have some luck if part the pad rested on my ears though that did add some pressure to the front of the headphone. The pads themselves compress a lot (at least compared to my Arya’s) so I’m looking to see if something from Dekoni would help

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #409 of 1,636
Well got my pair today and man, my ears just do not agree with these fazors. So far have pin pointed three spots where they press against them. It feels ok if I sit up and not move but the instant I turn my head I’m reminded of their presence. The attached pic is after 2 hours of testing and you can see one spot where it actually left a mark, my other ear was worse. Maybe a denser pad would help? It’s so close to being just right, like a centimeter or two :frowning2:

I find position to be key to get the fazors to not touch. Push the cans all the way forward on your ears and then rotate the headband back a little (with the cup height set for the place yoy can get your ears furthest back) if yiu havent tried already. I found this to be the position with the most space in the cups. But yah, fazors here are mazzive....

Same here. I also have a small head and am on the smallest setting of the headband. Although they aren't leaving a mark, I feel the fazors prominently.

At this point I think I’ve tried every position possible 😅 I did have some luck if part the pad rested on my ears though that did add some pressure to the front of the headphone. The pads themselves compress a lot (at least compared to my Arya’s) so I’m looking to see if something from Dekoni would help

Ah, thats rough on both yall. I have a fairly small head as well (use 1 click from smallest on one side), but I'm lucky my ears stick pretyy close to my head. The tuning of these is impeccable, bit I do also wish they used thicker pads/spaced the drivers further back with a thicker cup just as far as fazor clearance goes tbh.

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #410 of 1,636
Ah, thats rough on both yall. I have a fairly small head as well (use 1 click from smallest on one side), but I'm lucky my ears stick pretyy close to my head. The tuning of these is impeccable, bit I do also wish they used thicker pads/spaced the drivers further back with a thicker cup just as far as fazor clearance goes tbh.
For those unfortunate, it is a problem. However, I think it will be fickle for a majority as the pad compression and fazor mass is too much.

Another promising technology goes the way of the HEDD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 28, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #411 of 1,636
Yea I have found that if I put my ears pretty far back that the fazors barely touch. I guess I have a large head because I am nearly maxed out on the rod adjustment. The pads compress a fair amount so I can see why Audeze recommends that you do not store these with the pads compressed. Even so, as the pads wear in my ears may start to touch the fazors more than I would like.

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #413 of 1,636
Well guys...I got it...just sent payment :)
Congrats! Hopefully your ears have a better time avoiding the fazors.

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #415 of 1,636
Think of it as....you're the one who bought it all along. You only lent it to Paradoxper to try a little bit :)
I did appreciate the opportunity to at least try it. :wink:

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #416 of 1,636
Jul 28, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #417 of 1,636
Who is gonna brave enough to chop off the fazors and see what happens??? 😋

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #418 of 1,636
Who is gonna brave enough to chop off the fazors and see what happens??? 😋

Depends on if the fazors are adhered into place, I would certainly not want to grind anywhere near the diaphragm. Although, I have always wondered why audeze doesn't take the hifiman approach and just create rounded / fazored magnets. That would create much more ear-room, theoretically.

But then again, I'm not in the loop on the design process, so there is probably a really good reason as to why they made it this way.

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #419 of 1,636
I can't remember the Fazors being as large on the 4 or 4Z and of course they are not on my LCD 2.1. But, if they are indeed larger, I would not mess around with them. I think Audeze pulled out all their tricks with this design before they move on. They knew people wouldn't get along with "only the Jotunheim-A" or whatever people complain about, so they just made a limited amount for the folks who really just want the penultimate LCD. This is just my conjecture though.

I still can't nail down any comparable experience - it is really "special"

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #420 of 1,636
I have a large dome and large ears; haven't had any ear discomfort with LCD-R's and am enjoying all day comfort while wearing them. Could not say that for my 2020 LCD-X; may have lost a half-inch in height from wearing them:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

I asked support if they were going to update the Reveal+ software with an LCD-R setting and was passed off to Embody who creates the software; no response yet. That being said, the more I listen, the less compelled to EQ them.

Currently running thru an RME ADI-2 DAC FS; going to add a Schitt Freya+ into the chain this weekend(ordered last night and shipping confirmation came thru this morning!)

What an absolutely killer headphone; shame so few will get to experience them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back