Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Jul 27, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #376 of 1,636
The declaration of your personal preferences is noted, but I also notice you're saying very little. (if anything at all) about how the LCD-R does bass, especially, as compared to the Susvara which you also mention here, and actually seem to "bash" or ridicule as a planar (which seems to me like a pretty bold, but inexplicable, move, but I digress).

I am asking, not simply because the Susvara, which you use as your "whipping boy," does bass very well (IMHO), but I also I think the configuration of bass response is one of the major cornerstones of any headphone tuning, so your assessment which seems to neglect a discussion of that topic feels somewhat incomplete to me... I'd appreciate your impressions in that area, if you do not mind.
I unfortunately do not have the Susvara to compare directly. It might have had great bass, but honestly - it sounded too thin overall for me to give it much time on my head.

The LCD-R is flat all the way down and is more smooth than aggressive. They don't punch like a Fostex, ZMF, Abyys, Focal, etc., but they are comparable to my LCD-2.1 in amount+impact. The LCD-R just does micro detail much better.

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #377 of 1,636
The declaration of your personal preferences is noted, but I also notice you're saying very little. (if anything at all) about how the LCD-R does bass, especially, as compared to the Susvara which you also mention here, and actually seem to "bash" or ridicule as a planar (which seems to me like a pretty bold, but inexplicable, move, but I digress).

I am asking, not simply because the Susvara, which you use as your "whipping boy," does bass very well, when properly driven, of course (IMHO), but I also I think the configuration of bass response is one of the major cornerstones of any headphone tuning, so your assessment which seems to neglect a discussion of that topic feels somewhat incomplete to me... I'd appreciate your impressions in that area, if you do not mind.

Lol. Chill out m8. He isn't calling your mom names. He is talking about a headphone

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #380 of 1,636
Lol. Chill out m8. He isn't calling your mom names. He is talking about a headphone

What if his mom is named "Susvara". It's possible...just saying. Could just be a huge misunderstanding. :)
You guys are getting it all wrong... Momma ain't no "Susvara"

She just digs dat bass, dat big ol' badass bass :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1a6999de7a3688c2f9bc543e2eee5f8c.gif

So she ain't too fond of bass-lite impressions is all... she's gotta have dat low-end data...

Y'all can sue her for protesting too much if y'all want :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #381 of 1,636

Just a note, those all can run sub 1 ohm momentarily. That doesn't necessarily mean they can do so for sustained loads. Great list to start with for sure, but probabaly want to do more research on each individual one before jumping

You guys are getting it all wrong... Momma ain't no "Susvara"

She just digs dat bass :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1a6999de7a3688c2f9bc543e2eee5f8c.gif

So she ain't too partial to bass-lite impressions is all...

Y'all can sue her for protesting too much if y'all want :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

If you want bass then just get 1266. As is the LCD-R hits harder than properly amped arya at the very least, but imo arya doesn't hit hard enough anyways.

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #382 of 1,636
If you want bass then just get 1266. As is the LCD-R hits harder than properly amped arya at the very least, but imo arya doesn't hit hard enough anyways.
IMO, the Arya scales better with power than the susvara does. This is from my test with the Topping A90, IHA-6, and Ncore 252MP amp. The susvara seems to top off at the IHA-6 with little change going to the NCore, while my arya hits a little harder on the Ncore 252MP than the IHA-6. But your mileage may very. I will be comparing the arya to the LCD-R tonight, so I can know once and for all the answer (in my setup, that is).

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #383 of 1,636
Or an LCD-4, there's something I couldn't get behind with the timbre on the 1266 but that could just be me :p.

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #384 of 1,636
IMO, the Arya scales better with power than the susvara does. This is from my test with the Topping A90, IHA-6, and Ncore 252MP amp. The susvara seems to top off at the IHA-6 with little change going to the NCore, while my arya hits a little harder on the Ncore 252MP than the IHA-6. But your mileage may very. I will be comparing the arya to the LCD-R tonight, so I can know once and for all the answer (in my setup, that is).
Very interested to hear what you think. I'm not a seasoned audio vet...but it certainly feels like bass is not the Arya's strong suit to me. Still really like the Arya though. I also have a Topping A90...would be interested to know how the A90 + Arya fairs against the LCD-R + Jot A. I assume you're going to stick with the Jot A on your LCD-R...would be a shame to have a $2.5k headphone without a warranty and no way to replace.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #385 of 1,636
Very interested to hear what you think. I'm not a seasoned audio vet...but it certainly feels like bass is not the Arya's strong suit to me. Still really like the Arya though. I also have a Topping A90...would be interested to know how the A90 + Arya fairs against the LCD-R + Jot A. I assume you're going to stick with the Jot A on your LCD-R...would be a shame to have a $2.5k headphone without a warranty and no way to replace.

Audeze will will repair out of warrently cans. I asked specificaly so I knew before I try the hsa-1b

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #386 of 1,636
Audeze will will repair out of warrently cans. I asked specificaly so I knew before I try the hsa-1b
Maybe I missed it but how does the sound of the Jotunheim A compare to the hsa-1b?

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #387 of 1,636
The arya can take bass EQ VERY well, to the point that it's just silly. There is quite a bit of bloom, but it's certainly there.

Also, each arya seems to differ unit to unit. The first arya I had sounded off in the left driver; it seemed to lack any form of impact or slam. I sent them in for replacement, and the unit I got in return was leagues ahead of my first unit in terms of dynamics and punch/slam. I really think it's just luck of the draw.

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #388 of 1,636
The arya can take bass EQ VERY well, to the point that it's just silly. There is quite a bit of bloom, but it's certainly there.

Also, each arya seems to differ unit to unit. The first arya I had sounded off in the left driver; it seemed to lack any form of impact or slam. I sent them in for replacement, and the unit I got in return was leagues ahead of my first unit in terms of dynamics and punch/slam. I really think it's just luck of the draw.
I have not heard the Arya (was just looking for an 'Open box' Arya though), but I have heard the Ananda (handled bass EQ, okay) and I really liked those. However, to me if you say it takes "EQ VERY well", saying that "There is quite a bit of bloom" would mean to me that it does now take EQ very well. "Bloom" to me is a negative trait. Just my opinion. All of the Audeze LCD line that I have tried take bass EQ very well, with perhaps ZERO bloom. Another headphone that I love to EQ, the HD800 take bass EQ pretty well. But you can definitely bring on some bloom/muddiness if not careful.

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #389 of 1,636
I have not heard the Arya (was just looking for an 'Open box' Arya though), but I have heard the Ananda (handled bass EQ, okay) and I really liked those. However, to me if you say it takes "EQ VERY well", saying that "There is quite a bit of bloom" would mean to me that it does now take EQ very well. "Bloom" to me is a negative trait. Just my opinion. All of the Audeze LCD line that I have tried take bass EQ very well, with perhaps ZERO bloom. Another headphone that I love to EQ, the HD800 take bass EQ pretty well. But you can definitely bring on some bloom/muddiness if not careful.

Agree whole heartedly. If you loose detail it isn't taking eq well it just isn't breaking.

As for the hsa-1b, I havent tried it yet. Just wanted to make sure I was good before I do so at canjam

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #390 of 1,636
Well now my expectations are getting really confused. Currently have been underwhelmed with a 2021 LCD-XC via ADI-2 and Jot 2, so am very curious if I will be as impressed by LCD-R as much as the folks here. They'd have to be entirely different animals. I won't have any speaker amps to try Jot-R on, so will just be trying it with the included amp.

Got a tracking number yesterday with an expected delivery of tomorrow, but it appears to have not been pickup up by UPS yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back