Introducing Shanling M30 - Modular Desktop Hi-Fi Streaming Player
Aug 22, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #826 of 1,659
yep, once you anyway put in new cables when building or restoring a house it makes sense imho.
But I myself still have "only" a 4K TV but maybe in 10 years once our daughter is starting to have her own TV too and we are using like 4 TVs in the house in parallel plus streaming from iPads etc in 16 k or whatever is standard then we might need CAT8 cables :wink:
But then also my internet connection needs to get updated as it will be the bottleneck.

Stil only having Telekom copper wire here up to 250 MBIT, fibre channel is more the exception around and fastest standard is coming from cable TV providers if you are connected to their network here in Germany
Very true! The Cat8 is in several rooms for now, but when main renovation happens, plan to convert the rest to Cat8. When I can upgrade the switch beyond 1gbps, home server file transfer will be a dream!

The telecoms over in the USA are managing 1gbit over copper lines, perhaps some further optimization can get it to 10gbps. Who knows 😂

Aug 22, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #827 of 1,659
feeling a bit like Stone Age over here.
That infrastructure topic has been discussed over and over again in politics but now it's looking like we are getting some faster mobile network than landline cabling plus battery powered cars without charging infrastructure :expressionless:

Aug 22, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #829 of 1,659
Aw my Gawk!!! The dynamic always give me jaws dropping eargasm

Hd800SA and Turbo gain with M30!!
Tube mode I assume? Or do you like the other amp modes like bypass or solid state with HD800SA?

edit: ah I see the updated response, thank you! Excited to try this out.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #831 of 1,659
If you would like more dynamic from your PCM, SRC ==> DSD256 but it compromises some depth and width of stages, not much but is there, though you will gain a cleaner background and a more defined cues of positioning as much as a more vivid vocal

The SRC is actually pretty nice. I usually don’t like much anymore of these in many other systems, but the M30 is very enjoyable whether you set to upscale toward 368Khz or Live Conversion DSD256. There will be trade offs, and that opens up different flavor each day

Aug 23, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #832 of 1,659
@werewolff9
So I ve checked the Tidal settings once again and I am using the exclusive mode just like you.
M30 is showing the twice MQA unfold which is to be expected in DAC mode as full MQA unfold isn't supported there but only the twice unfold by the Tidal native app.
However as I learnt the M30 internal upsampling can be applied on top and there I am doing either DSD256 upsampling or upsampling to highest PCM bit rate.
SQ is great to my ears - no decrease to the M30 SQ.
1629667415379.png
Edit: one thing coming to my mind looking at the 2nd option "force volume" - this seems to be deactivated in your settings.
if you turn that on you will maximize digital volume from your MAC which is always the recommendation usually for digital sources.
So it could well be that a lower volume on your source might lead to a recognition of muffled sound compared to same volume wheel setting on your M30 playing from local Tidal app there as on M30 digital volume is always maxed out - in contrast to e.g IBASSO players where you can set DAC and amp volume separately.
thanks 👍
let me try with force volume switched on

also the mixer shows only 44.1 ...and i tried changing to 96 or anyother value which its not picking up

will still check in the evening

Aug 23, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #835 of 1,659
Aug 23, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #837 of 1,659
I’ve been drunk since Saturday evening , I’m too lazy to update it just yet 🤭
Haha ok, then get both and keep one! Typical Bobby. :sunglasses:

Aug 23, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #838 of 1,659
@Whitigir @bigbeans
Actually I don't want to hear it if it is better but pls let us know how you find DX300 Max vs M30 soon.
Functionality wise I have to say that I can hardly wish more with all the connectivity and amp switching options and this is Imho fitting better if you are more into desktop systems and Full Size cans...and Traillii actually sounds like a Full Size can to me rather than an IEM 😉
Edit: I personally didn't like Traillii on DX220 Max - too bright and missing body (might be that I am too much into Shanling signature meanwhile).
I also found the stage unnatural though I am usually a large stage lover whereas it sounds perfectly fine on M30 (and also on C9 paired with M8 before). As I heard that DX300 Max is bringing back body and analogue texture (that was to be expected looking at DX300) I am interested in further comparisons

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #839 of 1,659
Do I need to be demo’ing the M30?
All I will say is if you think that the M8 makes the bird sing, wait til you hear how it sounds out of the M30... :wink:

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #840 of 1,659
@Whitigir @bigbeans
Actually I don't want to hear it if it is better but pls let us know how you find DX300 Max vs M30 soon.
Functionality wise I have to say that I can hardly wish more with all the connectivity and amp switching options and this is Imho fitting better if you are more into desktop systems and Full Size cans...and Traillii actually sounds like a Full Size can to me rather than an IEM 😉
Edit: I personally didn't like Traillii on DX220 Max - too bright and missing body (might be that I am too much into Shanling signature meanwhile).
I also found the stage unnatural though I am usually a large stage lover whereas it sounds perfectly fine on M30 (and also on C9 paired with M8 before). As I heard that DX300 Max is bringing back body and analogue texture (that was to be expected looking at DX300) I am interested in further comparisons
I don’t have 300Max yet as I am determined to get titanium unit to celebrate Ibasso anniversary.
I agree about dx220Max and all that you said. I still stick with what I have found so far, the only way to get M8 performances and has every bells/whistles is to get it on steroid !!! And that would be the M30. Even the C9/Dx312 can’t do it, and even the M30 preamp out into the C9 can’t do it. Only the M30 by itself !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back