Introducing Shanling EC Mini - Transportable CD Player & DAP
Dec 8, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #76 of 164
Actually, I have a Cayin RU6 dongle dac. Hadn't thought of trying that but might give it a go. Good luck with it.
The Qudelix and SR35 portable Dacs are what I really want to work with it. The Qudelix has the crazy amount of Peqs for a ridiculous amount of IEMs and headphones and the SR35 has some serious power for harder to drive headphones. I should see if it my KEF Meta wireless II speakers have a USB input, I think I saw a USB port on the back of it but I think it's just for service.

Dec 8, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #77 of 164
That's the fun thing about this. Different use cases. I am primarily going to use it on my computer desktop as headphone amp and dac and as a roon endpoint. Also to play the occasional cd not available on streaming.
I'm not primarily going to use it for critical listening as I am primarily a speaker guy, and though I have a Shanling M0 and M3 Ultra, they are primarily for out and about.
I do have iems but not super expensive ones and do settle down for serious headphone listening sometimes but use the Burson for that and a pair of Focal Elegia and old Beyer T90s
I will use it as a cd transport in my smaller two channel system occasionally.

It's just so versatile, it lends itself to people with very different use cases.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #78 of 164
That's the fun thing about this. Different use cases. I am primarily going to use it on my computer desktop as headphone amp and dac and as a roon endpoint. Also to play the occasional cd not available on streaming.
I'm not primarily going to use it for critical listening as I am primarily a speaker guy, and though I have a Shanling M0 and M3 Ultra, they are primarily for out and about.
I do have iems but not super expensive ones and do settle down for serious headphone listening sometimes but use the Burson for that and a pair of Focal Elegia and old Beyer T90s
I will use it as a cd transport in my smaller two channel system occasionally.

It's just so versatile, it lends itself to people with very different use cases.
Yeah it would be versatile to me if the USB Audio worked on those devices I list above. I'm going to try the Topping next. What firmware are you on? I updated my firmware to 2.2, but still no USB audio on the four devices I listed.

The 2.2 seems to make the CD read speeds a bit faster. Haven't tested the RCA outputs yet but the headphone out is pretty powerful and has no issues with the Dan Clark Aeon Noire 2.

Dec 8, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #79 of 164
Yeah it would be versatile to me if the USB Audio worked on those devices I list above. I'm going to try the Topping next. What firmware are you on? I updated my firmware to 2.2, but still no USB audio on the four devices I listed.

The 2.2 seems to make the CD read speeds a bit faster. Haven't tested the RCA outputs yet but the headphone out is pretty powerful and has no issues with the Dan Clark Aeon Noire 2.
Yep. On 2.2. Thought I should upgrade while I was struggling with the menu. Given your issues I popped up and tried the Cayin RU6 r2r dongle. It worked perfectly. Odd you are having so many problems. I just hooked it up to the Topping E50 and it works. A s you also have have one, why not give it a shot. If you have issues it could suggest you have a problem with the unit.

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #81 of 164
Yep. On 2.2. Thought I should upgrade while I was struggling with the menu. Given your issues I popped up and tried the Cayin RU6 r2r dongle. It worked perfectly. Odd you are having so many problems. I just hooked it up to the Topping E50 and it works. A s you also have have one, why not give it a shot. If you have issues it could suggest you have a problem with the unit.

I've tried every combination, but have not tried it with a Topping E50, since I don't have a USB type B to USB C cable. Ordered one to arrive this weekend just to see if it's the DAC's I'm using. Does it work while it's in Preout mode while playing a CD or headphone output mode? Also do you have DSD output as native, D2P or DOP. I'm just so confused why it won't work on my device, I just reset it to factory default and still no USB Audio. I really don't want to send it back since it took four weeks to get to me. <sigh>

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #82 of 164
We are checking further with software team on gapless for CD Playback, will post update once we have any.

USB output has a basic power for use with USB dongles.

ECMini works as USB DAC. There is no Input function.

USB Output outputs what you send through it, up to Hi-Res PCM and DSD.

USB Output on ECmini is built for use with USB DACs, USB to optical converters were not something we tested.
When playing a CD what is the output signal? PCM? What is the quality of the PCM 44.1 at 16 bits? The USB Audio out isn't working with four of my dacs. I know the Dac and Cable work because they are out outputting just fine from my phone.

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #83 of 164
When playing a CD what is the output signal? PCM? What is the quality of the PCM 44.1 at 16 bits? The USB Audio out isn't working with four of my dacs. I know the Dac and Cable work because they are out outputting just fine from my phone.
It works in preout mode when playing a cd through the usb output and outputs to the DAC at the expected 44.1. Don't think my DAC shows the bit rate but it will be 16 bits. Pretty sure the mini does not upsample, unlike its ET3 big brother.
Have you tried fiddling with the modes in your outboard DACs. I presume for example your DAP needs to be set to DAC mode. I'm sure you have, but sometimes we forget the obvious. Like, ahem, swiping down...
Once you try the new cable with the E50 you will.know for sure if the USB output works or doesn't.

Have you tried Shanling support ? They operate on Twitter and Facebook ( neither of which I use, which is a pain. They also have an email address but are not quick to respond ).

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Jim

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #84 of 164
Are the classic Shanling CD-T's are still available somewhere? Someone has to have some still.
You see them very occasionally on eBay in the UK, but a lot of them failed abd parts are no.longer available. I had the lovely scd 200T valve SACD player which failed, though it was my fault.
I bought it as a gray import from Hong Kong to the UK which meant it was running at slightly the wrong voltage. It shouldn't have been a problem, but it increased the wear on the components and only lasted a few years. When I eventually rescued it from under a bed and trued to get it fixed just as the pandemic hit, the relevant part was no longer available world wide.
Beautiful, and great sounding machine for both cd and sacd, with good headphone output. I also had a pair of Shanling valve monoblocks. Probably the component I most regret selling. Would have worked great with my current speakers the Elysian 4 s

Dec 9, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #86 of 164
This looks interesting. It is powered by a pair of 18650 batteries. @Shanling this implies they can be replaced if needed. Is this the case? Can one open the unit and replace the batteries? Maybe those that have units can answer as well?

I'm interested in this - this looks perfect to me outside of the gapless issue. But I also have had a number of issues with batteries swelling and destroying some of the audio devices and would be even more interested in this if the batteries were replaceable.

Dec 9, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #87 of 164
I'm interested in this - this looks perfect to me outside of the gapless issue. But I also have had a number of issues with batteries swelling and destroying some of the audio devices and would be even more interested in this if the batteries were replaceable.
Yah I wouldn't buy unless they were replaceable. One of the pics of the unit you can find online looks like they are, but who knows.

800x.jpg

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #88 of 164
Well it works with the Topping E50 through USB, so I'm thinking the output has to match the capabilities of the Dac which is causing the issues with the other four Dacs. Thus I'm curious to know what the native output of the player is.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #89 of 164
Yep. I wondered if it perhaps did not put out enough juice via the usb port to power passive DACs like dongle DACs, but it does power my Cayon RU6, and your DAP has its own power supply.
The documentation says the line out is 2.1v, but I presume this relates to the analog line out.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #90 of 164
Yep. I wondered if it perhaps did not put out enough juice via the usb port to power passive DACs like dongle DACs, but it does power my Cayon RU6, and your DAP has its own power supply.
The documentation says the line out is 2.1v, but I presume this relates to the analog line out.
I checked the usb out with my usb detector when connected to the Topping and, unsurprisingly, it puts out 5.2 volts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back