Introducing ONI IEM - World's First All MEMS Transducers IEM
Apr 1, 2023 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

nickpa

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi community!

Introducing the Singularity ONI IEM, the first in-ear monitor to use silicon MEMS transducers for unmatched sonic clarity and speed in a compact, lightweight form.

Limited Offer: The first 100 units have a special introductory price, after which it increases to $1,800.00. Act fast to secure your ONI IEM!

ONI IEM Highlights:
  • Twin xMEMS Montara drivers: Unprecedented speed and accuracy for beautiful, precise music reproduction.
  • Tiny, lightweight form factor: Billet grade 5 titanium; 5 grams weight and 19mm length for ultimate comfort.
  • Damping and isolation: 3D-printed elastomeric core for improved sound accuracy and extreme durability.
  • Vented audio path: Comfortable listening experience while attenuating background noise.
  • In-cable amplification: High-fidelity listening from USB-C or Lightning devices and discrete amplifier compatibility via MMCX connectors.

Order your ONI IEM on our website now! Limited to the first 100 units, US shipping only. Delivery in approx. 8 weeks from purchase.

Experience the future of audio reproduction with Singularity ONI IEM! Share your thoughts with us.

Visit our website: https://www.singularityaud.io/

Happy listening!

Attachments

• IMG_3742.jpg
    IMG_3742.jpg
    645.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 3, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 74
I heard the mems prototype at canjam and they are 100% about to change the entire audio industry. Mems drivers are unbelievably detailed and transparent. Like nothing I've ever heard before. I can't wait to hear the Oni. Everyone on this website should be paying attention to these.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 74
Hey Head-Fi community!

Introducing the Singularity ONI IEM, the first in-ear monitor to use silicon MEMS transducers for unmatched sonic clarity and speed in a compact, lightweight form.

Limited Offer: The first 100 units have a special introductory price, after which it increases to $1,800.00. Act fast to secure your ONI IEM!

ONI IEM Highlights:
  • Twin xMEMS Montara drivers: Unprecedented speed and accuracy for beautiful, precise music reproduction.
  • Tiny, lightweight form factor: Billet grade 5 titanium; 5 grams weight and 19mm length for ultimate comfort.
  • Damping and isolation: 3D-printed elastomeric core for improved sound accuracy and extreme durability.
  • Vented audio path: Comfortable listening experience while attenuating background noise.
  • In-cable amplification: High-fidelity listening from USB-C or Lightning devices and discrete amplifier compatibility via MMCX connectors.

Order your ONI IEM on our website now! Limited to the first 100 units, US shipping only. Delivery in approx. 8 weeks from purchase.

Experience the future of audio reproduction with Singularity ONI IEM! Share your thoughts with us.

Visit our website: https://www.singularityaud.io/

Happy listening!
Hey,
Do you have any info about or pictures of the in-cable amplifier?
I'm curious how mems amplifiers differ from standard amplifiers.

Also any pictures of the packaging?

Apr 4, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 74
Hmm... Looks exotic, tech seems new to this market. From what I'm seeing, not sure how this surpasses electrostatic tech though. 0.5% THD at 1kHz 94dB is not exactly world ending given BAs post similar numbers and electrostats post far superior numbers. I'll reserve full judgement until I can demo in person, but unremarkable on paper as far as SQ goes. At the asking price, this is competing against quite good hybrid/tribrid sets using BAs & ESTs.

Looks like the benefits of MEMS tech are primarily in logistics and efficiency. The operating principle seems similar to planar magnetic tech, but it's very compact and electrically efficient, so I'd imagine these will start leaking into budget IEMs, raising the quality floor significantly while the form factor becomes easier to render ergonomic.

Apr 4, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 74
Hmm... Looks exotic, tech seems new to this market. From what I'm seeing, not sure how this surpasses electrostatic tech though. 0.5% THD at 1kHz 94dB is not exactly world ending given BAs post similar numbers and electrostats post far superior numbers. I'll reserve full judgement until I can demo in person, but unremarkable on paper as far as SQ goes. At the asking price, this is competing against quite good hybrid/tribrid sets using BAs & ESTs.

Looks like the benefits of MEMS tech are primarily in logistics and efficiency. The operating principle seems similar to planar magnetic tech, but it's very compact and electrically efficient, so I'd imagine these will start leaking into budget IEMs, raising the quality floor significantly while the form factor becomes easier to render ergonomic.
You really have to listen to it to understand. But mems driver are on a whole new level of detail and accuracy. I can't overstate how shocking the experience was. It was truly like it had no sound of its own. Every time the track changed It sounded like a totally different iem, because it was so accurately preserving the audio engineering of each track without any coloration. These are going to be a dream come true for audio engineers.

I haven't heard the Oni yet, but mems drivers are the next leap forward in audio.

I think you're right though, the manufacturing on mems drivers seems to be very efficient and I'd expect them to appear in cheaper sets eventually.

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 74
It's interesting. But $1.5k for experimental looking gears backed by words and few photos. Should be a good testament on audiophiles' bank accounts. I'd expect something like this would do better on Kickstarter.
I would normally agree with this sentiment. I pinch pennies very hard. But having heard a mems demo at canjam, I'm surprised this is as cheap as it is. The single driver mems set I tried was honestly better than every other flagship iem or headphone I tried at canjam. And I tried pretty much everything.

Haven't tried the Oni of course. But the mems rep showed me his Oni prototype and he thought it was an improvement over the demo unit.

So in summation, hype hype hypety hype. I think this could be the most capable audio reproduction device on the market. Fingers crossed. So I think the price is justified.

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 74
Following :)

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #13 of 74
I would normally agree with this sentiment. I pinch pennies very hard. But having heard a mems demo at canjam, I'm surprised this is as cheap as it is. The single driver mems set I tried was honestly better than every other flagship iem or headphone I tried at canjam. And I tried pretty much everything.

Haven't tried the Oni of course. But the mems rep showed me his Oni prototype and he thought it was an improvement over the demo unit.

So in summation, hype hype hypety hype. I think this could be the most capable audio reproduction device on the market. Fingers crossed. So I think the price is justified.
I have heard the prototype at CanJam as well. I was very impressed their performance. But I'm sure the ONI would have a different tuning than the prototype. Regardless of how good the ONI may be, I still feel reluctant to spend $1500 (MSRP $1800) on a pair of proprietary IEMs that would not sound "right" without the proprietary DSP cable. Also, these are open back design. Similar application and usage to my LCD-i4. If they are really a disruptor in the IEMs market, I am sure there will be more to come in the future (hopefully at a lower price).

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 74
I have heard the prototype at CanJam as well. I was very impressed their performance. But I'm sure the ONI would have a different tuning than the prototype. Regardless of how good the ONI may be, I still feel reluctant to spend $1500 (MSRP $1800) on a pair of proprietary IEMs that would not sound "right" without the proprietary DSP cable. Also, these are open back design. Similar application and usage to my LCD-i4. If they are really a disruptor in the IEMs market, I am sure there will be more to come in the future (hopefully at a lower price).
Tuning-wise I believe they are intended to be the same. In the below video, Zachi, the product marketing rep for Xmems says that the demo unit is the prototype for the Oni. The Oni is using 2 drivers rather than the single driver in the Prototype, but they are both running full range with no crossover, solely for the sake of raising the SPL, and not for tuning.

Yeah we may have to wait for some more amps to come out. The xmems drivers wont make any sound at all without the to 10v bias. The good news is that adding the 10v bias required to make these run should be fairly simple for manufacturers to actually implement. I'm hopeful that ifi will start adding Xmems switches into their cheaper amps as well.

Also these are not open back in the same way the LCD-i series are open back. They have venting but shouldn't be letting sound pass through in either direction. at least that was the case with the prototype. They were very isolating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back