Introducing Shanling M7 - Portable Hi-Fi Android Player
May 29, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #136 of 509
Thank you very much for such a cool review!) My M7 is on the way, I will share my listening impressions a bit later.
Make sure to burn in the m7 for a while. The sound, especially bass and soundstage changed quite a bit from out of the box after some hrs.
Thanks for the effort. It would seem from your observations that the M7 is one clear step above the DX240. I'm intrigued.

IMHO yes, m7 is a step above dx240. Build quality is better, less “light aluminum” and more premium.

Soundwise, I was never a big fan of dx240 but I like the m7.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #137 of 509
100hrs burn in done. Some short impressions and comparisons as I aim to 200hrs burn in - my dx240 was burned in 200hrs + when I sold it, m8 300hrs and m17 which I still have 300hrs+.

I already wrote about build quality which is excellent (beside the volume wheel I’m not a fan of). A step above the iBassos dx240 and dx300.

I decided to test the m7 with my denon d9200 with stock cable from SE. This because I have read a couple of reviews online in which the sound profile of the m7 has been characterized by an extended treble and it was suggested to be careful with pairing with neutral/bright gear. The denon d9200 are linear headphones with very extended treble. Many people suggest to swap the stock cable as it can make them overly bright so I thought it could be a good test for the m7 sound signature. I must say that I have never found the d9200 treble overly extended neither peaky. I have also found that swapping the stock cable to a pure copper one would make them overly warm and bassy (to my ears). As a disclaimer, my preferences in sound go to a balanced warmish sound with hard hitting full bass and good separation of the sounds.

After 100hrs with denon d9200 stock cable from SE I would characterize the m7 sound profile as balanced, clear, sparkly (not dry or overly bright) with extended hard hitting sub bass and treble. Mid bass hits strong and fast, mids have a tinge of warmth and treble is extended and airy. Instrument are not smoothed out or rounded like in M8.
The soundstage (and bass on another note) improved a lot with burn in from out of the box. It’s definitely wide, with holographic placement of instruments and quite a bit of air. This is helped by the very black hiss and noise free background. Vocals are not placed overly forward and this helps greatly with possible sibilance which is absent. To really put the treble to test I listened to a couple of songs from guns and roses as axel rose vocals are notoriously peaky. Tbh I found the whole experience pretty smooth and not harsh or peaky.
The m7 is a very clear and balanced dap. I must also say the different filters make a noticeable difference with sound. The stock one is sharper than the minimum slow roll off which is more laid back so you can select filter depending on your taste.

Comparisons

Vs dx240 amp 8 mk2 (from memory): Tbh I was never a fan of dx240 amp 8 mk2. The fact I bought it almost at the same time as the m17 didn’t help as I found the m17 sound 10 steps above in sound quality. Build quality is better with m7. Sound quality - To my ears the M7 is clearer, cleaner, airier with wider soundstage and much blacker background. The dx240 had much more forward high mids which I found at time fatiguing. Not the m7 which is more balanced. Even though the dx240 amp8 mk2 was slightly more “analogue” sounding with warmer (and slower) bass, I must say I vastly prefer the m7 sound. Some people may find the m7 too clear and linear for their preferences but I think this quality makes it more universal in terms of pairings.

Vs M8 (from memory): The M8 is a completely different dap compared to m7. The M8 was smooth, lush and v shape. It had super strong full bass which made it a bit difficult to pair as some of my gear sounded sublime (ier-z1r), others sounded way too bassy or smoothed out (u12t, d9200, duo). It was mostly my sit down and relax dap but it somehow lacked a bit of transparency and air. The m7 is way more linear with way less warmth and strong bass. Airier, wider more holographic soundstage (to my ears) with faster bass. M8 was more “analogue”, m7 is clearer and more sparkly. I find m7 more universal with pairings. Not even a comparison from a speed point of view. M7 OS is way faster and snappier if you are streaming. It also has both 4.4 and 3.5 which I find more convenient than the m8 and m9 replaceable sockets. In fact, that was the reason why I went for m7 instead if m9.

Vs m17: Not a fair comparison considering the use scenarios which are quite different between the 2 daps. The M17 is double the weight and the size, has desktop components, m7 gets warm but m17 gets warmer. Soundwise, M17 is the best dap I have ever had or tried (and I was not even a fiio daps fan before trying the m17) but I can see the size and weight to be quite a problem for many users. The m17 is impressively quiet considering how power it has but still the m7 has a blacker background. Tbh the m17 is noise free with all my gear. However when testing the m17 low gain SE with the notoriously hiss monsters solaris se I hear noise while m7 is very quiet.

Soundwise, I find the m17 slightly warmer and more euphonic than m7. Bass impact is fuller and stronger, Dynamics are more highlighted, soundstage is bigger in all directions and more holographic . Instruments are slightly more smoothed out and rounded in m17 while M7 is more linear and sparkly. If the m17 is mostly a neutral warmish powerful dap, the m7 is a neutral linear sparkly dap.

Soundwise, for my preferences, I prefer the m17 but, As I wrote, comparison between the 2 is not fair and it would also not make much sense if you are looking for a portable dap. The m17 is mostly an at home dap. Or a brick if you need a weapon for self defence when out. The m7 is perfectly portable. I’m happy to have both and I’m curious to see where the m7 will stand after another 100hrs+ of burn in.

All in all I like the m7 and I vastly prefer it to his main competitor dx240. I also prefer it to m8 which was less airy, more vshape hence more tricky with pairings.
I will be waiting for more impressions and reviews from other users/reviewers with different gear.

922B3D79-0DC8-4D4A-9108-DA80B102B22B.jpeg
I've seen 2 reviews of M7. Both noted peaky treble and not very wide soundstage compared to m8. Are you agreeing with that? Or burn in solves this problem?

May 29, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #138 of 509
I've seen 2 reviews of M7. Both noted peaky treble and not very wide soundstage compared to m8. Are you agreeing with that? Or burn in solves this problem?
I think I answered in my previous post. I don’t find the m7 treble peaky or the soundstage narrow. M7 treble is more extended and more neutral than m8 but after burn in not peaky at all. I find m7 soundstage quite a bit airier and more holographic than m8 which is way warmer and more planted in the fullness of its bass. That’s with my gear. Not sure if the reviewers gave some burn in to their units or with what gear they tested their m7s. I must say that the sound changed quite a bit with burn in from out of the box in bass and soundstage. Also as always preferences/sensitivities come into play.

Tbh I found way more fatiguing dx300 with amp11 mk2 or dx240 amp8 with those forward upper mids. And most of the reviewers swore on how good and analogue sounding the dx240 amp 8 was. I must also say that some reviewers reported the m17 to be bright (?) and dry (??) so, well, different opinions/ears.

Not to say the m7 is super smooth because it is not. I find it just neutral, linear and very clear.

That’s still to my ears and I’m looking forward to some other reviews/impressions.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #140 of 509
I think I answered in my previous post. I don’t find the m7 treble peaky or the soundstage narrow. M7 treble is more extended and more neutral than m8 but after burn in not peaky at all. I find m7 soundstage quite a bit airier and more holographic than m8 which is way warmer and more planted in the fullness of its bass. That’s with my gear. Not sure if the reviewers gave some burn in to their units or with what gear they tested their m7s. I must say that the sound changed quite a bit with burn in from out of the box in bass and soundstage. Also as always preferences/sensitivities come into play.

Tbh I found way more fatiguing dx300 with amp11 mk2 or dx240 amp8 with those forward upper mids. And most of the reviewers swore on how good and analogue sounding the dx240 amp 8 was. I must also say that some reviewers reported the m17 to be bright (?) and dry (??) so, well, different opinions/ears.

Not to say the m7 is super smooth because it is not. I find it just neutral, linear and very clear.

That’s still to my ears and I’m looking forward to some other reviews/impressions.
My M7 should be in my hands sometime this week, hopefully! Should be able to give OOTB impressions before burning in!

May 30, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #141 of 509
Make sure to burn in the m7 for a while. The sound, especially bass and soundstage changed quite a bit from out of the box after some hrs.
I will. I wanted to say that you have a fundamental approach to feedback, I really appreciate it. Other reviews I've read seem superficial, although I may be wrong.

May 30, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #142 of 509
New firmware Update for M7

https://en.shanling.com/article-M7M9FirmMay.html

1. Optimized behaviour of playback controls of Bluetooth headsets.
2. Added SMB support to Shanling Music app.
3. Added Album Skip function to Shanling Music app.
4. Added Czech language to the system.
5. Optimized MQA Playback
6. Improved compatibility with certain microSD cards
7. Other bug fixes and system improvements

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 2, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #143 of 509
Not sure if this has been addressed before just wondering if anyone has issues playing hires files directly as opposed to using Android Audio? I have UAPP installed and it seems all my hires files are playing at 44.1. I do have bit-perfect audio enabled in the USAPP settings. Wonder if it is because UAPP needs to be updated to support M7.

Jun 2, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #144 of 509
Hello! Shanling M7 has a problem with Wi-Fi.
When connecting a 5GHz Wi-Fi network with the WPA2-Personal/AES authentication method, the speed drops after the download starts. First, the speed is 1 MB / s, then the speed drops to 80-90 kB/s and after a couple of seconds the speed becomes 8 kB/s. Of course, nothing can be downloaded and updated at such a speed.
When connected to a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network with the WPA2-Personal/AES authentication method, a similar situation occurs. First, the download speed is 500 kB / s, then the speed drops to 100 kB / s and periodically rises to 300 kB/s. The speed does not drop to zero, so I managed to download programs and update, but it's still not comfortable for work.

I started with the settings on the Shanling M7 player:
1) Tried resetting network settings. Did not help.
2) I selected the option "Use the MAC address of the device" in the Wi-Fi connection settings. Did not help.
3) I tried to set a static address in the Wi-Fi network. Did not help.
4) I tried a complete reset of the device settings. Did not help.
5) Turning Bluetooth on and off has no effect.

Then I went to the router settings:
1) Limit the frequency to 20 MHz. Did not help.
2) Reduced the MTU value by 50-100 points. Did not help.
3) Changed the encryption key update interval. Did not help.
4) Manually set the number of the channel used. Did not help.
Maybe I tried something else, but it did not work out to solve the problem.

It's all about the WPA2-Personal/AES authentication method. After switching to the WPA-Personal / TKIP authentication method in the router the speed becomes 6+ MB / s and is stable. However, this is an old and insecure authentication method. And the 802.11n mode does not work on WPA-Personal / TKIP, so the transfer rate becomes lower for all other devices.

A similar problem was on OnePlus and Google Pixel smartphones with Android 10 OS. The problem was solved with updates.
On other devices connected to Wi-Fi with the WPA2-Personal / AES authentication method, there are no problems and the speed is stable.

Router model ASUS RT-N56U.

Jun 2, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #145 of 509
Not sure if this has been addressed before just wondering if anyone has issues playing hires files directly as opposed to using Android Audio? I have UAPP installed and it seems all my hires files are playing at 44.1. I do have bit-perfect audio enabled in the USAPP settings. Wonder if it is because UAPP needs to be updated to support M7.
I don’t know if this is correct or not, but I use the settings as on the iBasso DX220:
1) Internal audio driver - HiRes Direct driver;
2) HiRes driver flags - Direct PCM;
3) Hires audio format - 32-bit;
4) Bit perfect mode - On.
When playing music, it shows the correct sample rate.

Jun 2, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #146 of 509
Just got my M7.
Just build quality impressions for now:

Wow this thing is built well! It is a bit heavier and thicker than I thought (it's all in the specs, I am just.. bad at visualizing). It feels quality as soon you pick it up - the machining is beautiful, glass on front/top/back fits flush everywhere and the back especially feels nice due to the matte finish. It feels soft for whatever reason, not that it is actually soft lol.

The screen is beautiful and is actually comparable to, and in some ways better than recent flagship smartphones - it is full HD on a 5' IPS PANEL with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Pixels are impossible to see, unlike recent smartphone bricks that squeeze full HD into 6.4-6.8'.

Now the volume wheel/power button does feel too light, and there is a very slight play (not inwards-outwards, but rather between the steps). However this play is only noticeable during the first click, once you get going (to adjust more than 2-3 steps), it is not noticeable really.

Sound quality impressions will be later, but I also don't have many sources to compare it to. I am also not a big believer in drastic sound differences from the source, given the headphones are easy to drive.

My current sources are entry level by any standards: ZTE Axon 7, LG V50, Shanling M3X and a desktop dac/amp Creative X7.

A tip for those struggling with Play Store out of the box:
1.Install the latest update - Play Store will now allow to login, but not download apps
2.Change system time (in Android settings) to match your time zone.

Attachments

• 20220602_184209.jpg
    20220602_184209.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 3, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #147 of 509
Ok. So my M7 has arrived (yesterday afternoon). Apparently there are only two units in Saigon currently. @beomonk and myself are the first two!

IMG_1250.jpg
IMG_1249.jpg

Coming from the M6Pro (AK), the unboxing experience was slightly more luxurious. The bonus was receiving the leather case free for the pre-order though the M7 it is a shame to cover it up.

IMG_1256.jpg

I love the form factor. My M6Pro feels like a baby compared to it, yet from a portability point of view, nothing is sacrificed! It is actually shorter than the M6Pro, just slightly fatter and wider. Sound wise it is a slight upgrade only. Same warmth but more reference sounding. So far am really pleased with it. First thing I did was upgrade the firmware so no issues with Playstore! Thanks for info though @beomonk! Am struggling with getting bit perfect to work in my UAPP. Have tried your suggestion @SCARTER and it does not show Direct as opposed to Android but there is a warning that this is not in itself a confirmation that it is indeed Direct. Apparently you have to do some test (there are two or three options) but the instructions were too challenging for me! Anyway I'm sure all it will take is an update from UAPP and all will be well!

IMG_1255.jpg

Included in the box are two screen protectors, a nice USB A to C braided cable and and what looks like two spare o-rights, though I have no idea what the o-rights are for. Have posed the question to the supplier and see how they respond.

That's all for now. Burning-in and will give more impressions later!

Jun 3, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #148 of 509
Ok. So my M7 has arrived (yesterday afternoon). Apparently there are only two units in Saigon currently. @beomonk and myself are the first two!

IMG_1250.jpg IMG_1249.jpg
Coming from the M6Pro (AK), the unboxing experience was slightly more luxurious. The bonus was receiving the leather case free for the pre-order though the M7 it is a shame to cover it up.

IMG_1256.jpg

I love the form factor. My M6Pro feels like a baby compared to it, yet from a portability point of view, nothing is sacrificed! It is actually shorter than the M6Pro, just slightly fatter and wider. Sound wise it is a slight upgrade only. Same warmth but more reference sounding. So far am really pleased with it. First thing I did was upgrade the firmware so no issues with Playstore! Thanks for info though @beomonk! Am struggling with getting bit perfect to work in my UAPP. Have tried your suggestion @SCARTER and it does not show Direct as opposed to Android but there is a warning that this is not in itself a confirmation that it is indeed Direct. Apparently you have to do some test (there are two or three options) but the instructions were too challenging for me! Anyway I'm sure all it will take is an update from UAPP and all will be well!

IMG_1255.jpg

Included in the box are two screen protectors, a nice USB A to C braided cable and and what looks like two spare o-rights, though I have no idea what the o-rights are for. Have posed the question to the supplier and see how they respond.

That's all for now. Burning-in and will give more impressions later!
The O rings are for the cover of the card slot. If you look at them closely there's a o ring attached to the inside blade of the cover for sealing purpose. Never saw anyone to provide that as a spare...really commendable and thoughtful of Shanling to do this.

Did you update it via OTA, or by downloading the files and copying in the memory of M7?

Jun 3, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #149 of 509
The O rings are for the cover of the card slot. If you look at them closely there's a o ring attached to the inside blade of the cover for sealing purpose. Never saw anyone to provide that as a spare...really commendable and thoughtful of Shanling to do this.

Did you update it via OTA, or by downloading the files and copying in the memory of M7?
Cool! You live and learn every day! I always download and copy to my SD card for both my M6Pro and M7. A lot faster!

Jun 4, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #150 of 509
img_1271.jpg

Sublime pairing! Loving my M7!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back