Introducing ONI IEM - World's First All MEMS Transducers IEM
Apr 19, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #46 of 74
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #47 of 74
I was trying to stay out of this back and forth, but come on guys...

Shop link for the Megaclite 4.0 if you fancy experiencing pure MEMs IEM with USB C DSP for $280 rather than $1800.
Well, on the same note: why buy Sony Z1R for $1699 when you can experience a single DD IEM for $20 with KZ ZVX? Same experience (since both are 1 DD) - right? :smirk:

Apr 19, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #48 of 74

Well, on the same note: why buy Sony Z1R for $1699 when you can experience a single DD IEM for $20 with KZ ZVX? Same experience (since both are 1 DD) - right? :smirk:

The point myself and others have been making is that the Oni is not the world's first Mems-only iem and is several years late to make that claim, which is not only misleading to consumers but also disrespects those who have been developing Mems products already for quite a while.

As to sound quality-neither reviewer of the Megaclite 4.0 & the Oni were massively impressed, both seeing the limitations of the tech and looking further down the road at future potential.

The consumer is being asked to shell out a lot on developmental tech from a start-up, that has not been widely reviewed, with lukewarm initial impressions. If one is willing to take such a risk, better $280 than $1800, no?

If you think the Oni is on the level or better than the Sony Z1R, that is honestly great, I hope it is. Producing a great sounding Mems will have a big impact on the market & push more companies to develop this technology.

Right now though, you're asking people to take a very pricey leap of faith.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #49 of 74
The point myself and others have been making is that the Oni is not the world's first Mems-only iem and is several years late to make that claim, which is not only misleading to consumers but also disrespects those who have been developing Mems products already for quite a while.
As far as I know, there are no commercial IEMs (as opposed to demo / reference-design) that use all-MEMS transducers. So, I do not think the statement is misleading.
The Usound product that was linked to is not a commercial product.

As to sound quality-neither reviewer of the Megaclite 4.0 & the Oni were massively impressed, both seeing the limitations of the tech and looking further down the road at future potential.
I have personally witnessed dozens of people auditioning the ONI, both at CanJam NYC and in other 1-on-1 opportunities. Everyone was impressed. Not everyone bothered to post or write about it.
I have never heard (or know anyone who has) the Megaclite, so cannot comment on that one.

If you think the Oni is on the level or better than the Sony Z1R, that is honestly great, I hope it is. Producing a great sounding Mems will have a big impact on the market & push more companies to develop this technology.
At CanJam NYC - several audiophiles that own $3K+ IEMs told me that the ONI is on the same level in term of technicalities.

Right now though, you're asking people to take a very pricey leap of faith.
ONI is not priced to fit everyone's budget for audio toys. Some people already took this leap of faith.
Once ONI reviews start showing up - it will help others make a decision without requiring a leap of faith.

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #50 of 74
As far as I know, there are no commercial IEMs (as opposed to demo / reference-design) that use all-MEMS transducers. So, I do not think the statement is misleading.
The Usound product that was linked to is not a commercial product.

I have personally witnessed dozens of people auditioning the ONI, both at CanJam NYC and in other 1-on-1 opportunities. Everyone was impressed. Not everyone bothered to post or write about it.
I have never heard (or know anyone who has) the Megaclite, so cannot comment on that one.

At CanJam NYC - several audiophiles that own $3K+ IEMs told me that the ONI is on the same level in term of technicalities.

ONI is not priced to fit everyone's budget for audio toys. Some people already took this leap of faith.
Once ONI reviews start showing up - it will help others make a decision without requiring a leap of faith.
The Megaclite is advertised on their website and available to buy online, though it appears discontinued, very much a commercial product, just not a recent one as a few years old.

They had older models as well which were sold commercially, also single MEMs.

They also sell MEMs of different designs for differing applications and equipment to test and develop MEMs.

They are a commercial company & given the size of the MEMs market I am very surprised if you are not familiar with them.

As I said before, I hope the Oni is great, and if you have had good feedback that is promising, looking forward to the reviews!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #51 of 74
Hi, sorry I can't find any mention that it has a DD, only a single full range MEMs , can you
The Megaclite is advertised on their website and available to buy online, though it appears discontinued, very much a commercial product, just not a recent one as a few years old.

They had older models as well which were sold commercially, also single MEMs.

They also sell MEMs of different designs for differing applications and equipment to test and develop MEMs.

They are a commercial company & given the size of the MEMs market I am very surprised if you are not familiar with them.

As I said before, I hope the Oni is great, and if you have had good feedback that is promising, looking forward to the reviews!
To clear things up I’m going to reword the title more properly so hopefully things become clearer. Thank you for your effort it has made me realize we need to be more clear as a company with our wording.

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #52 of 74

Just a quick correction, the IER-Z1R is a 2DD/1BA setup. I agree with the general argument, but the facts in evidence are incorrect.

I'll be waiting for a full 3rd party examination with measurements. Need some hard numbers to be convinced this is better than currently available summit-fi options since the price indicates that's the field they want to compete in.

Apr 20, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #53 of 74
I'll be waiting for a full 3rd party examination with measurements
Not taking side here (because I’m not courageous enough to put $1500 on a prototype), but I think you are putting too much stocks on a few measurements. And yes, I consider distortion, waterfall, and that sorts of stuffs as well. How many times precious measurements fail to capture the “technical performance” (however you quantify it) that is clearly audible in subjective listening? If we follow measurebator logic, truthear zero should be the pinnacle of IEM industry.

Would be great if the manufacturer can run a couple review tours though. I’m eager to measure the frequency response of these ones.

Apr 20, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #54 of 74
Not taking side here (because I’m not courageous enough to put $1500 on a prototype), but I think you are putting too much stocks on a few measurements. And yes, I consider distortion, waterfall, and that sorts of stuffs as well. How many times precious measurements fail to capture the “technical performance” (however you quantify it) that is clearly audible in subjective listening? If we follow measurebator logic, truthear zero should be the pinnacle of IEM industry.

Would be great if the manufacturer can run a couple review tours though. I’m eager to measure the frequency response of these ones.
The difference in technical performance between the Variations and the Anole V14 is very much audible, and measurements revealed this to likely be the case (~1% harmonic distortion in the low end of the Variations vs <0.5% in the V14).

You are not mistaken in the generally overblown value of measurements, as I have noticed intangible qualities that didn't show up in an FR graph or THD graph. I don't base my decisions solely on measurements as a result and try to demo before finalizing my opinion. However, measurements do provide indicators on what a particular product is capable of, and generally those indicators have shown to be sound as long as the testing methodology was valid.

I don't know much, but I do know that human beings are extremely unreliable at accurate memory recall and compensating for bias. Reproducible measurements and graphs are far more transparent and trustworthy to me.

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #55 of 74
I, for one, have placed my order. I was lucky enough to spend some significant time with these at CanJam NYC and checked them back to back with several other IEMs in my collection including the U12T. These destroyed them. These are the Stax of the IEM world, in my opinion. Yes, they require some extra bias voltage, but they're absolutely worth the price. I've heard far more expensive IEMs that are absolutely worse than these. These are reminiscent of the Warwick Bravura - they have an excellent tuning while being insanely fast.

The shell design, while odd, was surprisingly comfortable. Probably not for side sleepers, but otherwise surprisingly comfy. I can't wait to receive my set, and you can be sure I'll also be sending them to some reviews friends of mine. Congrats on the launch, @nickpa, @Zachik, and everyone else involved!

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #57 of 74
Shop link for the Megaclite 4.0 if you fancy experiencing pure MEMs IEM with USB C DSP for $280 rather than $1800. As the review I linked above notes though, it's not going to blow you away being essentially developmental tech but if you're curious...

https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/usound-gmbh/UH-R2040/14671801
For what its worth, the megaclite is kind of "unfinished" (bad) sounding. Decent detail, weird timbre, barely any bass. Will murder your ears on sibilants too.

Can't expect too much when they just shoved a driver into a shell with zero optimization, I guess.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #58 of 74
I, for one, am intrigued by the fact that the developers are absolutely certain that this will be the next big thing. That makes it worth following, at least. Best of luck.

Jun 7, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #60 of 74
For what its worth, the megaclite is kind of "unfinished" (bad) sounding. Decent detail, weird timbre, barely any bass. Will murder your ears on sibilants too.

Can't expect too much when they just shoved a driver into a shell with zero optimization, I guess.
Hats off for giving them a try. Supposedly they did their own DSP, as the ONI are doing to theirs (though with 2 vs 1 per side). As your, and the previous linked review note, results are not great.

For what its worth, the Megaclite 4.0 is now a few years old, the MEMS drivers older still, and they have produced updated MEMS drivers since.

I have actually purchased a couple of pairs of their newer MEMS models to mess around with, though it must be said that to utilise them at full range (as with any MEMS) , you need to do a tad more than just a bit of soldering, which is probably beyond my skill at this stage, however, as in the IMR Seraph, they can be used to cover part of the range in conjunction with other drivers without the use of an internal amplifier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back