Introducing ONI IEM - World's First All MEMS Transducers IEM
Apr 9, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #16 of 74
These will not run on anything you have available. Early adopters with money to splash out only. Aparently they are betting big time on TW due to the electicity power it requires to run. Headphones.com has an early impression and it doesn't look that great tbh.

https://headphones.com/blogs/featur...ook-at-mems-the-next-step-for-in-ear-monitors
I think there's a lot in this article that is being critical for the sake of being critical. But to each their own. I would argue that this technology is absolutely revolutionary.

I just want to point out that these don't require massive ammount of power to drive. They require phantom power, similar to the way a microphone does. So the good news on the amp front is that the technology to make amps compatible is already developed and easily implemented. It's just that we have to wait on the manufacturing side to implement it.

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #17 of 74
@Pigeon X Sure but those guys review audio gear for a living. I liked the article because it was totally unbiased and it shows that it has great potential but the criticism was spot on. They don't look like it will fit well most of people. There's a noticeable timbre, driver combinations, TW and all being great in a near future. I am also looking forward for this new driver to come along but this tech still in its infancy.
You have to agree that this is now for the early adopters come on...

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #19 of 74
Apr 10, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #21 of 74
I can’t tell if it’s real or not. I have only seen 3D renders of it so far. No reviews or anything? As far as I know we are the first. I just contacted our partnering company and they haven’t heard of them eitheir so I’m not sure what’s going on honestly.
Hey Nick,
it does seem to be real. There is a guy in one of my discord channels who has it. He's been posting pictures and impressions. Yours is at least the first pure mems set.

Apr 10, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #23 of 74
You really have to listen to it to understand. But mems driver are on a whole new level of detail and accuracy. I can't overstate how shocking the experience was. It was truly like it had no sound of its own. Every time the track changed It sounded like a totally different iem, because it was so accurately preserving the audio engineering of each track without any coloration. These are going to be a dream come true for audio engineers.
This. I am (obviously) biased, but I can honestly say that IEMs designed with our microspeakers sound quite different from anything you have been used to.
The 2 most noticeable qualities that audiophiles would detect right away:
a. Super fast impulse response
b. Phase shift of 2 degree from 20Hz to 10kHz and beyond (Dynamic Drivers get to 180 degrees in the mids onward)

The result is clarity, resolution, separation and imaging like no other transducer.

Apr 10, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #24 of 74
Is this really the world’s first though ? What about this one - https://imracoustics.com/collections/instock/products/seraph

Hey Nick,
it does seem to be real. There is a guy in one of my discord channels who has it. He's been posting pictures and impressions. Yours is at least the first pure mems set.
Looks like IMR is designing a hybrid of sorts. I do not have personal experience or opinion on the MEMS driver they are using (in addition to quite a few BAs). That is NOT a driver by xMEMS.
In comparison, ONI is a dual-Montara (xMEMS' full-range microspeakers) IEM. No crossovers. No DD / BA / eStat. Just xMEMS microspeakers.

Apr 12, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #25 of 74
I can’t tell if it’s real or not. I have only seen 3D renders of it so far. No reviews or anything? As far as I know we are the first. I just contacted our partnering company and they haven’t heard of them eitheir so I’m not sure what’s going on honestly.
IMR Acoustics is a well known brand especially here on Head-Fi. There is a dedicated thread as well.
They are most popular for their bass head IEM the IMR BC.

Apr 12, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #26 of 74
Looks like IMR is designing a hybrid of sorts. I do not have personal experience or opinion on the MEMS driver they are using (in addition to quite a few BAs). That is NOT a driver by xMEMS.
In comparison, ONI is a dual-Montara (xMEMS' full-range microspeakers) IEM. No crossovers. No DD / BA / eStat. Just xMEMS microspeakers.
I was just pointing out your title that this is not the first IEM with MEMS. IMR already sold Seraphs in the past, it ain‘t new.
Saying yours is a pure MEMS sounds like saying world‘s first DD only or BA only IEM.

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #27 of 74
This. I am (obviously) biased, but I can honestly say that IEMs designed with our microspeakers sound quite different from anything you have been used to.
The 2 most noticeable qualities that audiophiles would detect right away:
a. Super fast impulse response
b. Phase shift of 2 degree from 20Hz to 10kHz and beyond (Dynamic Drivers get to 180 degrees in the mids onward)

The result is clarity, resolution, separation and imaging like no other transducer.
Is there any frequency response graph available? I’m curious what sort of tuning these IEMs are going to have.

Will wait for next gen products at a more friendly price to blind buy, but I am very curious about this technology.

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #28 of 74
IMR Acoustics is a well known brand especially here on Head-Fi. There is a dedicated thread as well.
They are most popular for their bass head IEM the IMR BC.
It's like the guy in the watercooler who boosted a new UE release that came up with the phrase of the "industry-leading 21 drivers per ear" while we already had those for a while and even a 24 driver IEM (24MAD) for years. Sometimes these companies just do not invest into any market research at all.

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #29 of 74
Is there any frequency response graph available? I’m curious what sort of tuning these IEMs are going to have.
That will have to come from the folks at Singularity. Can't help you there...

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #30 of 74
That will have to come from the folks at Singularity. Can't help you there...
Wait, just realised that xMEMS and Singularity are two different entities :beyersmile: Thanks anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back