Introducing Shanling M30 - Modular Desktop Hi-Fi Streaming Player
Aug 20, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #811 of 1,659
Wifi pollution just reminded me of trying Ethernet connection later on.
As my business laptop is actually consuming the one port on my desk I might look into a switch too...

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #812 of 1,659
05877082-4B7B-4451-B92B-F8F3C4A2DD78.jpeg

tidal on m30 with mac pro m1 ...

so my settings-
tidal( on exclusive mode) + m30 upscaled to 384 and on usb dac mode

why the hell it stops for few seconds after sometime ... on tidal ...
also sounds muddled in comparison to to tidal app of m30 😡

am i missing something...

Aug 22, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #813 of 1,659
Mmh
Not having this issue with my MacBook Pro 2017, maybe cabling issue?
What are your settings in MacOS for M30?

Aug 22, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #814 of 1,659
Mmh
Not having this issue with my MacBook Pro 2017, maybe cabling issue?
What are your settings in MacOS for M30?
51226C59-8FB9-43F8-ABC6-ED6C1722CCAE.jpeg
73E703C3-03C8-4356-85CE-688933C4CE15.jpeg

anything else required?

cable is ugreen ...

Aug 22, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #815 of 1,659

anything else required?

cable is ugreen ...
Can you check your mixer settings where the OS sample rates are set?
I can check my settings later today when daughter is in bed 😉

Aug 22, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #816 of 1,659
Can you check your mixer settings where the OS sample rates are set?
I can check my settings later today when daughter is in bed 😉
DADE643E-3022-418B-9011-046EF5A8D5C8.jpeg

take your time ... 👍

is this the setting ?
let me know if any change is required

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #817 of 1,659

take your time ... 👍

is this the setting ?
let me know if any change is required
Yep, that's the one.
I usually set it to a maximum value which is as close as possible to the maximum sample rate of the player app such as 24/96 in case of Apple Music because I am not sure how the M30 resampling is dealing with too high OS sample rate for applying additional resampling.
Is Tidal exclusive mode leading to the exact sample rate of Tidal app being displayed on M30? I.e is it bitperfect?
The only app doing that on my MacBook was Audirvana so far.
Amazon Music for example is always putting out 192khz on all operating systems also in exclusive mode no matter which sample rate the song does have but in their case I think it's part of the driver design so the unused bits are filled with zeros.
Will need to check Tidal native app exclusive mode later myself.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #818 of 1,659
@werewolff9
So I ve checked the Tidal settings once again and I am using the exclusive mode just like you.
M30 is showing the twice MQA unfold which is to be expected in DAC mode as full MQA unfold isn't supported there but only the twice unfold by the Tidal native app.
However as I learnt the M30 internal upsampling can be applied on top and there I am doing either DSD256 upsampling or upsampling to highest PCM bit rate.
SQ is great to my ears - no decrease to the M30 SQ.
1629667415379.png

Edit: one thing coming to my mind looking at the 2nd option "force volume" - this seems to be deactivated in your settings.
if you turn that on you will maximize digital volume from your MAC which is always the recommendation usually for digital sources.
So it could well be that a lower volume on your source might lead to a recognition of muffled sound compared to same volume wheel setting on your M30 playing from local Tidal app there as on M30 digital volume is always maxed out - in contrast to e.g IBASSO players where you can set DAC and amp volume separately.

Attachments

• tempImagehQfX0f.png
    tempImagehQfX0f.png
    9.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #819 of 1,659
Another thing I found out as I ve just applied my new managed Netgear switch to my working table:
M30 is only supporting 100 MBIT through ethernet and no Gigabit.
Whereas I think it's still sufficient for streaming hires it's still slower as my 250 MBIT Internet connection.
Couldn't measure the Wifi throughput of M30 but this kind of reminds me of other devices like e.g. FireTV or normal TVs which offer ethernet connection kits which then turn out to be slower then the built in WIFI...
Only advantage is that Ethernet isn't prone to noise and wifi conflicts

Aug 22, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #821 of 1,659
Shanling indicates the color of LED affects sound quality and setting it to color blue is the best. Has you folks found that to be the case? Or does it not matter 😂
honestly I considered this to be a nice spoof right from the start...
I am setting the color to my daily mood or not paying so much attention to it at all.
You can even switch it completely off.
Reminds me a bit of the HIRES sticker discussions...

Aug 22, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #822 of 1,659
Another thing I found out as I ve just applied my new managed Netgear switch to my working table:
M30 is only supporting 100 MBIT through ethernet and no Gigabit.
Whereas I think it's still sufficient for streaming hires it's still slower as my 250 MBIT Internet connection.
Couldn't measure the Wifi throughput of M30 but this kind of reminds me of other devices like e.g. FireTV or normal TVs which offer ethernet connection kits which then turn out to be slower then the built in WIFI...
Only advantage is that Ethernet isn't prone to noise and wifi conflicts
Speak of the the devil! 😈

I’ve just rearranged my computer setup so the M30 gets a hardwire Ethernet instead of wireless. I think 100mbits is enough for the foreseeable future, I believe you can stream 4K maybe even 8k on 100 mbps.

Aug 22, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #823 of 1,659
Speak of the the devil! 😈

I’ve just rearranged my computer setup so the M30 gets a hardwire Ethernet instead of wireless. I think 100mbits is enough for the foreseeable future, I believe you can stream 4K maybe even 8k on 100 mbps.
yes, guess you are right, it's just that 1Gbit is kind of a standard in home network cabling for don't know how many years and I find it strange each time I am encountering such outdated adapters in multi kilo buck devices...

Aug 22, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #824 of 1,659
yes, guess you are right, it's just that 1Gbit is kind of a standard in home network cabling for don't know how many years and I find it strange each time I am encountering such outdated adapters in multi kilo buck devices...
You’re telling me! Recently wired a couple rooms with Cat 8 (40 gbps) to future proof for the foreseeable future. Who knows how we will take advantage of this extra bandwidth.

God help me if we end up using Giga DSD hahah.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #825 of 1,659
You’re telling me! I recently wired the lower floor of the house with Cat 8 (40 gbps) to future proof for the foreseeable future. Who knows how we will take advantage of this extra bad with.

God help me if we end up using Giga DSD hahah
yep, once you anyway put in new cables when building or restoring a house it makes sense imho.
But I myself still have "only" a 4K TV but maybe in 10 years once our daughter is starting to have her own TV too and we are using like 4 TVs in the house in parallel plus streaming from iPads etc in 16 k or whatever is standard then we might need CAT8 cables :wink:
But then also my internet connection needs to get updated as it will be the bottleneck.

Stil only having Telekom copper wire here up to 250 MBIT, fibre channel is more the exception around and fastest standard is coming from cable TV providers if you are connected to their network here in Germany

Users who are viewing this thread

Back