Introducing Shanling M7 - Portable Hi-Fi Android Player
Nov 5, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #288 of 505
It is very difficult to recommend M8 or M7 to people M8 is warm M7 is cool Is it possible to achieve the sound of the M8 with the AK4499EX?
As you have experience of both, you say exactly what you hear and most people know what they want so they will decide which is better for them.

If I understand you correctly, you mean, "achieve the sound of the M8" on the M7, after market. I believe, because the DAC chips are integral to the design of the circuitry, although possible, it unlikely to be done after market.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #290 of 505
Isn't that the chip in M6 Ultra????
That’s akm4493SEQ. It’s new also, but only 2 channel. That’s why the m6 ultra uses 4 chips.

I hope Shanling is working on a new dap using the 4499EX, the only equipment I’ve seen using it so far is the new SMSL DAC.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #292 of 505
Nov 6, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #293 of 505
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 13, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #295 of 505
I know burn-in has it's detractors but this player does take you on a wild journey of sound. My initial inpressions were great after 20-30 hours and then the bass seems to weaken and treble became very sharp and sizzly. Now after 100 hours it sounds like it's settled with a sound even better than my first impressions. The treble just sounds perfect and present, the bass once again hitting hard and very deep where you can feel it. The mids with great clarity and detail with just enough edge to give everything a nice bite. It also has this feel of an atmosphere where it sounds like you're listening to everything being played live, it's quite something.

I'm now wondering what the M9 sounds like and if it's worth the risk, I know in this game improvements can be incremental. Plus the M7 is lovely and compact. Anyone heard both and whether the difference is worth the extra money?

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #296 of 505
Let's post of your setups that you enjoy with the M7

I'll start. The CEMA Gyrfalcon just came in 2 days ago. Pairs tremendously well with the Tansio Mirai Akia and M7

I’ll drop one! Got the essentials all lined up. M7 > KBEAR SPC cable (wonderful) > IT07. Great synergy!
0584E1CC-E602-4DBC-BC50-4E68962C844C.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #298 of 505
I know burn-in has it's detractors but this player does take you on a wild journey of sound. My initial inpressions were great after 20-30 hours and then the bass seems to weaken and treble became very sharp and sizzly. Now after 100 hours it sounds like it's settled with a sound even better than my first impressions. The treble just sounds perfect and present, the bass once again hitting hard and very deep where you can feel it. The mids with great clarity and detail with just enough edge to give everything a nice bite. It also has this feel of an atmosphere where it sounds like you're listening to everything being played live, it's quite something.

I'm now wondering what the M9 sounds like and if it's worth the risk, I know in this game improvements can be incremental. Plus the M7 is lovely and compact. Anyone heard both and whether the difference is worth the extra money?
Next dap from Shanling is a revised M9 with AK4499EX. Only difference will be the Dac chips.....incoming.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #299 of 505
Thought I'd drop a few impressions here as I've had both the M7 and DX320 in my possession for a few weeks as I've been trying to settle on a new DAP (been years since I've had a standalone unit). These are neither polished, nor comprehensive - just the things that have stood out to me in my time with the players, both running lossless Apple Music through Noble Khans , iBasso IT07s and Grado GH1s.

M7:
  • Heavier, but much easier on the hand.
  • Better physical volume knob integration.
  • Smooth and quick UI experience!
  • Slightly fewer options in the dropdown menu.
  • Fatigue-free sound overall. True to the Shanling house sound of naturalness with the slightest of bass lifts.
  • Was expecting some Sabre glare, but pleasantly finding none!
  • Quiet background.
  • Display is good (certainly usable) but not great.
  • For some reason, my Mac has a much easier time switching to USB DAC mode with the M7 than the DX320.

DX320:
  • Lighter in weight, but overly large for a single hand IMHO.
  • Don't love the look or feel of the wheel as much.
  • Also, very smooth and quick UI.
  • Very similar overall signature with the Amp 11 MkII. Perhaps not quite as much air up top, but a touch more resolving.
  • Amp 13 definitely brings some of the tube flavor in a great way!
  • Not loving the dual battery situation from a performance aspect as much. Digital just runs out quicker if I'm using easy-to-drive IEMs or headphones.
  • Ultra-quiet background with Amp 11; not totally quiet with Amp 13.
  • Amazing display, rivaling my iPhone 12.
  • Larger sense of space in the sound in every direction, with either amp module.
  • Speaking of amp modules, they are pleasantly easy to swap in/out!
  • Really like the secondary light bar at the top of the screen to display sample rate and whatnot.

Ultimately, I'm keeping the M7. Not necessarily because 'it's the best' across the board, but it does check my boxes better, in terms of in-hand usability, sound quality, and UI experience. Plus I don't have demanding headphones, so some of the benefits of extra power/balanced operation that the DX320 offers don't do much for me.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #300 of 505
Thanks to everyone I sent a PM to regarding two questions:

Firstly the possible wobble effect of the wheel and overall solidness and
secondly any excess heat issues.

I did receive quite differing or polar opposite replies.
Some have said that the wheel is rock solid and clicky while others have noted it indeed does wobble and feels quite loose when turning.
I am starting to think that this is a possible QC issue or Shanling have used different batches of the wheel mechanism for some reason. I am not a fan of this implemation and it was the reason I returned the iBasso DX240. If I may, I prefer a well anchored wheel which extends from the player by a good 5mm and solid as to get a firm finger grip.
Again and same with the heat issue, some have said that it only gets warm comparable to others players and some have said it gets very hot.
The heat I understand is a function of the load and weather although this has been taken into account here. I am not really bothered by the heat issue compared to the volume adjuster.

To Shanling:
With upcoming players can I suggest that you put up some questionnaire of sorts to ascertain what people would like as features or regards the build aspects.

Some might see my concern as some 'obsession' with the wheel and shrug it off. To me it's called pride of ownership especially when the rest of the player from all reports is beautifully made and executed. Another point is that it would be so much easler to use, don't you agree?
Sorry for my rant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back