Introducing ONI IEM - World's First All MEMS Transducers IEM
Apr 13, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #34 of 74
This. I am (obviously) biased, but I can honestly say that IEMs designed with our microspeakers sound quite different from anything you have been used to.
The 2 most noticeable qualities that audiophiles would detect right away:
a. Super fast impulse response
b. Phase shift of 2 degree from 20Hz to 10kHz and beyond (Dynamic Drivers get to 180 degrees in the mids onward)

The result is clarity, resolution, separation and imaging like no other transducer.
Do you have a link to measurements comparing these Montara drivers to Knowles BAs, Sonion ESTs, PMs, and true electrostatics?

That's quite a claim, if these can outperform my Anole V14 and stax L700, I'll be on the market.

Apr 14, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #36 of 74
These will not run on anything you have available. Early adopters with money to splash out only. Aparently they are betting big time on TW due to the electicity power it requires to run. Headphones.com has an early impression and it doesn't look that great tbh.

https://headphones.com/blogs/featur...ook-at-mems-the-next-step-for-in-ear-monitors

Hey, guy who wrote that impressions post here!

I think there's a lot in this article that is being critical for the sake of being critical. But to each their own. I would argue that this technology is absolutely revolutionary.

I just want to point out that these don't require massive ammount of power to drive. They require phantom power, similar to the way a microphone does. So the good news on the amp front is that the technology to make amps compatible is already developed and easily implemented. It's just that we have to wait on the manufacturing side to implement it.

I do think the technology has the potential to change the landscape. It's super cool and it presents a very unique sound to complement the driver types we have. But I don't think it will make what we currently have obsolete. I view it like estats. For those who like it, they'll LOVE it. There's a superb sense of articulation, especially in the treble. But it's in a bit of a different class because it does require specialized electronics. The power itself isn't the barrier. Which is why I'm happy to see the ONI comes with a USB-C cable that can power it.

On the note of being critical, I can agree that there can be a tendency to point out all the flaws. When I write, I try to do it from the perspective as if I would actually consider buying it. I definitely would want to know all the major and minor flaws or if there was anything I needed to watch out for that might've been a deal breaker for me. $1,500 is a lot of money to spend blindly. To my knowledge that article is one of the only (if not the only) written pieces on these IEMs. I felt that it was especially important to capture as much pros and cons as possible in that article since there's practically next to no other information on them.

@Pigeon X Sure but those guys review audio gear for a living. I liked the article because it was totally unbiased and it shows that it has great potential but the criticism was spot on. They don't look like it will fit well most of people. There's a noticeable timbre, driver combinations, TW and all being great in a near future. I am also looking forward for this new driver to come along but this tech still in its infancy.
You have to agree that this is now for the early adopters come on...

For the record, I work a regular boring old day job for a living :robot:. I've just been fortunate that Headphones.com has given me the opportunity to review gear with them and that has given me wider access to things I would never had a chance to touch. It also helps with being unbiased (as reasonably possible). I'm still very much a hobbyist at heart like everyone in this hobby!

Hopefully I'll get a chance to review the ONI properly in the future!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #37 of 74
I have the feeling this will finally be the technology that can surpass Stax headphones.
From what I’ve learnt, those drivers will not be used in full size headphones. They can’t be implemented as a hybrid setup with other types of driver for anything bigger than IEMs. They can’t physical move enough air to produce low frequencies in a larger scale.

Apr 15, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #38 of 74
Need a white paper here, about the "Mems" tech... 🤔

Apr 19, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #40 of 74
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #41 of 74
From what I’ve learnt, those drivers will not be used in full size headphones. They can’t be implemented as a hybrid setup with other types of driver for anything bigger than IEMs. They can’t physical move enough air to produce low frequencies in a larger scale.
It has been done, not sure how successfully though! https://usound.com/product/3d-audio-headphones/

Apr 19, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #42 of 74
The Megaclite 4.0, 4th iteration of Usound's single MEMs iem has been around since at least 2020 I believe, not even close to being world first. Need to check when their first iteration came out but 2018 or earlier I think.

https://usound.com/product/wired-earphones-reference-design/

https://audioxpress.com/article/fresh-from-the-bench-usound-megaclite-4-0-uh-r2040-mems-earphones
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/the-worlds-first-truly-monolithic-mems-speaker-hits-market/

They use a hybrid design that is not a pure monolithic design. It has a dynamic driver on it. This is the first all mems iem with two monolithic transducers in it.

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #43 of 74
Apr 19, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #45 of 74

Users who are viewing this thread

Back